Prospect Info: Jacob Olofsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Eller's lack of vision was so frustrating at times. Still he was a solid 200 foot guy who liked to push the attack and was a good competitor who elevates his game in the playoffs.

Sure there were plenty of moments when Eller brought the puck into the O zone, stickhandled a bit and then , nothing. So vision for sure an issue. But. He invariably was centering lugs. When he had chances to centre some skill on the wing I thought he did better. Just never lasted. Always hoped he would have some skill on the wing and just leave the line alone.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Sure there were plenty of moments when Eller brought the puck into the O zone, stickhandled a bit and then , nothing. So vision for sure an issue. But. He invariably was centering lugs. When he had chances to centre some skill on the wing I thought he did better. Just never lasted. Always hoped he would have some skill on the wing and just leave the line alone.

yeah now that we have a plethora of wingers, it would be interesting to see him at least between Hudon and Lehkonen.

Reactions: yianik

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
The biggest knocks on Olofsson from what I saw watching the U18's was his consistency. He would have a great shift, the look invisible. I'm happy we drafted him though he has a lot of talent and I agree he has 2C upside IF he can put it all together.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Dont forget his constant offsides! He tended not to use his team mates either. Still, in hindsight, they should have kept him.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I don't think it's too early to say he has 2C upside, but we all agree his likely upside is a two way 3C.

His points per game for his age last year tracks well. He flashes all the tools. Consistency seems to be the issue and some players never find it.

But potentially playing 1C in the SHL as a 18-19 year old, that's pretty impressive.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Th 3rd C track makes sense due to him being a late 2nd rounder... but pre draft I viewed him as a potential top 6 C and nothing has happened since for me to change that opinion besides his unexplainable drop on draft day. He lacks explosiveness, but every other quality projects as good to great. The grade I had for him predraft wasn't far behind the grade I had for Poehling a year ago who everyone knows I really liked. A big post draft year and he could be on that Poehling track. I feel like I'm repeating myself, but what a tremendous steal.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Th 3rd C track makes sense due to him being a late 2nd rounder... but pre draft I viewed him as a potential top 6 C and nothing has happened since for me to change that opinion besides his unexplainable drop on draft day. He lacks explosiveness, but every other quality projects as good to great. The grade I had for him predraft wasn't far behind the grade I had for Poehling a year ago who everyone knows I really liked. A big post draft year and he could be on that Poehling track. I feel like I'm repeating myself, but what a tremendous steal.
I won’t comment too much on him because i’ve only seen couple of youtube video and live rookie camp of him but, lackk explosiveness? He was ranked one of the best in skating acceleration at the draft, it’s one of his strenght, doesn’t have the best top end speed tho!

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
I have a good feeling about the kid. Could see him become a 50 pts center for us. From my limited time watching him, I agree with most that consistency is the thing to work on. However, I never truly care for consistency in a 18YO player as most of the time it stabilizes itself by getting more experience.

If he displays the same level in 2-3 years, I might change my opinion.

Johnny31

Aug 4, 2017
It must have something with this kid. In the rookie camp in July he was displaying clearly 1st rounder skill with his stickhandling and vision with good positionning, good size and at center position. The knock on consitency must be pretty big!

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I won’t comment too much on him because i’ve only seen couple of youtube video and live rookie camp of him but, lackk explosiveness? He was ranked one of the best in skating acceleration at the draft, it’s one of his strenght, doesn’t have the best top end speed tho!
That wasn't meant as a dis, as he's not a bad skater nor is he slow, but he's hardly a guy who's going to be explosive out there with his skating when he gets to the NHL. He's going to win with his smarts and his skills.

Janne Niinimaa

"Character"
Sep 28, 2017
Montreal
He definitely has the upside as a #2 C but he would nicely slot in under Kotkanemi and Poehling in a perfect scenario.

Kotkaniemi
Poehling
Olofsson
De La Rose

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
That wasn't meant as a dis, as he's not a bad skater nor is he slow, but he's hardly a guy who's going to be explosive out there with his skating when he gets to the NHL. He's going to win with his smarts and his skills.
I know it wasn’t a diss, every player has his weakness but Olofsson explosiveness and acceleration is suppose to be his strenght!

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I know it wasn’t a diss, every player has his weakness but Olofsson explosiveness and acceleration is suppose to be his strenght!
I'd say his smarts is his biggest strength, and when you combine those smarts with good size and skill level I think that is his upside. I wouldn't say his explosiveness is a strength at all, he's not going to win with speed in the NHL.

But regardless, we'll see. Big fan of the player. I'd have happily taken him late round 1 if we had had a pick in that range.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Scouts before the draft talked about Olofsson. They would watch him in warm up and he would show everything you want in a big frame. Then when the game happened, he wouldn't flash all that much, depending on the game. His own coach says he thinks defense a bit too much.

He does have good offensive ability but if he doesn't bring out a killer instinct, then those skills won't ever be used enough to be a 2C. That's what it comes down to.

Reactions: G0bias

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Why? Poehling has goid 2C potential, but theres little skill to put up more than 50 IMO, Olofsson had that.
Guy only had the hockey play of the year and was turning guys inside out at development camp, but ya, little skill there lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad