Speculation: Jacob Markstrom Blocked Trade to the Los Angeles Kings

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Seems like both Devils fans and Montreal fans owe Jake Allen an apology. Devils fans because not one of us wanted to trade for him and Montreal fans because they desperately wanted to trade him.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Seems like both Devils fans and Montreal fans owe Jake Allen an apology. Devils fans because not one of us wanted to trade for him and Montreal fans because they desperately wanted to trade him.
It's 6 regular season games. It's not that he's terrible per se, it's that he has struggled mightily in pressure situations throughout his career.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
It's 6 regular season games. It's not that he's terrible per se, it's that he has struggled mightily in pressure situations throughout his career.
In 6 games he’s given the Devils better goaltending than we’ve gotten all year. I’m sure the struggles will come but he’s been exactly what the team needs. Just average to solid goaltending.

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
Not really a fan of getting threads off track, but Canadiens fans do not owe Jake Allen an apology. Montreal had three goaltenders, needed to trade one, and Allen was the oldest on a rebuilding team. Most of us were able to look past his stats this season and know he isn't garbage.

As for Jacob Markstrom, he has a NTC in his contract and he every right to invoke that clause.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Given how poorly Markstrom has played recently, his age and him calling the shots after pissing him off, you have to think Calgary fumbled this.

I mean the team in front of him has changed a fair bit, and based on his qotes i think it is fair to question his hart, he is still a top level goaltender IMO.

I agree though the flames fumbled, and he should be shut down for asset protection. Too bad Vladar is out.

Reactions: Jason MacIsaac

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I mean the team in front of him has changed a fair bit, and based on his qotes i think it is fair to question his hart, he is still a top level goaltender IMO.

I agree though the flames fumbled, and he should be shut down for asset protection. Too bad Vladar is out.
I agree, a major injury would be the absolute worst thing for Calgary and New Jersey, who I still believe will trade for him.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Of course a 5 game sample size with an injury in the middle is going o tell you the whole story :laugh:
Markstrom has been an 0.879 since valentines day

Yeah, Markstrom has not been good this month:

View attachment 842200

Meanwhile, the Devils have been getting really good goaltending since the TDL:

View attachment 842203
Go back longer than that. Since Valentine's day (when the alleged trade was cancelled by calgary ownership).

Markstrom: 10 games, 0.879, 3.5 GAA, -2 GSAx

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Mark's
Markstrom has been an 0.879 since valentines day

Go back longer than that. Since Valentine's day (when the alleged trade was cancelled by calgary ownership).

Markstrom: 10 games, 0.879, 3.5 GAA, -2 GSAx

The dots connect, seeing how this was after flames ownership pissed him off.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Have you watched NJ play in front of him since the trade? Every moment of every game is a pressure situation behind the defense whose average age is middle school.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Maybe he's just a shy guy, he didn't want a statue built of him when he leaves the kings.
good one.
what statue is so insulting to you? For some reason people (Paul Coffey) seem upset about Brown's, when really I feel he was more deserving than Luc or Gretzky. Statues are not something every team does and I get that. I like it more than jersey retirement as eventually we will run out numbers right?

Reactions: MCB

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Maybe he's just a shy guy, he didn't want a statue built of him when he leaves the kings.
1711578515300.png

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
I find Kypreos to be....kind of full of it most of the time.

So I give this almost zero credence. Not really sure if Calgary would entertain moving Markstrom to LA.

In 4 months, Markstrom is probably a devil.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
So what if he blocked the trade ?

He’s entirely entitled to do that in his nmc.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
good one.
what statue is so insulting to you? For some reason people (Paul Coffey) seem upset about Brown's, when really I feel he was more deserving than Luc or Gretzky. Statues are not something every team does and I get that. I like it more than jersey retirement as eventually we will run out numbers right?
OMG 😂

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad