Speculation: Jacob Markstrom Blocked Trade to the Los Angeles Kings

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
So as it stands:

Legit sources:
Random flames fans, Reporters (when they say something flames fans like)

Fake Sources:
Reporters, Insiders (when they are saying something flames fans don't like)

Just to make sure I've got that right?
And you believe anything some idiot writes. I don't recall Kyper ever being right about the Flames and a Kings fan has said the same about them. I don't know it I've seen Kyper be right on anything that didn't involve the Leafs.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
based on all the rumors and Markstroms comments made about how everything went down. I could see him asked to waive to New Jersey, him saying yes,then Edwards shitting on the deal. He then gets asked to waive for LA and says no, hoping/thinking he could go to devils still.

If I was Markstom I think the next three seasons looks more promising in New Jersey than LA. So cannot blame the guy.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Did he actually say it was weather or was he more not wanting west coast due to travel?

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
This is the first time that I've heard the suggestion that people might not want to move to Los Angeles because of the weather. It's one of the few things that I miss since moving away from Southern California. It's not "hot," except for a few weeks each year (like a lot of places), and is milder than Florida, which seems to suit a lot of retired Canadians just fine.

I have to imagine that other reasons were the factor, like living and raising kids in a metropolitan area, road trip travel and maybe distance from Sweden (though those last two may be more perception than reality compared to Calgary).
LA is taxed more than the alberta teams i believe

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
based on all the rumors and Markstroms comments made about how everything went down. I could see him asked to waive to New Jersey, him saying yes,then Edwards shitting on the deal. He then gets asked to waive for LA and says no, hoping/thinking he could go to devils still.

If I was Markstom I think the next three seasons looks more promising in New Jersey than LA. So cannot blame the guy.
If I was Markstrom I think the next three seasons look more promising in either NH or LA than Calgary...

Reactions: YP44

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
California is turning into a complete mess. I don't blame Markstrom cause I would block a trade there also
You are aware that the Kings players do not actually live in Los Angeles. In LA county yes but Manhattan Beach is about as far from the filth portrayed in the media about LA. And this is coming from someone who thinks the city and the state as a whole is in massive decline.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
You are aware that the Kings players do not actually live in Los Angeles. In LA county yes but Manhattan Beach is about as far from the filth portrayed in the media about LA. And this is coming from someone who thinks the city and the state as a whole is in massive decline.

Yeah being a millionaire in Manhattan Beach is about as good as life could get for many people

I can understand if it's a climate thing or a distance thing but this weird pervasive oft-repeated-lately myth on this board where the players must be living in tent cities in their own feces near the arena is some bullshit and I'm surprised it's even post-able.

That's MY part of town!

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Yeah being a millionaire in Manhattan Beach is about as good as life could get for many people

I can understand if it's a climate thing or a distance thing but this weird pervasive oft-repeated-lately myth on this board where the players must be living in tent cities in their own feces near the arena is some bullshit and I'm surprised it's even post-able.

That's MY part of town!
Haha right. Oh the humanity, Kopitar listed his house last season for a measly $37 million dollars.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Markstrom in Vezina form is a massive upgrade over Talbot and No Save Dave. The only thing is, Markstrom has yet to put back to back Vezina seasons together since he was a Canuck. He usually stinks the following year and his SV% sinks to the 0.870-0.880 range
So with two years left your lucky to get 1 out of two years to be good at 6 million and 35?

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I just have a hard time believing this, especially from a weather POV
Believe it or not Calgary actually attracts some Swedish and Finnish players due to the weather and outdoor activities. A lot of these guys are from small towns in Nordic Europe and enjoy all the mountain and winter activities.

... Then some are Lundqvist and really like to drive around in Manhattan in fancy cars and designer clothes.

Reactions: Andrei79

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Kinda strange since he signed in Calgary to stay in the west.

Kypper just blowing smoke right now.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
As a hockey player, it’s one of the best markets in terms of weather and press coverage not to mention adding Markstrom to LA would make them a sure fire contender.

Have you been to California?
Im a West Coaster and LA is a dump. San Diego is nicer but a lot hotter. Hes from Sweden, I can see the lifestyle and weather not being ideal for him.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I've been many times. I wouldn't want to live in Los Angeles or San Francisco. There are other places that I wouldn't mind so much, but those two are well down my list of places to live.

You don’t have to live right next to the arena, pretty sure all the Kings players live in South Beach area (Manhattan/ Hermosa Beach). That area is very close to the Kings’ practice facility.

The biggest problem California has is housing costs but if you make a lot of money that’s less of a problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: wintersej

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Most of these guys live in Manhattan Beach or close to it. Here's the average weather year-round in Manhattan Beach:

Screenshot 2024-03-26 at 1.44.51 PM.png

Weather doesn't get much better than that.

1711486046511.png

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Why don't goalies want to go to LA?

It's LA.

Maybe it's because the likes of Kopitar and Doughty are getting old?

regardless though it's LA.
Maybe they saw how the Kings dumped Quick and then saw how much better he is elsewhere.

Why? Oilers crushed him in the playoffs.
Because as badly as we have owned Markstrom at times, he is still more likely to steal a series than Talbot or No Save Dave.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Because as badly as we have owned Markstrom at times, he is still more likely to steal a series than Talbot or No Save Dave.
Also It was at teh beginning of that series that when Markstrom learned he was about to be a father. If a goalie isn't 100% focused, their game will suffer.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Given how poorly Markstrom has played recently, his age and him calling the shots after pissing him off, you have to think Calgary fumbled this.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Given how poorly Markstrom has played recently, his age and him calling the shots after pissing him off, you have to think Calgary fumbled this.

Yeah, Markstrom has not been good this month:

1711541950550.png

Meanwhile, the Devils have been getting really good goaltending since the TDL:

1711541999102.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad