Speculation: Jacob Markstrom Blocked Trade to the Los Angeles Kings

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I mean if we're going to get a goalie, wouldn't we want someone significantly better than Talbot and Rittich? Why try to jam in Markstrom's salary too?

We're no where near discussing tertiary things like "weather".

Reactions: JKG33

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Seeing that half the games are on the road and the offseason is spent in Sweden I doubt weather has anything to do with it. Maybe he's afraid of earthquakes.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
So the premise of this is he didn't want to have to deal with LA's tortuous weather, and wanted to be in NJ because it's beautiful weather is similar to Calgary's?
It's the difference between 10 and 20 hours of travel one way for people visiting as well as going home.
If you visit over a weekend 40 hours of travel time makes no sense.

It's one thing to move west for a better contract and millions in the bank, once you have that deal a family man will probably try to go to east. Especially new york is great since there are so many departures and Markströms family lives relatively close to the airport (1 hour).

If you have a problem family can easily come over and help out. Also nice for your parents to hang out with the grandkids.

Last edited:

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
As a Kings fan, I don’t buy it. He’s not a significant upgrade over Talbot or Rittich at this point. And then taking into consideration the salary concerns I don’t think it’s a legitimate.

Markstrom in Vezina form is a massive upgrade over Talbot and No Save Dave. The only thing is, Markstrom has yet to put back to back Vezina seasons together since he was a Canuck. He usually stinks the following year and his SV% sinks to the 0.870-0.880 range

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Believing Kypreos is like believing a fortune teller.
So as it stands:

Legit sources:
Random flames fans, Reporters (when they say something flames fans like)

Fake Sources:
Reporters, Insiders (when they are saying something flames fans don't like)

Just to make sure I've got that right?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I'm in Ontario and would have 0 interest in living in Los Angeles for a variety of reasons. I don't know that weather was the reason for Markstrom, but it's not a desirable location for everyone.

As a hockey player, it’s one of the best markets in terms of weather and press coverage not to mention adding Markstrom to LA would make them a sure fire contender.

Have you been to California?

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
This has nothing to do with LA, it’s more of him likely wanting the whole off-season to move and get acclimated with whatever team he goes to. He’s a dad now, his priorities have changed.

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
This has nothing to do with LA, it’s more of him likely wanting the whole off-season to move and get acclimated with whatever team he goes to. He’s a dad now, his priorities have changed.

This seems more likely. Someone not wanting to move to LA because of weather was probably the most absurd thing I have ever heard.

Reactions: Rorschach

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
California is turning into a complete mess. I don't blame Markstrom cause I would block a trade there also

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
There was that game right around the deadline where Markstrom looked off. Then the story came out where Markstrom softy criticized the Calgary brass about the way the deadline was handled. Markstrom probably doesn't want to be moved, but given the lengthy and ongoing discussions with NJ he had probably come to peace with it and maybe allowed himself to warm up to the idea. The LA interest may have been last minute and by then he was annoyed at the whole scenario and process and didn't feel like doing the team any favors after they didn't do him any favors. Conroy should probably sit down with Markstrom in the offseason and come to firm conclusion trading him or keeping him. Either commit to keeping him for the duration of his deal or just trade him to NJ for whatever the two teams had allegedly agreed upon previously assuming NJ would still do that.

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
As a hockey player, it’s one of the best markets in terms of weather and press coverage not to mention adding Markstrom to LA would make them a sure fire contender.

Have you been to California?
I've been many times. I wouldn't want to live in Los Angeles or San Francisco. There are other places that I wouldn't mind so much, but those two are well down my list of places to live.

Reactions: Strawberry Fields

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
As a Kings fan, I don’t buy it. He’s not a significant upgrade over Talbot or Rittich at this point. And then taking into consideration the salary concerns I don’t think it’s a legitimate.
This. I loathe the trio of Talbot, Rittich, and Copley, but at least they're all signed for not much more than league minimum each. Sure Markstrom is an upgrade, but he's certainly not a $4m+ upgrade. Especially not for a team that's mismanaged their cap as badly as Blake has

LÀ is not hot
If you're coming from Calgary, LA is certainly hot

Newusername

Jun 26, 2013
He only wants to go to New Jersey, he’s rejected a trade to another western conference contender, not just LA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad