Jackman to be on line with Monahan

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
That seems completely weird as a stat. I'm a little confused as to how takeaways are defined at this point, because I've seen him generating a lot of loose pucks and taking some away as well.

Anyway, is he really not the first guy back all that much? Because I've made a point of watching him specifically in that situation this year (as in, seeing if he picks up the right guy, if he's moving his feet etc.) and the opportunity arises quite frequently during games. It's something that I've been watching for specifically, and I have definitely not found that situation to be scarce.
Honestly it surprised me he had 0 too, I thought he would have at least a few, but I had noticed he was generating less "steals" than last year which was why I went to look it up, that is actually the biggest stand out to me in the defensive/neutral zone. Last year he was so good at lifting the opponents stick and stealing the puck from him or knocking away passes to create offensive chances. That has really fallen off and unless he suddenly lost those skills that tells me he is not where he should be whether by floating or poor coverage, but of which I consider to be more on the mental side than technical.

I would like to see the NHL credit a giveaway and takeaway on each turnover, because more often than not a turnover is a combined good and bad effort from the opposing players. I think it would make them more consistent too.

Last edited:

holyprime

Oct 5, 2010
This thread is a pretty fun read, more or less one against everyone else :laugh:

On a more serious note, could your organisation please stop trashing Bärtschi's confidence while you try to turn him into a 3rd line grinder? There's a country that needs him him to play well in Sotschi (if he makes the team, which i thought was a given before the season started).

Yes, this is a little overexaggerated, but it's not like the expectations the Flames have for him aren't.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
This thread is a pretty fun read, more or less one against everyone else :laugh:

On a more serious note, could your organisation please stop trashing Bärtschi's confidence while you try to turn him into a 3rd line grinder? There's a country that needs him him to play well in Sotschi (if he makes the team, which i thought was a given before the season started).

Yes, this is a little overexaggerated, but it's not like the expectations the Flames have for him aren't.

If you can find a way for me to get into direct contact with Burke, Feaster, and Hartley, I will threaten them with doorstep poops on a daily basis until they give Sven some playing time.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
Honestly it surprised me he had 0 too, I thought he would have at least a few, but I had noticed he was generating less "steals" than last year which was why I went to look it up, that is actually the biggest stand out to me in the defensive/neutral zone. Last year he was so good at lifting the opponents stick and stealing the puck from him or knocking away passes to create offensive chances. That has really fallen off and unless he suddenly lost those skills that tells me he is not where he should be whether by floating or poor coverage, but of which I consider to be more on the mental side than technical.

I would like to see the NHL credit a giveaway and takeaway on each turnover, because more often than not a turnover is a combined good and bad effort from the opposing players. I think it would make them more consistent too.

So is intercepting passes not considered in the takeaway column? I seem to recall several time every game where he knocks the puck down in the neutral zone and begins an offensive rush. Seems strange that these aren't considered takeaways.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
So is intercepting passes not considered in the takeaway column? I seem to recall several time every game where he knocks the puck down in the neutral zone and begins an offensive rush. Seems strange that these aren't considered takeaways.
From what I understand the NHL either credits a play as giveaway or a takeaway, so an intercepted pass would likely be considered a giveaway against the person making the pass.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
So it's a wild pitch/passed ball sort of thing? That's foolish. I agree with you.
That is the perfect way to describe it. And yeah it's pretty silly. This is one of the many reasons teams track their own stats.

Speaking of ridiculous stats, I would like to see them adjust the way faceoffs are determined. So many faceoffs are won in a scrum by a winger now that I think a simple W/L is unfair to the centerman. I think those ones should be considered draws.

flames123

Oct 21, 2009
Kelowna
On this topic, Monahan has 2 points (1g, 1a) in the 8 games since being told he will stay with the club this year. Also a -4 during that period and average TOI around 15 mins.

Discuss.

TheDebaser

May 1, 2013
On this topic, Monahan has 2 points (1g, 1a) in the 8 games since being told he will stay with the club this year. Also a -4 during that period and average TOI around 15 mins.

Discuss.

Look at the schedule we've played since then.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg

Discuss.

He and Hudler were on a hot streak. Anyone who expected him to keep that pace needs a smack on the head. When you also look at who we've been playing, it will start to make sense.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Monahan is learning how to be a pro hockey player, not just score points. I wouldn't be surprised if he stayed cold for a couple more weeks and then got hot for an extended period. He also hasn't looked bad overall this last stretch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad