Confirmed with Link: Jackets to affiliate with Lake Erie for next season (link in post #78)

Timeless Winter

SaveD the Crew
Oct 13, 2006
Cleveland, Ohio
For whomever is thinking about checking out a Monsters game to see the CBJ prospects; just do it, don't even hesitate. It's a professional experience from top to bottom. Dan Gilbert spares no expense to put a great product on and off the ice.
Or you can go just to check out the scoreboard, it's mesmerizing.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

the only caveat to that blog is Lake Erie didn't exist until after the Sharks PDC expired since Gilbert didn't own the franchise when he bought the real estate assets from the Gunds, which included the franchise the Sharks continue to operate. the Monsters franchise was created when Utah went back down to the ECHL.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
And found two nice hats while cleaning the basement over the weekend. I assume I got them at an office Christmas party we had at a game a few years back, I don't really remember. Never worn and in their original packaging. They'll be the first thing I've ever worn that said "Cleveland" on them. :handclap:

10665119_10204297367297819_996156804382446559_n.jpg

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
the only caveat to that blog is Lake Erie didn't exist until after the Sharks PDC expired since Gilbert didn't own the franchise when he bought the real estate assets from the Gunds, which included the franchise the Sharks continue to operate. the Monsters franchise was created when Utah went back down to the ECHL.

One point of clarification: The Grizzlies had been inactive for part of a season when Gilbert bought the franchise and the franchise was on hiatus for a total of two seasons before beginning play in Cleveland in 2007-08.

I say this only because the quoted post may be taken as the Grizzlies franchise went to Cleveland right after the Grizzlies quit the AHL.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
One point of clarification: The Grizzlies had been inactive for part of a season when Gilbert bought the franchise and the franchise was on hiatus for a total of two seasons before beginning play in Cleveland in 2007-08.

I say this only because the quoted post may be taken as the Grizzlies franchise went to Cleveland right after the Grizzlies quit the AHL.

right but that's Portzline's fault for not stating that more clearly, it's my understanding that the deal began in '07, JW, BUT Gilbert bought the franchise in 2006, it read like someone didn't do their background before posting.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
right but that's Portzline's fault for not stating that more clearly, it's my understanding that the deal began in '07, JW, BUT Gilbert bought the franchise in 2006, it read like someone didn't do their background before posting.

Portzline...not doing a thorough job...no. :sarcasm:

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
Here's the timeline. Hopefully this will avoid any further confusion.

2004-05
Final season of AHL Utah Grizzlies

2005-06
Final season of AHL Cleveland Barons II
Utah Grizzlies to ECHL
Utah Grizzlies AHL franchise goes dormant
(late season) Dan Gilbert buys dormant Utah Grizzlies AHL franchise

2006-07
Cleveland Barons II to Worcester (Sharks)
AHL Utah Grizzlies franchise remains dormant (no AHL hockey in Cleveland)

2007-08
AHL Utah Grizzlies franchise returns from dormancy in Cleveland as Lake Erie Monsters

Frank Booth

Feb 13, 2008
Lumberton, USA
The Monsters are have a luncheon today with the coaches, Jared Bednar, Nolan Pratt, and Toby Petersen, along with Chris MacFarland at their practice facility for the STH's. Nice touch by both teams. More than Colorado ever did in eight years in Cleveland.

Skraut

Jul 31, 2006
Enter city here
The Monsters are have a luncheon today with the coaches, Jared Bednar, Nolan Pratt, and Toby Petersen, along with Chris MacFarland at their practice facility for the STH's. Nice touch by both teams. More than Colorado ever did in eight years in Cleveland.

With the exception of the first 2 years where the Avs had a very similar meet and greet with Joe Sacco and some of the other coaches in the exact same facility. I don't know if they did anything after that as I quit being a STH.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

One of the great advantages of minor league hockey is the accessibility to the coaching staffs. I've enjoyed talking at length with Cincinnati Cyclones coaches and assistants over the past 9 years. I've learned things about some players that would never go public:laugh: It's amazing how much time most minor league coaches are willing to spend with fans who know a little about the game.

I had a chance to chat with Jared Bednar for about 20-30 minutes at a South Carolina Stingrays fan grill out after a conference finals game in 2009 outside of the North Charleston Coliseum when he was their Kelly Cup winning head coach. He was an engaging conversationalist with a good sense of humor. I wish him well as the LE head coach.

Frank Booth

Feb 13, 2008
Lumberton, USA
With the exception of the first 2 years where the Avs had a very similar meet and greet with Joe Sacco and some of the other coaches in the exact same facility. I don't know if they did anything after that as I quit being a STH.

The differences are that that was at the very start of the franchise right before training camp. It really was a meet the franchise meeting that the head coach happened to be at. There was no one else from the Avs. Yesterday, all 4 coaches plus MacFarland were there, all wearing Monsters' logo polos. You would have never seen that with Colorado. They made them wear Avalanche logo garb.

MFRONE

Feb 3, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Good piece, but I'm surprised that there was no mention of Rychel. Unless the Jackets move numerous forwards, he's starting in Cleveland next season.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Good piece, but I'm surprised that there was no mention of Rychel. Unless the Jackets move numerous forwards, he's starting in Cleveland next season.

Not even a snippet. Of anyone listed he could have the biggest impact for the monsters next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad