Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

The Real JT

Louie louie, oh no, me gotta go
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
I think trading Nelson is crazy, Palmieri we’d be selling high and I’m ok with that
You’d be selling high on both of them. Wait until the TDL and you run the risk of losing most of their value. For a team with a thin prospect/asset pool that’s bad management IMO.

The comeback to that argument is that it signifies a tear down or rebuild. That’s not necessarily the case. The assets gained in trading those two players could be used for younger, skilled but less proven NHL ready talent.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Bringing back Beauvillier as a playoff performer is quite a hedge for a regular season desert on a team that struggles to make the playoffs. There’s better places to spend the money.

If Beau comes back we’ll put signs all over the room to remind him to have fun out there.

Last edited:

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Except you know he'd be playing LW with Horvat and Barzal by Halloween....

I am not sure this is true. We rarely saw Beauvillier up on the first line with all the coaches before. That being said the isles need for a low cost high upside player to actually penetrate into the top six. I am not saying that is Beauvillier though. Sadly he never gained the man strength that seemingly so many players get. He had a few really solid seasons with the Islanders and would be a great fourth liner (or even on the third if they run Cizikas on line three with Pageau getting moved).

These are the types of moves that need to be made rather than further belief in the core.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Here we go. Expecting the perfect player for like $1.5-2M in the bottom six. Like three of them. Good luck.

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
The more I think about it, the more it makes sense to move Pulock this offseason. A top four of Pelech, Dobson, Romanov, and Mayfield is still very solid. Pulock’s cap hit isn’t great for his level of production and his offense hasn’t come along as we hoped it would, but I could definitely see a team taking that contract for a top four right handed defenseman. I think a hockey trade for a top six forward is definitely something that should be looked into.

I know many here wouldn’t be a fan of it at all, but a part of me wonders if Lou will be on the phone with his former employers in Toronto and try to dangle Pulock and Nelson in a Marner trade. Strictly considering just the value, needs of both teams, and contract situations and none of the drama around Marner, a deal centered around those three could make a lot of sense IMO.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
A top four of Pelech, Dobson, Romanov, and Mayfield is still very solid.
I liked your post, so sorry to pick on the part I disagree with, but swapping out Pulock with Mayfield in the top 4 would result in the Isles being hemmed in the zone even more than they were this past season. If they're going to move Pulock or Pelech (and they probably should), they need to replace them on the 2nd pairing with a skilled PMD to improve their puck movement.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
And what if it was a more realistic contract like 2 year and 7 million.

What if Lou magically becomes Bill Torrey?

What if... What if... What if...

Why in the world would Lou hand out a 2 year deal when all he does is give out 5-7 year contracts to FAs? And Nelson's next contract is going to be his last chance to cash in so I can PROMISE you he ain't taking a 2-year deal. Not when if he goes to UFA the market will offer him at least 5 years.

All that said...Are we never trading a player while he still has value again? Are we just going to let every single vet lose all their trade value once they sign a long-term deal no other team wants and/or they just start fading into Andersville?

We need to get younger and faster and whether or not it's painful for Isles fans to accept it or not, Nelson is the 2nd best trade chip they have right now behind Dobson. At some point something has to give or you're just going to have a bunch of average and fading 35-38 year olds on long-term deals that are going to handcuff this team for literally years.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I don’t see the point of bringing back a retread because he’s now right-sized for a salary slot. We already have in house candidates for the bottom 6.

That is absolutely fine. I can also agree with that. The TYPE of players he is (speed speed speed) is what this team needs more of. So while Beauvillier does not need to be the addition they need additions like him. They also need speed on the back end. I think @Richie Daggers Crime brought this up with his 5% of serious posts which I agreed with 100%.

Reactions: MJF

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
Bc he was expected to be a top 6 player.

If he’s brought back as a bottom six for $2M and under, he brings speed (and warts), but he does have 31 points in 55 playoff games. That’s not too shabby.

Yes, but in the Role of a 4th Liner he is expected to be defensively responsible right?
And Hit Right?
LMAO He gets lost so often that he needs a seeing eye Dog to find the man he is supposed to cover!
When he was here he was allergic to Contact like Engval is...
I get your Point, I just would rather not waste a roster spot on him...

Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
That is absolutely fine. I can also agree with that. The TYPE of players he is (speed speed speed) is what this team needs more of. So while Beauvillier does not need to be the addition they need additions like him. They also need speed on the back end. I think @Richie Daggers Crime brought this up with his 5% of serious posts which I agreed with 100%.
What we need are guys with hands who can move the puck quickly, accurately, and not squeeze their sticks into sawdust. Speed is fine as long as the guy can handle the puck.

Reactions: MarsTBOW

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Yes, but in the Role of a 4th Liner he is expected to be defensively responsible right?
And Hit Right?
LMAO He gets lost so often that he needs a seeing eye Dog to find the man he is supposed to cover!
When he was here he was allergic to Contact like Engval is...
I get your Point, I just would rather not waste a roster spot on him...
Let’s see what other options come along. It’s all early speculation and discussion.

Reactions: MarsTBOW

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I liked your post, so sorry to pick on the part I disagree with, but swapping out Pulock with Mayfield in the top 4 would result in the Isles being hemmed in the zone even more than they were this past season. If they're going to move Pulock or Pelech (and they probably should), they need to replace them on the 2nd pairing with a skilled PMD to improve their puck movement.
I don’t think Mayfield at this point can be a top 4 guy outside the Trotz game plan. Agreed, it would be getting hemmed in own zone or an icing fest.

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
I definitely agree Mayfield would be the big player sticking out there in a negative way. However I do think we could get away with it if we were able to bring back Reilly and add a really solid bottom pairing RHD. I would prefer Mayfield on the bottom pairing as well, but I just don’t think we would have the assets either in terms of players or cap space to bring one in. I’d rather try to upgrade the top six forwards and take the hit on paper defensively and hope the addition of a strong bottom pairing defender can help. Also, Sorokin coming back strong would be a big help on defense which I think we all expect to happen.

Chockey22

Jul 12, 2022
I definitely agree Mayfield would be the big player sticking out there in a negative way. However I do think we could get away with it if we were able to bring back Reilly and add a really solid bottom pairing RHD. I would prefer Mayfield on the bottom pairing as well, but I just don’t think we would have the assets either in terms of players or cap space to bring one in. I’d rather try to upgrade the top six forwards and take the hit on paper defensively and hope the addition of a strong bottom pairing defender can help. Also, Sorokin coming back strong would be a big help on defense which I think we all expect to happen.
If mayfield is in the top 4 for more than a handful of games, the Isles are in serious trouble. I'm not opposed to moving Pulock for more top 6 forward talent, but if the plan is to promote Mayfield, that top 6 talent coming back better be elite, because the team D will be much worse.

What we need are guys with hands who can move the puck quickly, accurately, and not squeeze their sticks into sawdust. Speed is fine as long as the guy can handle the puck.
exactly - Gauthier brought speed; but not much more. I think Beau is an improvement on Gauthier, so if the competition is between those two for the fourth line, sure bring back Beau - as long as it's cheap

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
What if Lou magically becomes Bill Torrey?

What if... What if... What if...

Why in the world would Lou hand out a 2 year deal when all he does is give out 5-7 year contracts to FAs? And Nelson's next contract is going to be his last chance to cash in so I can PROMISE you he ain't taking a 2-year deal. Not when if he goes to UFA the market will offer him at least 5 years.

All that said...Are we never trading a player while he still has value again? Are we just going to let every single vet lose all their trade value once they sign a long-term deal no other team wants and/or they just start fading into Andersville?

We need to get younger and faster and whether or not it's painful for Isles fans to accept it or not, Nelson is the 2nd best trade chip they have right now behind Dobson. At some point something has to give or you're just going to have a bunch of average and fading 35-38 year olds on long-term deals that are going to handcuff this team for literally years.

I can accept Nelson not being traded at the deadline. I can accept even keeping Nelson for another contract. I cannot accept keeping Nelson if all of the Lee, Pageau, Pelech, Palmieri, Pulock players are coming back though.

Nelson is such a great trade chip for this team. IF the deal is done correctly it can set the Isles up in a similar way the Tavares trade should have set them up at the time.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I can accept Nelson not being traded at the deadline. I can accept even keeping Nelson for another contract. I cannot accept keeping Nelson if all of the Lee, Pageau, Pelech, Palmieri, Pulock players are coming back though.

Nelson is such a great trade chip for this team. IF the deal is done correctly it can set the Isles up in a similar way the Tavares trade should have set them up at the time.

Trading Nelson would be a seismic move, but I agree that it could really set up the Isles to re-stock the cupboard and add young skill for a re-tool. I would try and load up 2025 or even 2026 picks for extra lottery tickets for Hagens or McKenna. As part of the return, try and get a conditional top-10 protected 2025 pick that could be a 2026. Get a 2025/2026 2nd also. In a Dream scenario, something wacky happens and we get McKenna in 2026. Boom Shakalaka!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad