Confirmed with Link: Jackets to affiliate with Lake Erie for next season (link in post #78)

5thLiner

Didn't draft a Finn
Oct 14, 2014
Columbus, Ohio
There's some speculation as of late that the CBJ may end up moving their AHL affiliate from Springfield to Cleveland.

Of course, this is just something that's being tossed around right now with nothing official, but I think it would be awesome to be able to drive 2 hours up the road and see our young prospects develop. I just want to hear others thoughts on this as well.

Mod Edit:

4/17 edit: It's officially official! Very excited about this move!

http://bluejackets.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=763703

Last edited:

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
There's a lot of speculation as of late that the CBJ may end up moving their AHL affiliate from Springfield to Cleveland.

Of course, this is just something that's being tossed around right now with nothing official, but I think it would be awesome to be able to drive 2 hours up the road to be able to see our young prospects develop. I just want to hear others thoughts on this as well.

I would think it would be good for CBJ logistics, so good thing overall.
While I am a devout CBJ fan, and enjoy reading all the postings on prospects, I am not focused on what goes on down (up?) on the farm. There are enough CBJ games (and high ticket cost) to cause me to pass on going to AHL game. Plus I live 1 hour further south.

Come to think of it, much like MLB. I am both a Tribe and Reds fan (grew up with Big Red Machine, went to college in Cleveland during Joltin' Joe Charboneau days, so not a bandwagon rider, just sentimental history). I will drive to Cleveland 5x per year for Tribe games, 3x per year for Reds. I have been to ONE Clipper game in 20 years. Just not the same, imo. Same for hockey.

5thLiner

Didn't draft a Finn
Oct 14, 2014
Columbus, Ohio
While I am a devout CBJ fan, and enjoy reading all the postings on prospects, I am not focused on what goes on down (up?) on the farm. There are enough CBJ games (and high ticket cost) to cause me to pass on going to AHL game. Plus I live 1 hour further south.

Come to think of it, much like MLB. I am both a Tribe and Reds fan (grew up with Big Red Machine, went to college in Cleveland during Joltin' Joe Charboneau days, so not a bandwagon rider, just sentimental history). I will drive to Cleveland 5x per year for Tribe games, 3x per year for Reds. I have been to ONE Clipper game in 20 years. Just not the same, imo. Same for hockey.

I definitely agree about it being a lesser product, so it's hard to be excited to go to a game. I'd go to a game or two a year just to experience it and see guys like Rychel or Anderson play (if they aren't full time NHLers next year). If you're an hour further south of Columbus, though, I definitely understand not wanting to go that far just for a minor league game haha I already go to a few OSU hockey games just because I love watching hockey live, it'd be nice having the option to go to our AHL team's game if I wanted.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
It only makes perfect sense. Not just geographically.

The fans in Cleveland would be rewarded with a good team, and a good parent organization (Avs suck). Cleveland ranks in the top 3 of attendance in the AHL with minimal marketing of the team, while Springfield is near the bottom. The Monsters have made the playoffs once only to be bounced in the first round, yet fans constantly support a minor league hockey team.

It will only grow the CBJ fanbase up north. A large contingent of hockey fans here follow the Avs, most of whom would more than likely convert. (as for the pens, and wings fans... who cares?)

I go to a few Monsters games a year, and that number would easily skyrocket if they became the CBJ affiliate. Now would be an amazing time to realign with all the new prospects in our system. Im not holding my breath just yet, but it would be HUGE if this happened.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
I definitely agree about it being a lesser product, so it's hard to be excited to go to a game. I'd go to a game or two a year just to experience it and see guys like Rychel or Anderson play (if they aren't full time NHLers next year). If you're an hour further south of Columbus, though, I definitely understand not wanting to go that far just for a minor league game haha I already go to a few OSU hockey games just because I love watching hockey live, it'd be nice having the option to go to our AHL team's game if I wanted.

Did I mention I go to a few Browns games (see bolded text above):sarcasm:

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
It makes sense and I always wanted it to happen...when I lived in Cleveland. Now that I live in NH I would be sorry to see them leave Springfield.

With Worcester, MA and Manchester, NH moving to California, if the CBJ leave Springy I guess I will likely quit on going to see hockey live here in New England.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Would be nice!
I was never much of a Tribe fan until the Columbus Clippers became their affiliate, but now since I get a chance to see the Clippers play and see some of those guys progress up to the Indians it's pretty cool.
Plus I think the biggest thing I've often heard cited is logistics. if the flu strikes the team and we're a forward down at noon (for a home game) it's much easier to have a guy jump in a car and drive down from Cleveland, rather then booking a flight from Springfield.

Also to me (maybe the biggest benefit lol) is if the team is in Springfield maybe we could give them a pre-season game each season. At least it would save me from having to buy tickets to another pre-season game :)

ReggieRed

Good job. Good work. Good goal next!
Jan 6, 2015
Milford Center, OH
It only makes perfect sense. Not just geographically.

The fans in Cleveland would be rewarded with a good team, and a good parent organization (Avs suck). Cleveland ranks in the top 3 of attendance in the AHL with minimal marketing of the team, while Springfield is near the bottom. The Monsters have made the playoffs once only to be bounced in the first round, yet fans constantly support a minor league hockey team.

It will only grow the CBJ fanbase up north. A large contingent of hockey fans here follow the Avs, most of whom would more than likely convert. (as for the pens, and wings fans... who cares?)

I go to a few Monsters games a year, and that number would easily skyrocket if they became the CBJ affiliate. Now would be an amazing time to realign with all the new prospects in our system. Im not holding my breath just yet, but it would be HUGE if this happened.

Makes sense just for this reason alone.

I would also love to see the Baby Jackets in Cleveland. Growing up an Indians fan, I never went to a Clippers game before they became affiliated with the Tribe...why would I want to go watch Yankees or Nationals (I think for a year or two?) prospects play? Now, I try to make it to at least a couple of Clippers games per year (Huntington Park probably helped as well). I see the LEM commercials on Fox during the CBJ games and don't even think about driving up to the Q for a game to watch Avs prospects. Change that to CBJ prospects, and I probably make that trip a couple of times per year.

5thLiner

Didn't draft a Finn
Oct 14, 2014
Columbus, Ohio
I agree with all these points. My buddy and I have been wanting to see Cleveland become our affiliate for some time now, it'd make so much sense. I didn't even think about it growing the fan base either, that's a huge bonus for it.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
If Colorado moves its affiliate closer to home, then it would only seem logical that the Jackets use Lake Erie as their AHL affiliate.

The combination of the ease of call ups (send downs) and the potential marketing benefits would make the switch worthwhile in and of itself.

Having the ECHL affiliate in Cincinnati would make sense as well from a marketing perspective.

Given the quality of the Jackets bottom 6 this season, watching the AHL product wouldn't have been much of a come down. It may have been an improvement.

elmariachi227

Aug 27, 2012
Cleveland
Unless someone has ties with the current Monsters players or Avs organization, I think, overwhelmingly, Clevelanders would love to have the CBJ AHL affiliate in Cleveland.

For CBJ, this will do wonders for their fanbase in Cleveland as, historically the town has been split between 3 teams:
Red Wings, Penguins, and Blackhawks. It didn't help that CBJ was in the western conference for years- so they weren't even playing when people were awake, half the time.

I hear all the time how it would be so much better to go to a Monsters game and then be able to see the player in the NHL someday for the Blue Jackets. Most Monsters fans can't really follow the NHL affiliate for obvious reasons.

Now that CBJ plays most of its games in the "correct" time zone, it's a win for everyone, IMO.

But it just isn't going to happen (yet).

Both teams (falcons/monsters) have agreements through next season. So, maybe 2 years from now.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
It makes sense and I always wanted it to happen...when I lived in Cleveland. Now that I live in NH I would be sorry to see them leave Springfield.

With Worcester, MA and Manchester, NH moving to California, if the CBJ leave Springy I guess I will likely quit on going to see hockey live here in New England.

Manchester will be getting an ECHL franchise. The Kings are switching their AHL and ECHL affiliates.

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20150131/SPORTS0702/150139900

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
I know we have talked about this many times, and one of the last discussions centered on minor league officials discussing big changes coming to minor league hockey. Mainly that NHL teams were looking to have their affiliates closer to home, which would spawn big changes to leagues and perhaps spawn a new western league that would rival the AHL, and allow the western NHL franchises to realize their wishes to have their minor league affiliates close to them.

In this scenario, it would only make sense that Cleveland would naturally become the CBJ affiliate. It will probably happen sooner, rather than later.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Yeah...not interested in ECHL hockey whatsoever...I like hockey...not Slapshot. Really a shame they have a nice 10K seat arena and they are gonna be stuck with a minor minor hockey team.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
AHL in Cleveland would be nice. Might give me an actual reason to want to go to Cleveland. Can't think of another.

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
Yes to all of the points above, but they have to change the name and wear these jerseys full time (without the front number). :nod:

1215-ff14-faceoff.png

Or these would do also.

lake-erie-monstersjpg-4f97d898eef84457.jpg

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011

Agree I would be unlikely to drive to cleveland for a game, but I might hit one if in Cleveland for business or other reasons. By the way, I also was going to college in Cleveland during the Joltin Joe years.....always hit opening day vs. the Yankees.

hf031

Apr 7, 2014
Mooresville, NC
Lifelong Clevelander (up til three years ago) and longtime hockey STH going back to the Lumberjacks in mid-90s here - this move would be fantastic in every sense. The Blue Jackets market there would definitely grow. It was great to see how much casual folks got into last year's playoff series, and I think having the Monsters aligned with Columbus will only increase those numbers. Plus the location is unbeatable, and the franchise draws very well.

Based on the latest reports and today's confirmation of Florida moving into Portland, this seems like it could be imminent. Not sure how they will work around the affiliation deals, but since Springfield would still be guaranteed a parent club, I don't think it will be too much of a barrier. I'm pumped at the thought of this becoming a reality so soon.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I've been advocating this for years, along with pre-season games in Cleveland and Cincinnati. Springfield is the only loser in this scenario, which is a shame.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Yeah...not interested in ECHL hockey whatsoever...I like hockey...not Slapshot. Really a shame they have a nice 10K seat arena and they are gonna be stuck with a minor minor hockey team.

Obviously haven't seen an ECHL game.

It's about the same style as the NHL....just slower and no high end skill players.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
Yes to all of the points above, but they have to change the name and wear these jerseys full time (without the front number). :nod:

1215-ff14-faceoff.png

Or these would do also.

lake-erie-monstersjpg-4f97d898eef84457.jpg

While I would prefer a return to Barons, I don't mind the Lake Erie Monsters name (maybe I'm just more used to it living in Cleveland).

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
Also, I doubt they would wear either uniform as, if I recall correctly, all Blue Jackets AHL affiliates have worn the Columbus uniform with the affiliate logo replacing the Jackets crest on the front.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
Only Springfield has. The Crunch always had their own pattern.

Forgot about that.

I fully expect the Monsters to not wear the Jacket knock-offs, then.

I would like to see them adopt the Jackets name/number font, however. Impossible to get a LEM jersey correctly customized as of now.

By the way, for future reference if this does come to pass, LEM is the common way of abbreviating the Monsters' name.

If it does become official, I will post a "get to know the Monsters" thread with some insight for those (i.e. many on this board) unfamiliar with the franchise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad