Confirmed with Link: Jackets to affiliate with Lake Erie for next season (link in post #78)

Sdrawkcab321

Oct 12, 2014
Cleveland
Let me finish.... The CBJ might surprise many in Cleveland if given the exposure....

I think the three major networks in Cleveland trash the Blue Jackets in favor of the loser Browns, Indians and Cavaliers.....

The #1 city in the world over rated for sport is Cleveland, Ohio.... a joke.

The reason those loser Browns get the attention they do is because they get ratings. Like it or not football is the top sport in America. It gets the ratings. More than hockey will.

Browns have a 60+ year heads up on the jackets. Just like Ohio state has a 80+ year or whatever heads up on the jackets. You can't beat football.

Sdrawkcab321

Oct 12, 2014
Cleveland
Do you know what season ticket price were last year ? Like the average price. I may consider getting tickets now that I have a reason to care.

hf031

Apr 7, 2014
Mooresville, NC
Cleveland is definitely a Browns town above all else, but it shouldn't be overlooked how the city is pretty much Basketball Mecca right now and, regardless of the attendance figures, was a top five market for baseball television ratings last year. And of course you got the Monsters averaging well over 8k per game with a thriving youth hockey scene.

When the Blue Jackets tap into this (and I do believe it is a when and not if), it is going to be great for both places.

hf031

Apr 7, 2014
Mooresville, NC
Awesome summary, Woodchuck. You really hit on so many of the main things. For what it's worth, some of my thoughts as a former STH who still follows the Monsters closely:

If you're heading up for a game, expect to be blown away a bit. By the size of the Jumbotron first, but also just by the game presentation. The Cavs allot all their resources to the Monsters, so you get major league production in a major league venue at a minor league game. It can be kind of an assault on your senses at times, with the music cranked and lots of "make some noise" prompts. I know some traditionalists hate it, but I'm a fan. That's what works these days and gets the casual fans in the seats, and you need that to survive in the minors. Lots of promos and promo jerseys, too.

Weekend games are so much more entertaining that weekday ones. The crowds vary so much, and it truly is a weekend league. The energy level is so much higher if you are there on a Friday or Saturday, when 12k crowds aren't unusual. Fortunately, the Monsters seem to have surprisingly high priority in scheduling at The Q and get plenty of these dates.

Seats, I go for club level sidelines all the way. Gives me the perfect view of everything. It's also where they put the cameras and the announcers.

Like Woodchuck mentioned, I'd expect Jock Callander to join the assistant coaching ranks. He's a Cleveland hockey legend - IHL all-time scoring champ with seven years as a Lumberjacks player and one as an assistant, worked for the AHL Barons front office after that, and then started up with Monsters too. He's not behind the bench for every game, as he will join Plagens and do color commentary when the team is on television. No way will he be leaving the Monsters or Cleveland.

Plagens is a solid play-by-play guy, in my opinion. He seems to do his homework and gets into the game at an appropriate level, without any excessive homerism. My biggest complaint is the injury report. Could be a Colorado thing, I'm not sure, but the team is maddeningly vague on injuries. The most you will ever get is UBI or LBI. Guys have had season-ending surgery or a major injury that they have freely tweeted about, yet the team won't acknowledge it as anything more than that general distinction. Kind of insulting at times.

Newspaper coverage is pretty lousy. Occasionally they will get a devoted news and notes type article, but those are few and far between. I actually think it has gotten worse as the attendance has gone up, somehow. I feel like the Blue Jackets alliance might help sow the seeds of change there (fingers crossed).

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
I have posted a "Get to know the Lake Erie Monsters" thread in this forum.

It has some basic info on the Monsters and may be a good place for Columbus-based fans to ask us north coast CBJ fans questions about the new affiliate.

Thanks for putting that all together. Do you think attendance will bump up next year with the affiliation change?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Any news on AHL conference realignment? Hopefully the Monsters stay in the West so they will come to Texas at least once a season.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Indians averaged 18 K in attendance last season, 2nd worst in baseball. But please, tell me how it's such a great baseball market.

Atlanta is more overrated than Cleveland at least.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Please correct me if I'm wrong Clevelander's. I was talking to a guy from Cleveland a few years back, and we were discussing Hockey there. He said that Cleveland is a big high school hockey town. Lot's of kids are playing the sport, so like high school football, it gets a lot of attention from family, friends, and the sports press. Not to mention that, until recently, Cleveland high schools have pretty much dominated the sport statewide. Only after the Jackets arrived in Columbus did high schools in that part of the State really embrace hockey as a varsity sport.

As far as the NHL in Cleveland, that train has left the station. Not only did the City fail to support it in the past, it is a pretty well known fact that it would be tough for Cleveland to support a 4th major pro franchise. Really, unless you are a New York or Chicago, it would be tough for most cities to consistently support four pro teams. Not only that, Bettman really likes having a franchise in the center of this State, where it should be able to draw fans from all areas of the State. Of course there is western Ohio with it's allegiance to the Pens, and NW Ohio where the Red Wings reign supreme. But, even some in those areas might swing to the Jackets when they finally play consistently winning hockey.

The Monsters have done a great job of marketing the team, and the affiliation with the CBJ should only enhance that. Like I said before, the Clippers affiliating with the Indians really brought a lot of excitement to the baseball fans here in central Ohio. I hope the CBJ do the same in Cleveland.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The reason those loser Browns get the attention they do is because they get ratings. Like it or not football is the top sport in America. It gets the ratings. More than hockey will.

Browns have a 60+ year heads up on the jackets. Just like Ohio state has a 80+ year or whatever heads up on the jackets. You can't beat football.

110 years, to be precise. The program started in 1890.

Looking forward to the affiliation change and what it should bring, altho I will miss Springfield. They were a large part of the turnaround, after all.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Very pleased by the interest and excitement expressed, here, for the change in affiliation. Also, thanks for the great info on the team, venue, media, etc. Should be great for the Jackets, Monsters, and all of Ohio's hockey fans!

hf031

Apr 7, 2014
Mooresville, NC
Indians averaged 18 K in attendance last season, 2nd worst in baseball. But please, tell me how it's such a great baseball market.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a great baseball market, but when you only look at the attendance you don't get the complete picture. They ranked fifth in baseball in television ratings last year, and radio listenership was also up over 20%. Just because people aren't showing up, doesn't mean they aren't paying attention or don't care.

The problem is how alienated folks feel by ownership and how much they have been turned off by constantly grooming good players for other teams, because the Tribe can't afford to keep them. And the dynamic pricing model is despised. Plus, everything gets compared back to the glory days of the 90s, which are always going to be unparalleled. But the support is still there.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Do you know what season ticket price were last year ? Like the average price. I may consider getting tickets now that I have a reason to care.

Cheap. I never paid more than $15 bucks a seat. I normally will use my old college ID and sit pretty damn close to the ice in the corners for $6.

You can't beat it. I grew up on minor league hockey in Cleveland.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio

Atlanta is more overrated than Cleveland at least.

Wow. I'm a Reds fan, but think this seems poor taste. I hate when other NHL fans say Columbus is a crappy hockey market because our attendance is always one of the league's worst. Maybe they're good markets with lame teams? Most people aren't going to waste money on crappy sports teams. Both organizations have had pretty bad management over the years.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Wow. I'm a Reds fan, but think this seems poor taste. I hate when other NHL fans say Columbus is a crappy hockey market because our attendance is always one of the league's worst. Maybe they're good markets with lame teams? Most people aren't going to waste money on crappy sports teams. Both organizations have had pretty bad management over the years.

The Indians were a Wild Card team in 2013. They finished dead last in terms of % of ball park filled, and 28th in overall attendance (less than 20K). I don't know what to tell you. It's a bit of an embarrassment when your AAA affiliate can outdraw you at the gate, which has not been an uncommon occurrence for the Clippers.

The Indians did not have a decade+ of losing, horrendous management, lockouts, etc. They were a game away from the World Series in 2007. They were middle of the pack (21st) in attendance that season.

You can jazz up the city as a "baseball market" all you want, but it would appear it is a fanbase that does not attend games very well, regardless of the product on the field.

The shot at Atlanta was because it is widely regarded as the worst sports town in America. Yet, for some reason, they have 3 major league franchises and somehow they drove two NHL franchises out of town.

hf031

Apr 7, 2014
Mooresville, NC
The Indians were a Wild Card team in 2013. They finished dead last in terms of % of ball park filled, and 28th in overall attendance (less than 20K). I don't know what to tell you. It's a bit of an embarrassment when your AAA affiliate can outdraw you at the gate, which has not been an uncommon occurrence for the Clippers.

The Indians did not have a decade+ of losing, horrendous management, lockouts, etc. They were a game away from the World Series in 2007. They were middle of the pack (21st) in attendance that season.

You can jazz up the city as a "baseball market" all you want, but it would appear it is a fanbase that does not attend games very well, regardless of the product on the field.

I wish I had a solution to the attendance woes, because I agree that their numbers are sad. But remember, this is also a team that sold out 455 consecutive games during the 90s to early 00s. And like I said, once you get beyond the in-game numbers, you can see that support is there.

I have scratched my head for years about it, because you spend time in the city and it's obvious that people care about the team and are passionate. The broadcast numbers reflect it, you see plenty of Tribe apparel out, people talk about the games, the media coverage is huge (especially with the ballpark renovations this year).

That's why I think it all comes down to negativity toward Dolan and the management. With the model in place, they mostly do what they can. But people are still resentful that we traded back-to-back Cy Young winners the year after they won the award and have cut so many others loose because we aren't willing to fork over the cash. There is a palpable sense of distrust surrounding ownership, and I really believe it keeps people away from the gates. Shame, especially since the team has now locked up their core long-term. Get some sustained success with that core, and I think you might see a bit of movement back to the Jake.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC

You can jazz up the city as a "baseball market" all you want, but it would appear it is a fanbase that does not attend games very well, regardless of the product on the field...

The Cleveland record for consecutive sellouts is 455, set from 1995-2001. It was a baseball town, not that long ago, with a new park and great teams. Losing, poor management, and a hard-hit economy in NE Ohio caused the major decline. All that can change.

Sdrawkcab321

Oct 12, 2014
Cleveland
I wish I had a solution to the attendance woes, because I agree that their numbers are sad. But remember, this is also a team that sold out 455 consecutive games during the 90s to early 00s. And like I said, once you get beyond the in-game numbers, you can see that support is there.

I have scratched my head for years about it, because you spend time in the city and it's obvious that people care about the team and are passionate. The broadcast numbers reflect it, you see plenty of Tribe apparel out, people talk about the games, the media coverage is huge (especially with the ballpark renovations this year).

That's why I think it all comes down to negativity toward Dolan and the management. With the model in place, they mostly do what they can. But people are still resentful that we traded back-to-back Cy Young winners the year after they won the award and have cut so many others loose because we aren't willing to fork over the cash. There is a palpable sense of distrust surrounding ownership, and I really believe it keeps people away from the gates. Shame, especially since the team has now locked up their core long-term. Get some sustained success with that core, and I think you might see a bit of movement back to the Jake.

Yep the Indians aren't trusted anymore. They've traded or let walk ever major player since 95.

The sellout steak had a lot to do with the browns leaving too. Indians had a great team and the economy was good. Everything fell into place.

Indians won't have interest until Dolan sells the team. No one trusts him and people including myself don't wanna support or get emotionally involved in a team that won't keep players.

But that has nothing to do with Cleveland as a hockey market. Completely different sport with half the amount of games. Games that are played at night. And not during the day when everyone is at work. Like the Indians do.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Seats, I go for club level sidelines all the way. Gives me the perfect view of everything. It's also where they put the cameras and the announcers.

The lower level seats at the Q are not good for hockey. The rows have very little elevation-appropriate for basketball not hockey.

I sit in the second level when I go to games in Cleveland.

MFRONE

Feb 3, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
People need to get over not re-signing guys. CC was traded and he turned into Brantley (MVP candidate) who just signed long term. Lee was traded and brought back Carassco (signed long term). Neither guy traded is worth the paper their contracts are written on.

Plenty of guys have signed long term with the Indians. If you want to keep complaining, just stop because you aren't an Indians fan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad