Jackets talk extension with Foligno

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
But he wouldn't be worth 6 mil 'based on 27 games.' He would be worth it based on his body of work and anticipated future.

Which is not me saying he's worth 6 mil... But damn if he might just be.

He also could be worth 4 mill based on his body of work and possible future ...that's why Jarmo gets paid the big bucks.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
We're all kind of agnostic about Nick's scoring. The biggest difference between my view and others on the riskiness of $6m, is perhaps what we thought of Nick before the scoring. For me he was never less than second-line good. Others though, if you look back in our threads, disagreed.

Right there with you. I swear, this whole "but, y'know, in a perfect world he really should be an Nth liner" thinking will destroy this team.

EDIT: For the record, I do have a "overkill" threshold w/r/t paying Nick. It's just that that threshold is pretty high. As in, I don't think he should get near Rick Nash money, but below that I can probably live with. :)

thebus2288*

Anybody here remember my comment about Foligno being just as important to Johansen and the team as Johansen is to Foligno and the team? No? Ok.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Anybody here remember my comment about Foligno being just as important to Johansen and the team as Johansen is to Foligno and the team? No? Ok.
Well, I was going to point out why something like that was probably overlooked, but EspenK beat me to it. :)

Honestly, I think that's slightly overstating his importance. Slightly. But couple that with other Holy Crusades that you're known for and I have no problem believing that you made such a pronouncement and it got ignored.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio

A bit over the top maybe.

He's a solid 2nd line guy, playing his ass off for his team and for his family. This will be the biggest contract of his career, the contract this his family lives off of for the rest of their lives. Add in possible ongoing medical expenses associated with his daughter's condition. Its no shocker he seems at times to be playing as if lives depend on it.

I like the guy, hope he scores 40 goals, leads us into the playoffs and gets paid handsomely for the effort. Now will I feel the same in 2 years if he's hitting the cap for 5 mill and scoring 15-20 goals a season? I'll figure that out then. He's a heart and soul guy, and I'm willing to bet, if healthy, he'll produce one way or another for this team for years to come.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
I invented critical, so there.

"The only one who gets me is Flava Flave" -Big Tasty

tumblr_mwufsqz7l21sgpbvuo3_250.gif

thebus2288*

If you mesh the skills of Nash and Zherdev and added in some grit and heart you get Nick Foligno.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL

no but I remember the Coach's post on The Union Blue about the With or Without You stats that showed Foligno made basically everyone better...

I'll own up, I said I thought he was replaceable with someone cheaper than he'll command, but if this is the Nick Foligno we'll get going forward, I'm ok with paying him

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Pay Nick and pay him handsomely. There really isn't any question about it, to me. You don't get any more core than Nick Foligno on the Jackets. Worse case scenario, provided Jarmo wisely balances dollars and term against the inclusion of an NMC (I know, Jarmo and wise don't really go together that well), Nick will likely be tradable.

But it's a fool's game IMO to start massaging Nick's cap hit against the potential of prospects. And as has been pointed out, should have happened already.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
While I don't underestimate the impact of heart and soul guys on team chemistry and performance there has to be a balance between that and skill and scoring ability and pay. I don't think anyone here would advocate getting rid of Foligno or a guy like him because of any reason other than salary. I am now in the he's worth 5 mill a year club based on his performance this year. I am not yet convinced he is a 6 million dollar guy based on 27 games, heart and soul notwithstanding.

That's fine. I think he'll get five and change.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Thinking close to 5.3+; I think term will be the sticking point. what do you think on term? 3 years?

It depends on how he scores for the rest of the year, but I would think 5.3 x 3 is a big hometown discount. And I think the market will put him at 6 or so. I'm guessing the most he could get on the market is 6 x 6.

I think Foligno will always be valuable even if he's not a top scorer. 6 or 7 years with him should be okay.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I think Foligno will always be valuable even if he's not a top scorer. 6 or 7 years with him should be okay.

Valuable yes but how valuable is the question. That's the tricky part of this negotiation. If his current pace continues he's a 70+ guy. I personally hope but don't believe that pace will continue and I can see him somewhere around 55 for the season. That would be about a .5 ppg avg from here on out. Projecting that over a full season that's 41 pts.

So lets say his range going forward is 40-60 pts per year with my thought being he most likely will average in the 45-50 range. Throw in the intangibles and what's that worth?

No more than Dubi money and term imo. If I were Jarmo I'd shoot for a bit less on both but it may take that to get him extended. Throw in the fact he apparently likes Columbus and the likelihood this team gets better over the next 5 years I believe he'll stay if the offer is fair.

I'm going with 5-5.5 a year for 6 years as the deal. Final answer.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Having been part of this discussion yet but I believe Horton's future has a lot to do with Foligno's next contract. I'm wondering why Horton hasn't been put on LTIR yet. 21 games allows them to do so and collect insurance money essentially getting him off the payroll for the year and certainly off the cap figure (not that it's critical but could be at deadline time).

I'd like to see Nick back. Great team guy, having a great year and has shown flashes of this in the past so I don't see this as a 1 year wonder situation. The sticking point may be term, not money. With the desire to see the young players come up and with several contracts potentially to be impactful within 5 years they may be looking to keep Nick to 4-5 years on his contract. If Horton moves to LTIR and spends the rest of his contract there (not sure if there are recapture penalties if he actually retires) that essentially opens up the money and top 6 spot for Nick long term.

I think if he's re-signed in-season it will be closer to the deadline as they see how Horton's injury situation plays out. If Nick wants 7 years and big money, he's gone at the deadline. That would suck.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Having been part of this discussion yet but I believe Horton's future has a lot to do with Foligno's next contract. I'm wondering why Horton hasn't been put on LTIR yet. 21 games allows them to do so and collect insurance money essentially getting him off the payroll for the year and certainly off the cap figure (not that it's critical but could be at deadline time).

I'd like to see Nick back. Great team guy, having a great year and has shown flashes of this in the past so I don't see this as a 1 year wonder situation. The sticking point may be term, not money. With the desire to see the young players come up and with several contracts potentially to be impactful within 5 years they may be looking to keep Nick to 4-5 years on his contract. If Horton moves to LTIR and spends the rest of his contract there (not sure if there are recapture penalties if he actually retires) that essentially opens up the money and top 6 spot for Nick long term.

I think if he's re-signed in-season it will be closer to the deadline as they see how Horton's injury situation plays out. If Nick wants 7 years and big money, he's gone at the deadline. That would suck.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the "cap relief" only kicks in if/when CBJ come up against the cap.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
FWIW, Foligno expresses an interest in staying with the CBJ in this ESPN article:

http://m.espn.go.com/nhl/story?storyId=12042035

From the article

This is my first time kind of going through it. I'm kind of green but obviously my first priority is to want to sign with the [Blue Jackets]. I love it here. I feel like I've really started to build something here and I want to see this team through because I think we have a lot of key components to being a winning team. I want to help in that regard, so that's definitely the case, but it's a business and you realize that the longer it goes. It's definitely somewhere where I want to invest time in and hopefully get a deal done, but I know that you have to look out for family as well and do what's right for you personally.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Essentially, "I'm staying. Just pay me what I'm worth."

Fair enough Nick, fair enough.. :sarcasm:

Exactly, just pay the man, we need to keep the hug going at any costs!

But in all seriousness, they both are going to get paid what they are worth this summer. I think they pay them accordingly not only because they deserve it, but to show players like Johansen (RFAs) if you produce, we will pay you what you're worth when you are a UFA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad