Jackets talk extension with Foligno

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
Also have to get Cam & Calvert and maybe Erixon re-signed. Even with raises for Cam & Calvert your point about the cap is right on. Erixon will be a rounding error if he is kept.

I was playing around a bit with the cap going forward and for the next three or four years we look okay in my mind, not considering any internal cap.

Given the amount of times he's seen the press box I see Erixon more as trade bait than as someone who is a priority to be re-signed.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
My guesses as to the salaries on the next deals:

Cam $2.3m
Calvert $1.5m
Letestu $2.5m
Foligno $5.25m
Bob $ 6.5m (it really depends on how he plays down the stretch)

Figuring out where this puts us in relation to next year's cap is tricky - we have a lot of bodies added on to the payroll right now because of injury. I think at full health minus Horton, we have enough roster space to add 3 more who aren't currently signed through next year and on the NHL roster. (Perhaps Wennberg, Chaput and a new backup. * This puts us at 23-men even with the assumption that Skille, Gibbons, Cracknell, Leopold, Erixon, and Golo all either walk or are demoted.) So add in another $3m.

+ 45m for continuing contracts, and minus a million for Commie coming off the books and minus 5m for Horton going on LTIR that puts us at $60m. Not a salary cap issue (its reportedly at $73m next year), but I don't know if the team is going to start an internal cap at some point.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

Cam $2.3m
Calvert $1.5m
Letestu $2.5m
Foligno $5.25m

Figuring out where this puts us in relation to next year's cap is tricky - we have a lot of bodies added on to the payroll right now because of injury. I think at full health minus Horton, we have enough roster space to add 3 more who aren't currently signed through next year and on the NHL roster. (Perhaps Wennberg, Chaput and a new backup. * This puts us at 23-men even with the assumption that Skille, Gibbons, Cracknell, Leopold, Erixon, and Golo all either walk or are demoted.) So add in another $3m.

+ 45m for continuing contracts, and minus a million for Commie coming off the books and minus 5m for Horton going on LTIR that puts us at $60m. Not a salary cap issue (its reportedly at $73m next year), but I don't know if the team is going to start an internal cap at some point.

I think you are low on Cam depending on how the season plays out. Right now he's on a 25 g, 15 A, 40 pt pace. So that is worth 2.5 + mill less than your boy Foligno? I know Foligno brings a bit more than pts but $3 mill worth? I dunno.

I'd guess Cam easily gets 3 mill plus on the open mkt or arbitration.

And I think you are a bit high on Letestu- I was thinking 2 mill or so.

Term is going to have to play a part here as well because there has to be some room left for Wennberg, Rychel,Dano & Bjiorkstrand. Not necessarily all 4 but we can't (shouldn't?) lock up our current roster for 5 years.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Portzline:
Nick Foligno, as they say, is going to get paid. I think he loves it in Columbus, and I think Columbus really wants his game to be part of the Blue Jackets' makeup for the next many years. I suspect they get something done, but he's played his way near $4M territory, I would think.

I agree, and if signing Nick means letting Cam go, well I'm not against that either. I like both players, but Foligno is instrumental imo, Cam is a good guy, streaky scorer, but not going to make or break this team.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I think you are low on Cam depending on how the season plays out. Right now he's on a 25 g, 15 A, 40 pt pace. So that is worth 2.5 + mill less than your boy Foligno? I know Foligno brings a bit more than pts but $3 mill worth? I dunno.

Term is going to have to play a part here as well because there has to be some room left for Wennberg, Rychel,Dano & Bjiorkstrand. Not necessarily all 4 but we can't (shouldn't?) lock up our current roster for 5 years.

Letestu is a UFA, so I bet he'll get better offers than 2million.

Maybe arbitration will get Cam his money, but he's a 5'7 one-dimensional RFA, he's not supposed to be in Foligno territory.

Nordique

Aug 11, 2005
Ohio

Cam is really hungry, and driving the net, firing ever good chance he gets. He leads the team in shots on goal, that's a result of hard a work and a desire to put the the puck in the net. He is playing for the biggest contract he'll ever see imo. This may very well be the best statistical year he'll ever have. I know I'd be laying it all out if I was in his, Nick's, or Matty's position right now.

Nordique

Aug 11, 2005
Ohio

Cam $2.3m
Calvert $1.5m
Letestu $2.5m
Foligno $5.25m

I think you are pretty close, but maybe high on Foligno and low on Letestu. I'm a huge fan of Letestu, and I think his skill set is very valuable. Pretending that I know something for a second here, I'll go with these:

Cam $2.25m
Calvert $1.5m
Letestu $3.0m
Foligno $5.0m

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I think you are pretty close, but maybe high on Foligno and low on Letestu. I'm a huge fan of Letestu, and I think his skill set is very valuable. Pretending that I know something for a second here, I'll go with these:

Cam $2.25m
Calvert $1.5m
Letestu $3.0m
Foligno $5.0m

We won't be paying a 4th line center $3 million per.

Nordique

Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Then he probably isn't a 4th line center on that team.

I love Letestu but in what world is he a 25 goal scorer?

His stats through the 9 games he's played this season had him on pace for 25/20, he was playing 16+ a night, and winning 58.8% on faceoffs.

Last season his scoring was not on par with this, but 2 seasons ago he led the team with 13 goals in 46 games during the lockout season paired mostly with Prospal. Again scoring at close to a 25 goal pace.

His numbers through 9 games this season are not an abnormality. If you give him 2nd/3rd line minutes, he'll produce. Top notch PK, 2nd PP unit.

I don't argue with terming him a 4th line center on this team, because when healthy we have very good center depth, but you'd put an asterik next to that label because you want this guy on the ice 15+ minutes a night.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
We won't be paying a 4th line center $3 million per.

MacKenzie got 1.3 on the open market. Letestu scores a bit more than him. No more than 2 for sure. Probably 1.6-1.75 is realistic.

FWIW, after seeing what intangibles are lost by Derek MacKenzie being gone, I think its important we keep Letestu.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
People are going to come and go but here is what I have as an estimate: I just threw numbers out there without thought, especially for Atkinson or Calvert. My point is there is plenty of cap room.

Foligno - 5 mil
Letestu - 1.65
Calvert - 1.75
Atkinson - 2.75
Bob - 6.75
backup goalie - 950k
Chaput - 850k

Among the current roster under contract for next year and those re-signs, that is 14 forwards, 7 D (incl Connauton and no Goloubef or Erixon) and 2 goalies

All that only adds up to $65,190,476.00 for next season. That still includes Horton on the roster and I still think Anisimov moves somewhere at the deadline or in the offseason.

There is room for people. Mike Commodore's buyout of $1,141,666.00 is also off the books for next year.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
People are going to come and go but here is what I have as an estimate: I just threw numbers out there without thought, especially for Atkinson or Calvert. My point is there is plenty of cap room.

Foligno - 5 mil
Letestu - 1.65
Calvert - 1.75
Atkinson - 2.75
Bob - 6.75
backup goalie - 950k
Chaput - 850k

Among the current roster under contract for next year and those re-signs, that is 14 forwards, 7 D (incl Connauton and no Goloubef or Erixon) and 2 goalies

All that only adds up to $65,190,476.00 for next season. That still includes Horton on the roster and I still think Anisimov moves somewhere at the deadline or in the offseason.

There is room for people. Mike Commodore's buyout of $1,141,666.00 is also off the books for next year.

Not picking on poster quoted, but I don't get the Calvert love. He has been mostly invisible this year and given the plethora of talent we have coming up, he seems very expendable to me.

I will say for ***** slapping Nash, I will always have a soft spot for him.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Not picking on poster quoted, but I don't get the Calvert love. He has been mostly invisible this year and given the plethora of talent we have coming up, he seems very expendable to me.

I will say for ***** slapping Nash, I will always have a soft spot for him.

I'm with ya, I'd rather have Rychel or Milano at 3rd line LW next year than Calvert, but that's just me.

Last edited:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Calvert's having a rough go this year. But don't forget how good he can be when he is at his best. He's earned a chance to see if he can get back to that.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I agree, and if signing Nick means letting Cam go, well I'm not against that either. I like both players, but Foligno is instrumental imo, Cam is a good guy, streaky scorer, but not going to make or break this team.

Gotta keep both. Cam brings speed/energy that we need. He also fits the bill of a guy that lays his heart on the line every game. We want guys like this on the team!

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I'm with ya, I'd rather have Rychel or Milano at 3rd line LW next year than Calvert, but that's just me.

I have always though Calvert would be a great 4th liner if we can keep his salary down to a reasonable level. Could be the next D-Mac.

With all the potential in the system that is about the only place I see him fitting long term.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
I have always though Calvert would be a great 4th liner if we can keep his salary down to a reasonable level. Could be the next D-Mac.

With all the potential in the system that is about the only place I see him fitting long term.

I agree, his forecheck and penalty kill, last night, were tenacious and effective. He also has a tendency to get under the skin of the opposition and is unafraid of anyone. He reminds me of a smaller, less stupid version of Dorsett or Torres. I also see the comparison to DMac.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but he plays fearless for his size. That kind of heart isn't in everyone.

Cam definitely has improved in that category over the scratching he took last year. However, his size is a limitation. I've always seen him as a comparable to Martin St. Louis as have many other people. I just don't think Martin St. Louis would be a great fit on this team either with the style of play they want to go for.

I do think Cam was pretty good last night in the effort category.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad