Jackets talk extension with Foligno

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Probable overpayment incoming.

I like Foligno but he can really cash out this offseason. Can't justify keeping a career 35-50pt player for what he'd get unless he'd take a nice discount here.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
This is wrong. Foligno is supposed to go to Pittsburgh. Haven't you gotten that memo?

:sarcasm:

Anyway, surely there is a risk for overpayment here, but if he stays healthy, Foligno is at a minimum a first line third wheel, a very good second liner who would be a GREAT third liner even if he fell off quite a bit.
His heart and intangibles are not in question, and it is not unlikely that what he has shown so far this season is pretty much what you are going to be seeing in the late part of his prime, ie. the next 3-4 years.

Flip side is that with being UFA and the 2015 draft being so hyped, you are likely not getting enough for him to make it really appealing to move him, and I'd think it was an absolute no-go for Columbus to see him walk.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Including this season, Foligno has scored 128 points in 222 games since the beginning of the 2011/12 NHL season. Averages out to roughly 47 points per 82 games, definitely 2nd liner numbers. Even if his production this year is an anomaly he's still going to be worth a lot to us given his leadership and intangibles. He's up there with Dubinsky and Jenner in terms of being the quintessential Blue Jacket.

Keep it at or below 5.5m AAV with 4+ years term and I'll be a happy camper. Essentially replaces the Horton contract.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com

I like Foligno but he can really cash out this offseason. Can't justify keeping a career 35-50pt player for what he'd get unless he'd take a nice discount here.
the difference between a 35 and 50 point player is pretty big in the NHL though, especially at the negotiation table and Foligno finds himself at the upper end of that spectrum

niflheim

Hockey is cheating
Nov 22, 2014
Portzline:
Nick Foligno, as they say, is going to get paid. I think he loves it in Columbus, and I think Columbus really wants his game to be part of the Blue Jackets' makeup for the next many years. I suspect they get something done, but he's played his way near $4M territory, I would think.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Portzline:
Nick Foligno, as they say, is going to get paid. I think he loves it in Columbus, and I think Columbus really wants his game to be part of the Blue Jackets' makeup for the next many years. I suspect they get something done, but he's played his way near $4M territory, I would think.
What's this from? And yeah, Porty, you definitely should "think" he's played his way near "$4m territory". Sometimes I really wonder how Portzline has the job that he has.. :shakehead

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I for one believe he is worth closer to Porty's 4 mill/yr than 5.5. His year to date appears to be an anomaly. No way does he maintain a 21.2 shooting %. My thought is to value him as the .5 pt per game guy that he was for the preceding 4 seasons.. My guess is if he is extended here its around 4.5 for 4-5 years. More like Hartnell money than Dubinsky. If he wants 5.5 its going to come in free agency.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
I for one believe he is worth closer to Porty's 4 mill/yr than 5.5. His year to date appears to be an anomaly. No way does he maintain a 21.2 shooting %. My thought is to value him as the .5 pt per game guy that he was for the preceding 4 seasons.. My guess is if he is extended here its around 4.5 for 4-5 years. More like Hartnell money than Dubinsky. If he wants 5.5 its going to come in free agency.
Not counting this season, during the 2011/12 + 2012/13 + 2013/14 seasons Foligno tallied 105 points in 197 games, averaging out to 43.7 points per 82 games.

In that same time frame, Benoit Pouliot tallied 88 points in 188 games, averaging out to 38.4 points per 82 games. Pouliot recently got 4m x 5 years on the open market.

I think most would agree that Foligno is better than Pouliot in every aspect of the game and they're roughly the same age and play the same position. He's gonna get offers better than 4m/yr for sure, whether it's from the CBJ or from a suitor in free agency.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I have no complaints if he gets 5.5/yr from us. Frankly I think he deserves and will get close to Dubinsky money. He's scored at a similar clip, he's similarly influential, and he's got good chemistry with our star #1C. He's worth it IMO.

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site
Such an important player. Great teams are built around having 7-10 B+ players vs. 2-3 A+ players. The money just works better. Foligno is trending in a solid B+ direction.

I think a team that could ice 9 Nick Folignos would fare reasonably well most nights.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Not counting this season, during the 2011/12 + 2012/13 + 2013/14 seasons Foligno tallied 105 points in 197 games, averaging out to 43.7 points per 82 games.

In that same time frame, Benoit Pouliot tallied 88 points in 188 games, averaging out to 38.4 points per 82 games. Pouliot recently got 4m x 5 years on the open market.

I think most would agree that Foligno is better than Pouliot in every aspect of the game and they're roughly the same age and play the same position. He's gonna get offers better than 4m/yr for sure, whether it's from the CBJ or from a suitor in free agency.

So you're saying that 5.3 pts per season is worth a million plus dollars?

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
So you're saying that 5.3 pts per season is worth a million plus dollars?
No, 5.3 pts isn't worth 1 million alone. BUT, combine that increased offensive production with the intangibles Foligno has over Pouliot, and the fact that he's trending upwards rather than downwards, and one might find that his market value is significantly higher than Pouliot's.

We'll see, I'd love to see him sign for below 5m/yr though. I'm admittedly in favor of team friendly contracts, so the lower AAV the better :)

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
If they can keep the cap hit under $5.5 million that would be great. He's turning into the embodiment of what it means to be a Blue Jacket. That might not mean much, but his play and style really resonates with the fans.

Plus...you have to keep Team Hug together.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
If we could get foligno at around 4 would be a steal. I think Unless he takes a hometown discount he will be closer to 5mill than 4 mill. If he does take around 4-5 mill I do it, if it's anything above he needs to be moved along.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Such an important player. Great teams are built around having 7-10 B+ players vs. 2-3 A+ players. The money just works better. Foligno is trending in a solid B+ direction.

I think a team that could ice 9 Nick Folignos would fare reasonably well most nights.

The lesson learned here are intangibles. Derek MacKenzie walked because he was given a bigger payday than the CBJ were willing to offer. He may still be overpaid but if CBJ management had valued his intangibles a bit more, I bet they would have upped the offer and he possibly would have stayed here. Its pretty obvious that the 3rd and 4th lines have ben lacking what he brought to the team.

Nick Foligno was brought here because he was a character guy that was needed to get the team going in the right direction. You don't let those guys walk or leave unless their demands are ridiculous or you legitimately don't have the cap room to keep them. I don't see either of those being an issue at this time.

He can make relatively similar money to Brandon Dubinsky and I'm OK with that because both of those guys bring heart that this team needs to maintain. Dubinsky is making a hit of 5.85. Just based on prior body of work, I could see Foligno as much as 5.25.

If this team wants to get serious about winning. They need to keep these key players. If you take out Horton for LTIR, they are around 10 million below the cap. Giving Foligno as much as a 2 million dollar raise isn't a back breaker unless Nathan Horton ever comes back.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
5-5.25 seems to be the sweet spot for #71 - worth every penny for what he brings night in night out in terms of leadership and character.

Sidenote:
Met him after the home loss to TB as he was headed up to sign autographs.. took the time to shake my hand and I said "no matter what happens, Columbus is behind you!" :yo:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Portzline:

:laugh: $4m? Has Porty been living in a cave? I think he was easily at 4 before busting out this season, now he's around 5, probably a lot more on the open market.

And do you know what .5 ppg players who occasionally bust out and score 30 goals get paid in free agency? When they have universally acclaimed intangibles and are in their primes? $5m easily.

I hope by discount you mean take $5m rather than 6. We can't justify letting a player like Foligno go for anything less. We have the money and we need him. What replaces Nick Foligno? Another overpriced UFA who isn't as good?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Including this season, Foligno has scored 128 points in 222 games since the beginning of the 2011/12 NHL season. Averages out to roughly 47 points per 82 games, definitely 2nd liner numbers. Even if his production this year is an anomaly he's still going to be worth a lot to us given his leadership and intangibles. He's up there with Dubinsky and Jenner in terms of being the quintessential Blue Jacket.

Keep it at or below 5.5m AAV with 4+ years term and I'll be a happy camper. Essentially replaces the Horton contract.

This is where I hope we're headed. I think if Jarmo is still trying to do something around $4m all he is going to do is persuade Foligno that he'd be more valued elsewhere. $5m x 7 sounds right to me.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Nick has been my favorite Jacket since the day they traded for him. Indeed, checking HF history my first post advocating his acquisition was in January of 2011. And he's been even better than I expected. (And this doesn't even include 'The Hug.')

I offer this only by way of admitting some bias in my willingness to pay the player. Anyway I agree with McGinty.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
This is wrong. Foligno is supposed to go to Pittsburgh. Haven't you gotten that memo?

:sarcasm:

Anyway, surely there is a risk for overpayment here, but if he stays healthy, Foligno is at a minimum a first line third wheel, a very good second liner who would be a GREAT third liner even if he fell off quite a bit.
His heart and intangibles are not in question, and it is not unlikely that what he has shown so far this season is pretty much what you are going to be seeing in the late part of his prime, ie. the next 3-4 years.

Flip side is that with being UFA and the 2015 draft being so hyped, you are likely not getting enough for him to make it really appealing to move him, and I'd think it was an absolute no-go for Columbus to see him walk.

I agree with this. He isn't going to keep scoring at a point per game, but at worst he's still making Joey a better player on the top line. You have to pay for players like that.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
For those who would not pay Foligno $5m a year, I'd like an explanation of how you would alternatively spend $5m, that would make us a better team than with Foligno.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad