Rumor: Jackets looking at Perron/Anisimov deal?

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
I think it's a reach to say Jenner can take over the 3C role this season. He has played EIGHT games at center in the NHL. I believe he needs time before he is thrust into that role on a team with zero margin for error.

Jenner has probably been our best forward since he returned from injury. Guy is a perfect 3C and can play higher in the lineup if needed. Not sure what you are seeing that indicates he needs more time.

Letestu is a terrific 4C, yet he doesn't have ideal size that Anisimov posesses.

IMO, Letestu is too good for Boll and Tropp and whatever other chaff we throw out on the 4th line. I would have no problem putting him on the 3rd line if needed.

Getting a skilled winger for Anisimov may make lots of sense, in a year or two.

Why would we acquire a skilled winger to play on the 3rd line? You glossed over the fact that Dubinsky will be our 2C for years to come.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
Jenner has probably been our best forward since he returned from injury. Guy is a perfect 3C and can play higher in the lineup if needed. Not sure what you are seeing that indicates he needs more time.

IMO, Letestu is too good for Boll and Tropp and whatever other chaff we throw out on the 4th line. I would have no problem putting him on the 3rd line if needed.

Why would we acquire a skilled winger to play on the 3rd line? You glossed over the fact that Dubinsky will be our 2C for years to come.

Jenner is showing he is not ready to play center yet. A 3C must be a beast on faceoffs, especially in the defensive zone. To be effective, he must finish in the Offensive Zone more than he starts there. Look at his production to date

Defensive Zone Faceoff Win 44.2%
Offensive Zone Faceoff Win 41.8%
Neutral Zone Faceoff Win 51.9%
Overall Faceoff 46.1%

5 on 5 Puck Possession
He has been given easier starts: 52.2% in the Offensive Zone
He finishes more often than not in the Defensive Zone- Offensive Zone Finishes 47.2%

I love Jenner's game and in another year or two he may be ready.

The Jackets would use a very valuable commodity, a big two way center to acquire a skilled winger at the right time. Nothing in my post requires that wing play on the 3rd line.

If Dubinsky is the 2C for years to come, then where does Wennberg fit? He is not suited to play in the bottom 6.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Jenner is showing he is not ready to play center yet. A 3C must be a beast on faceoffs, especially in the defensive zone. To be effective, he must finish in the Offensive Zone more than he starts there. Look at his production to date

Defensive Zone Faceoff Win 44.2%
Offensive Zone Faceoff Win 41.8%
Neutral Zone Faceoff Win 51.9%
Overall Faceoff 46.1%

Compared to Anisimov's whopping 46.3% overall faceoff %? And Jenner has played there for 8 games, when AA is a veteran of how many games? Oh I forgot, the excuse is that he's been "concussed." Even more reason to sell high.

If Dubinsky is the 2C for years to come, then where does Wennberg fit? He is not suited to play in the bottom 6.

In Springfield until 2016. Then probably a winger.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
Compared to Anisimov's whopping 46.3% overall faceoff %? And Jenner has played there for 8 games, when AA is a veteran of how many games? Oh I forgot, the excuse is that he's been "concussed." Even more reason to sell high.

In Springfield until 2016. Then probably a winger.

You must not have notice Anisimov's 5 on5 Offensive Zone starts are 47.2% and his offensive Zone finishes are a whopping 57.1%. THAT's what a 3C needs to bring.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
You must not have notice Anisimov's 5 on5 Offensive Zone starts are 47.2% and his offensive Zone finishes are a whopping 57.1%. THAT's what a 3C needs to bring.

Well, if you want to look at 2 obscure advanced stats as the ultimate judge of a player, go right ahead. I will look at the full body of work, including the same number of points in 4 fewer games, higher ice time, better +/-, more shots on goal, physical play, overall effort, and age/potential. My choice is Jenner going forward.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I think with Dubi and Jenner/Wennberger as our 2 & 3 centers we will really have a 2A and 2B. Perfect for rolling three lines and if we have Letestu c'g the 4th line I'd say we're in good shape down the middle.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
Well, if you want to look at 2 obscure advanced stats as the ultimate judge of a player, go right ahead. I will look at the full body of work, including the same number of points in 4 fewer games, higher ice time, better +/-, more shots on goal, physical play, overall effort, and age/potential. My choice is Jenner going forward.

All positions are not the same. Please show how any of Jenner's stats show he is a better CENTER in any way today- right now- than Anisimov and that this team would be better off with Jenner centering the 3rd line than Anisimov.

I think Jenner is best suited today on Johansen's wing. He will get more shots, more time in the offensive zone and more space to score than playing 3 C. Putting him on the 3rd line reduces the team's offensive output a bit.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
All positions are not the same. Please show how any of Jenner's stats show he is a better CENTER in any way today- right now- than Anisimov and that this team would be better off with Jenner centering the 3rd line than Anisimov.

I think Jenner is best suited today on Johansen's wing. He will get more shots, more time in the offensive zone and more space to score than playing 3 C. Putting him on the 3rd line reduces the team's offensive output a bit.

The thing is he has to play center to get it back. This year was the 1st time he started as a center in a couple years so in his defense it's not surprising he isn't as sharp as he could be on faceoffs. Wasn't he really good at the dot last game?

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
The thing is he has to play center to get it back. This year was the 1st time he started as a center in a couple years so in his defense it's not surprising he isn't as sharp as he could be on faceoffs. Wasn't he really good at the dot last game?

Yeah he above 60%. Jenner has played center his entire life, I'd argue he's more comfortable there then anywhere else. Just look at the chemistry him and Hartnell had in the two games Richards gave them..

Put Jenner in the 2C, Wennberg on the wing, letestu and Chaput as 3/4C

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Jenner started out abysmally for a new center taking draws, as expected, and I'm sure a broken hand didn't help. But since then, in the last two weeks, Jenner is above 60%, and 71% in the last game. Notice the upward trajectory.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
And you do realize Arty has played 9 fewer games, and plays with guys like Wennberg, Cracknell, etc, while Perron plays with Hall, Eberle, Yakupov and Nugent-Hopkins, right?

No Perron usually plays with Draisaitl (Draisaitl the Unready), and then occasionally with a good winger on the other side, but usually not.

Anisimov is very underrated. Between he and Perron, Arty is the better two-way player. He also has the ability to go on hot streaks, which is why he got 22 goals last season, and he doesn't usually get top-6 minutes either.

There you go again, counting the peak against the trough. If you're going to use Arty's hot streaks in his favor, then you must also use his long droughts, and take into account that Perron typically scores 50% more at the end of the day.

If we trade Arty, that will be a big blow to our center position. Look at how terrible we were down the middle when Arty was out.
As much as people want to see Jenner at C, he was getting destroyed in faceoffs, and you can tell, he's just not ready to be a full-time center just yet.
Anisimov really solidifies our center position. When healthy, Johansen, Dubinsky, Anisimov, Letestu down the middle is pretty much uncontested most nights.

See above post on Jenner's faceoffs. You can make an okay argument that we shouldn't move Arty until at least after Dubi and Letestu are back, but when they're all back it's really hard to argue that Arty is a better center option than Jenner or Dubi.

*FWIW I still like Jenner as a power-winger, but I'm very encouraged by his play at center and his versatility in that aspect does substantially make it easier to move Arty out (and especially desirable if you can upgrade him to a Perron-level player).

Of course I do. If you have been watching the Oilers this year (and you may have) it's amazing to see Perron is no longer gritty and has become mostly a perimeter player. That's why he has two goals this year.

I watch most Oilers games, unfortunately. Perron's had a rough start, but I really doubt he's forgotten forever how to play his game. It's a good bet that if you can get him away from Draisaitl and Edmonton, he turns it around quick.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
Honest to god, I had a disclaimer in my original post about Nikitin being on that team as well, but decided to leave out the nut punch to him. :laugh:
Sorry. I still can't believe we gave you guys a pick for "exclussive rights" to sign him. Howson strikes again!! :laugh:
He'd fit right in here. :cry:

We had him when we trade Pronger to the Ducks and he was the main piece coming back...think about that for a second. He was terrible back then and has only gotten worse since. Sure he's had a few good games in TO, but I would hate to see him in a Columbus uniform.

I was really looking forward to you guys taking the next step this year. Last year was a great run. Lupul is a cancer. You don't deserve that. You deserve an injury free lineup. Between you guys and the Bruins, it's been a disaster for injuries. Not that I mind the Bruins suffering a bit....

major major

Feb 18, 2013

Yes, but the article also makes a good case why they shouldn't trade him for anything short of a top pair defender (we don't really have one either ) or plus #2C (we aren't trading Dubi or Jenner). Maybe a little bit of both could suffice (ergo Tyutin and Anisimov).

Meanwhile Perron would only cost Anisimov.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Yes, but the article also makes a good case why they shouldn't trade him for anything short of a top pair defender (we don't really have one either ) or plus #2C (we aren't trading Dubi or Jenner). Maybe a little bit of both could suffice (ergo Tyutin and Anisimov).

Meanwhile Perron would only cost Anisimov.

I wouldn't mind the Anisimov for Perron trade but is Perron+Jenner any better then Anisimov+Jenner? Jenner looks good in the middle but he also looks so good on the wing which makes it a tough choice. Plus having extras centers that work just as well on the wing is a nice luxury.

niflheim

Hockey is cheating
Nov 22, 2014
All positions are not the same.

Old good times, old bad phobias... Fedorov - Svitov - Vyborny as 1 line OR :laugh:

user46710_pic1179_1225217721.jpg

I'm personally for centers

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I wouldn't mind the Anisimov for Perron trade but is Perron+Jenner any better then Anisimov+Jenner? Jenner looks good in the middle but he also looks so good on the wing which makes it a tough choice. Plus having extras centers that work just as well on the wing is a nice luxury.

All else equal you go for C's and C/W's, correct. But we're projected to have a good 6 or 7 NHL quality C's and C/W's, and Perron > Anisimov.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Why the target should be Eberle rather than Perron:

I think you could have just stopped at "he's a better, younger player that would cost too much". But hey, why not target the fantasy? It only took Rick Nash to get Dubinsky and the front office was targeting Dubinsky for 3 years. Maybe they are in love with AA the way we were with Dubinsky.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Anisimov did a pretty good job of going out and skating around tonight before going back to the bench.

Honestly, he was outshone by Gibbons and Skille.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I think you could have just stopped at "he's a better, younger player that would cost too much". But hey, why not target the fantasy? It only took Rick Nash to get Dubinsky and the front office was targeting Dubinsky for 3 years. Maybe they are in love with AA the way we were with Dubinsky.

Or the Caps were with Martin Erat? Strange things happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad