Jackets - Leafs best of 5 play-in

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
It's weird that whenever a goalie plays well that ISN'T Korpisalo it's on the team. But when the team wins WITH Korpisalo it's because of Korpisalo.

My thing with Bobrovsky was that he was given WAY TOO MUCH credit for way too long. Up until only the last year was it seen that the team had a comparable impact on the team winning as he did. Before that, MANY fans (CBJ or opposing fans) made it seem like he was essentially the only reason they would finish where they did when positive, and yet get A LOT of his negative play excused and actually blamed on the team when it was the other way around. As much as I hated on Bobrovsky, and 1 of my main issue's was his (very) BAD play, the "playoff Bob" that DID EXIST, and it happened (and was excused) more than his fans want/wanted to admit, he is still a MUCH BETTER goalie than Merzlikins. As is Korpisalo.

You will find nowhere where I say that Korpisalo is "stealing wins" or the only reason the team is winning games. This however, IS 1 of the things that bothers me the most, as people DID and DO say this about Bob and Merzlikins.

Go back and watch some early games/highlights of Merzlikins. Do the same with his spectacular streak that DOES NOT statistically represent how good of a goalie he is. It has WAY MORE to do with a structure employed by Tortorella and EXECUTION on the ice by the actual players. It wasn't/hasn't been just a couple/few games that Merzlikins has looked like a legit minor league goalie.

Merzlikins is terrible, is now playing with faux confidence behind a team that has NO confidence in him. Let me rephrase, WAS playing behind a team. Korpisalo to start, as I don't believe even Torts can overthink and botch this lineup decision.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Also, round 1 is a best of 5, so you probably mean CBJ in 4? Maybe 5?

Uh, well, what I meant was....enough games will go to OT that it will be equivalent to 6 games played.....:whatever:

So either a combo of long OT's in earlier games or any OT in game 5 makes my comment statistically accurate!! :D

Come at me nah brah :hit:

Korpi 4 Conn Smythe

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
In what aspect ? Kukan has been pretty average when he had a chance to play in Jones spot. Gavrikov is a DD and Nutivaara has performed on a similar level to Kukan.

That's the key, the usage/role. Kukan/Nutivaara/Gavrikov/anybody will look different in a different role tasked to do different things against better players more often.

I'd say that Gavrikov is better defensively than Kukan, but, even he makes some questionable/"slow" decisions, that IMO are due to some (justified) worries about his own mobility against some of the quicker and more agile players in the league. Nutivaara is primarily an offensive D man (imo?) and really I'd like to consider him a "poor mans" Werenski, as he leads me to wanting more on the ice at times.

What I like the most about Kukan, and his combo with Murray, is his (their) skating and mobility. Not only do I think (while simply not being able to play a strong -Polak-like- stay at home defense that Gavrikov can/is developing) that Kukan isn't much worse than Gavrikov defensively (much to do with his superior mobility) I honestly think he has just as much (if not more) offensive ability than Nutivaara, while not having as many issues as Nutivaara playing defense.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
My thing with Bobrovsky was that he was given WAY TOO MUCH credit for way too long. Up until only the last year was it seen that the team had a comparable impact on the team winning as he did. Before that, MANY fans (CBJ or opposing fans) made it seem like he was essentially the only reason they would finish where they did when positive, and yet get A LOT of his negative play excused and actually blamed on the team when it was the other way around. As much as I hated on Bobrovsky, and 1 of my main issue's was his (very) BAD play, the "playoff Bob" that DID EXIST, and it happened (and was excused) more than his fans want/wanted to admit, he is still a MUCH BETTER goalie than Merzlikins. As is Korpisalo.

You will find nowhere where I say that Korpisalo is "stealing wins" or the only reason the team is winning games. This however, IS 1 of the things that bothers me the most, as people DID and DO say this about Bob and Merzlikins.

Go back and watch some early games/highlights of Merzlikins. Do the same with his spectacular streak that DOES NOT statistically represent how good of a goalie he is. It has WAY MORE to do with a structure employed by Tortorella and EXECUTION on the ice by the actual players. It wasn't/hasn't been just a couple/few games that Merzlikins has looked like a legit minor league goalie.

Merzlikins is terrible, is now playing with faux confidence behind a team that has NO confidence in him. Let me rephrase, WAS playing behind a team. Korpisalo to start, as I don't believe even Torts can overthink and botch this lineup decision.

Are you a fan of the CBJ?

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006

Merzlikins really struggled while playing a game here or there early on..then finished with a .923 and a 2.35... And he is terrible. Their style certainly helps but if Bob was in the net this year would he have a .940 and a 1.95? I don't think the starter is at all a given going into game 1...

Reactions: Reynys

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Lets get back on topic. :D

Jones and Werenski are practicing together on the first powerplay unit, along with Bjorkstrand, Dubois, and Nyquist. So Svoboda says, I haven't seen it.

I'm imagining something like this:

------------------------ Dubois
Jones/Bjorkstrand - Nyquist - Jones/Bjorkstrand
------------------------ Werenski

This has me pretty excited. Those two were both on unit 1 vs Tampa last Spring (you might remember a certain game one Jones goal :D )

They tried it again for a few games right after Maclean was brought in, and Jones and Werenski spent entire powerplays just needlessly switching with each other, it was a disaster. In my opinion Jones has an incredible shot but he's not as good as Werenski at threading it through from the point. I want Jones to stay at the halfwall and Werenski at the point.

Reactions: thebus88

member 300185

I don't care about talent level meeting the needs of each line, because outside of the first line, all of the lines might have similar minutes, and all will have to play shifts against Marner's line or Matthews' line. Sheltering isn't going to be possible. It makes more sense to focus on chemistry and observe that as well as possible using past results from each duo and trio.

In any case, it just so happens that the 2nd line I was most comfortable with was Texier/Foligno - Atkinson. Great results this year, and they happen to have the look of a top six line. Foligno-Texier also have a way of reading off each other, basically taking turns at center.
Im sure you meant Tavares's line because Marner plays on the wing with Matthews as centre and Hyman on the other wing.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Are you a fan of the CBJ?
Uh....yes. I don’t understand the jab/question, what are you trying to say?

Too add, I am excited and confident in the team AGAIN this year. As I have been year after year going back and forth with you ‘free food night’ fans.

“Unsustainability Sustained” 4 years in a row my man take the bag off.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Merzlikins really struggled while playing a game here or there early on..then finished with a .923 and a 2.35... And he is terrible. Their style certainly helps but if Bob was in the net this year would he have a .940 and a 1.95? I don't think the starter is at all a given going into game 1...

It wasn’t just a game here or there early on, he literally lost his 1st 10 games in a row. And he started piling up the losses again in February and was looking very shaky again while doing so.

The team has much less confidence in Elvis and it causes them to play much more cautious. That’s where his low GAA comes from. I have not looked at the numbers but I’d be willing to bet the teams goals scored per game is smaller with Elvis in net also.

Look at how many games each guy played in and how many points the team earned in those games....

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I rage quit this board a few weeks ago, but I happened to see this and I had to come back to say.......that is singularly the worst opinion on this board. Ever.

Take care.

Oh yea? I explained why I felt that way and don’t think it’s ridiculous at all. Why is it that only certain players can be seen in such high regard? And quite frankly at his best Kukan HAS outplayed both Nutivaara and Gavrikov. I’m not saying he’s better than f***in Werenski here. And I’m not hating on either Nut or Gav when I say I like Kukan’s overall game compared to the other 2.

Kukan might have an edge in skating, but that’s about it

Yea just that AND every offensive aspect of the game besides probably pure shot velocity....

member 300185

Ok.

So 2 blondes were across a lake from one another. One blonde yells to the other blonde "how do I get to the other side"? And the other blonde yells back "You ARE on the other side".
You could switch out the blondes with Montreal Canadian players.

Reactions: Xoggz22

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Given his age, limited experience in the NHL and already high level of play, Gavrikov is our #3 in the short and long term. He's shown more offensive upside than people want to give him credit for and his game improved tremendously as the year went on. His skating is excellent as is his positioning and his improvement on when to join the rush was quite positive. He's the youngest between Nuti and Kukan as well. I love Kukan and hope he's also part of the long term. He and Gavrikov are different types of players but the overall game of Gavrikov is much more consistent than Kukan. Kukan still has top 4 upside in my opinion but still needs a little more work. Gavrikov comes across as more seasoned, already, to me and he's had < 1 year in the NHL.

I don't think there needs to be a debate as my hope is both remain part of the long term solution but if I'm forced to pick, it's Gavrikov for me. Followed closely by Kukan. I think Nuti holds high value and would be a better trade piece a this point.

Reactions: thebus88 and Fro

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Uh....yes. I don’t understand the jab/question, what are you trying to say?

Too add, I am excited and confident in the team AGAIN this year. As I have been year after year going back and forth with you ‘free food night’ fans.

“Unsustainability Sustained” 4 years in a row my man take the bag off.

My point is for such a “true fan” you shit on almost every player that isn’t named Jones, Korpisalo, and Dubinsky. Not a jab, an observation.

I think everyone here has favorites and preferences, whether that be skill level, style of player, or whatever, but I don’t think anyone (else) literally picks players to love/hate and have zero give and take on anything otherwise (the exception being wennberg, who is almost unanimously hated/maligned on here). You have picked apart the games of Anderson, Wennberg, Bob, Werenski, now Elvis, etc for years with very little to no praise along the way for them. Yet players like korpisalo, Dubinsky, etc can do no wrong. Even when they’re struggling, you say it’s due to other reasons around the team, and when the play well it’s always been in front of our eyes and everyone else was too dumb to see it.

It’s tiring. You say other posters (including me) are always negative. Yet every positive thing you post about the team/players is followed up by incredibly negative things about the team/players. I don’t get it.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I don’t get it.

It's an overly dualistic mindset. There are the good people and there are the bad people. I suppose a lot of folks think that way, it's just funny to apply that frame to your (putatively) favorite hockey team.

That said, I'm tired of this sub rotating around one posters bizarre antics. We have a really momentous playoff series coming up and I feel like I'm the only one who wants to talk about it.

Reactions: thebus88

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
I am looking forward to this. I hope it all plays out because we need some live action sports.
I just hope the Jackets stay disciplined and keep the penalties to a minimum. Their best chance at winning this is staying 5 on 5. If the PP shows up, great, but I am not counting on it.
I hope they start Korpi, as I feel he has something to prove after melting in the Calder Cup finals. He needs to prove he can handle the pressure of a big playoff series. He earned it riding the bench behind Bob, and really has done nothing to not get the starts. It will probably be a short leash because of the shorter series, but I would rather start the guy with more NHL experience.
Having our injured back helps our chances, but I like the reserves they have in case someone goes down. I had more confidence last year, but the way this team came together this year was nice. If they can get that back, they can be a tough matchup for any of the teams left. They played them all very competitively this year.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
It's an overly dualistic mindset. There are the good people and there are the bad people. I suppose a lot of folks think that way, it's just funny to apply that frame to your (putatively) favorite hockey team.

That said, I'm tired of this sub rotating around one posters bizarre antics. We have a really momentous playoff series coming up and I feel like I'm the only one who wants to talk about it.

I feel like talking about the series will be easier once the games are actually being played. It’s hard to talk about hypotheticals (the goalie battle, lineup cards, matchups) because we’ve already talked about these things weeks ago when the matchups were first announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad