Jackets - Leafs best of 5 play-in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Elvis is hurt according to Torts. Elvis also has a 1.96 gaa and .946 save percentage as a rookie in his first nhl playoff experience , not to mention that his ability to move the puck has led to 7 g by the cbj when he’s playing , and 2g in support when Korpi has been in net . Having said all that Korpi has been solid with a 2.05 gaa and .938 save percentage , we just miss his ability to transition puck which is big against a Toronto team that try’s to really push their transition , which makes them vulnerable to counterpunch
So you are saying Elvis' offensive ability led directly to 7 goals? His assist was a rebound that just happened to go to the guy that set up the goal. There is a one goal difference between the two goalies, and although a rookie, I have been told his overseas big game experience means more the Korpi's NHL experience.

Reactions: thebus88

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
So you are saying Elvis' offensive ability led directly to 7 goals? His assist was a rebound that just happened to go to the guy that set up the goal. There is a one goal difference between the two goalies, and although a rookie, I have been told his overseas big game experience means more the Korpi's NHL experience.
I’m saying his ability to move the puck, not always cover the puck and hold it for a face off , makes a big difference , especially against Toronto , who is ultra aggressive to jump up for quick transition opportunities, and they have more team speed then we do .

Reactions: Iron Balls McGinty

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Elvis is hurt according to Torts. Elvis also has a 1.96 gaa and .946 save percentage as a rookie in his first nhl playoff experience , not to mention that his ability to move the puck has led to 7 g by the cbj when he’s playing , and 2g in support when Korpi has been in net . Having said all that Korpi has been solid with a 2.05 gaa and .938 save percentage , we just miss his ability to transition puck which is big against a Toronto team that try’s to really push their transition , which makes them vulnerable to counterpunch
People underestimate how much better a team can be with a goalie who can play the puck. They always called Martin Brodeur a 3rd defenseman back there. He also made mistakes on occasion but Elvis haters on here will constantly point to the Winnipeg game.

Reactions: The Bread Man

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Yeah to be fair to Torts they are both mediocre goalies and mentally weak. You just never know what you're gonna get.

Calling them mediocre seems unfair. Maybe if you go by Korpi’s advanced stats this year. But going by either’s “normal” stats (and Elvis’s advanced stats) they are not mediocre.

Each is also in the top 5 out of 26 goalies in goals saved vs expectations in the qualifiers (and the chart, I’m guessing, had a minimum TOI to be included, because it didn’t list Mike Smith, who was complete trash in the first period of game 1 against Chicago, so that’s a 27th goalie. Not sure if there are other goalies also missing that have played.) It’s admittedly a small sample size.

I don’t like calling out people as mentally weak without personally knowing them but I’ll agree with you that each of them have appeared to lose composure in the past (Korpi more expressively, Elvis more from a “body language” perspective). Don’t know if that necessarily makes someone “mentally weak” though.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
I’m saying his ability to move the puck, not always cover the puck and hold it for a face off , makes a big difference , especially against Toronto , who is ultra aggressive to jump up for quick transition opportunities, and they have more team speed then we do .
OK. That's fine. You said it led to 7 goals, which I disagree with. Goalies that move the puck well are fine, but what comes with it can also not be fine, like earlier in the season when Elvis tried moving the puck and gave it right to the opposition who then scored on him, which led to him losing a game he should have won. Also, if you have an aggressive team like Toronto is jumping up for transition opportunities, I would prefer our goalie doesn't try to move the puck because why wouldn't the defense jump on that. If you remember early in the game he tried moving the puck, ended up stickless, and luckily the Toronto guy didn't really get a good shot off or that could have totally changed how Toronto played. Granted there was a miscommunication between him and the defenseman that was there, I think it was Jones, the Toronto player picked his pocket and took his stick also. Honestly, with how hard this team has to work to score, and keep the other team from scoring, I would rather have our goalies focus on goaltending.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Elvis literally isn’t even BETTER at moving/playing the puck than the average goalie, Korpisalo included.

Being more aggressive doesn’t make you better.

Reactions: Monstershockey

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Elvis literally isn’t even BETTER at moving/playing the puck than the average goalie, Korpisalo included.

Being more aggressive doesn’t make you better.
I strongly disagree with this. Your bias is showing.
We have no great goalies. We have two above average goalies. And tonight, we only have one.

Reactions: Iron Balls McGinty
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad