Jackets - Leafs best of 5 play-in

Status
Not open for further replies.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Reactions: thebus88

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I think it will come down to goaltending. If Elvis/Korpi are up to it Jackets will have a chance. Leafs have better offense, I think Jackets better D. Short series anything can happen, especially in this scenario. Will playoff intensity be there from Day 1? I don't know but I suspect it may take a few games to ramp up.

Reactions: majormajor

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I want hockey but this is just the worst plan....

To me, if both teams come back at the same level of competitiveness, the Jackets win. Sounds like everyone but Josh would likely be healthy?

MFRONE

Feb 3, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Are we sure Texier is healthy? I haven’t heard anything about his rehab and it by far sounds like the most serious of all the ones suffered due to the long term lingering affects it could have.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Are we sure Texier is healthy? I haven’t heard anything about his rehab and it by far sounds like the most serious of all the ones suffered due to the long term lingering affects it could have.

This is the most recent news I could find (6 days ago):

"Texier was placed on injured reserve Jan. 1 with a lumbar stress fracture, which kept him off the ice and out of workouts for two months. The Jackets used a cautious approach with the injured rookie for good reason, but he’s more than four months into his recovery and is back on the ice for rehab work.

Texier, 20, is also expected to be ready when the season resumes."

Injured Blue Jackets players get healthy during NHL shutdown

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
So...Elvis or Korpi?

Korpi's one chance at playoff stardom started well in Cleveland but after back to back losses was replaced by Anton Forsberg who went 9-0 and hoisted The Calder Cup. His final #s were 6-2 with a .898 Save Percentage and 2.96 GAA while his partner in net went 9-0 with a .949 Save Percentage and 1.34 GAA.

Of course this is many years later and Korpi is a much better and more experienced goalie than he was back then.

Elvis has played on the huge stage of World Championships and carried his overmatched teams to victory.

Who do you think gets the net?

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I have many questions.

If it's in Columbus:
-Will they still throw pizza boxes into the stands during that absurd song?
-Will the cannon be fired?
-Will they announce goals, penalties, "one minute remaining," etc.?
-Will they have music going during breaks or would it just be totally silent?
-Will it be Rimer/Shelley on FSO or will they have an NBCSN crew?
-What will they cap the # of attendees at? I'm thinking execs, family, etc. who they could allow in suites/boxes.

-Will they go through a "pre season" of a few exhibition games first or jump right into the playoffs?

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
Physicality will be a mute factor in a short game series.

looking forward to getting thread banned during the play offs

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I have Toronto in 4. I just don't think we stack well against their top talent.

And yes I know we beat Tampa in 4 last year with that exact argument but we don't have as good of a team this year.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
So...Elvis or Korpi?

Korpi's one chance at playoff stardom started well in Cleveland but after back to back losses was replaced by Anton Forsberg who went 9-0 and hoisted The Calder Cup. His final #s were 6-2 with a .898 Save Percentage and 2.96 GAA while his partner in net went 9-0 with a .949 Save Percentage and 1.34 GAA.

Of course this is many years later and Korpi is a much better and more experienced goalie than he was back then.

Elvis has played on the huge stage of World Championships and carried his overmatched teams to victory.

Whoever knocks the rust off first considering neither have been allowed to train on the ice during all of this. Elvis has been here the whole time. Did Korpisalo go back to Finland and possibly have to quarantine when he comes back?

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I have many questions.

If it's in Columbus:
-Will they still throw pizza boxes into the stands during that absurd song?
-Will the cannon be fired?
-Will they announce goals, penalties, "one minute remaining," etc.?
-Will they have music going during breaks or would it just be totally silent?
-Will it be Rimer/Shelley on FSO or will they have an NBCSN crew?
-What will they cap the # of attendees at? I'm thinking execs, family, etc. who they could allow in suites/boxes.

-Will they go through a "pre season" of a few exhibition games first or jump right into the playoffs?

They should fire the cannon for anyone who is the "home" team in games so they learn to like what it feels like to play on this side and want to come to Columbus.

Reactions: Viqsi

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
So...Elvis or Korpi?

Definitely Elvis. Big game resume and after that 5 shutouts in 8 games he's shown that he has a very high level he can sometimes get to. He could also be awful, but we need to gamble on upside here, we aren't winning the cup with average or slightly-above-average goaltending.

Reactions: cslebn

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Hey guys, Leafs fan here.
I will be doing an overview of the teams on the Leafs board, and need your help.
What will most likely be your forward lines, defense pairs and goaltender? You guys are expected to be fully healthy too.

Reactions: TopCheese

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I will be doing an overview of the teams on the Leafs board, and need your help.
What will most likely be your forward lines, defense pairs and goaltender? You guys are expected to be fully healthy too.

Josh Anderson probably won't be back, it depends on when the series starts. I'd help you out with lines but there were so many injuries and so many players moving up and down that we really have no clue what the lines would be like.

D pairs are probably going to be

Werenski Jones
Gavrikov Savard
Murray Nutivaara

I'd guess Elvis in net but it's up to Manny Legace and Torts.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL

I think we'll be healthy except for Josh Anderson. Although given this thing isn't going to get ramped up probably until mid-July at earliest, even he may be back.

Forwards lines are almost impossible to predict honestly, in large part because so many of our forwards were out for such a large portion of the year, and even when we were healthy, they weren't producing a ton and were often changed. But I'll try.

Nyquist - Dubois - Atkinson
Foligno - Jenner - Bjorkstrand
Texier - Wennberg - Bemstrom
Gerbe - Shore - Nash

Extras: Robinson, Stenlund, Matteau, Lilja (probably in that order). If Anderson is healthy, my guess is he slides in at 3RW and bumps Bemstrom down and Shore out.

The top six will for sure be somewhere in the lineup, and Texier and Wennberg are virtual locks, also, but exactly where is pretty tough to say. Foligno, Jenner, Texier and Wennberg can each play either LW or C and could all fit appropriately on either 2nd or 3rd line. Texier, Foligno and Nyquist each could appropriately be anywhere from 1-3 LW. Either Bjorkstrand or Atkinson could be on the first line. Nash and Shore are both centers, but Nash can move to the wing. (I'm sure Shore could, too, if needed, on the 4th line.) It's possible Nash could be C and Shore out with Robinson as 4RW. Also possible Bemstrom could be bumped out; he's a young, skilled guy but Torts may not trust him yet for "playoff hockey" and Robinson could fill in for him (or Anderson could, if Anderson's healthy). Also wouldn't stun me if the choice is to make Gerbe a scratch, either.

D seems to be easier:

Werenski - Jones
Gavrikov - Savard
Murray - Nutivaara

Extras: Kukan, Harrington, Peeke (probably in that order)

Werenski, Jones, Gavrikov, Savard and Murray are basically locks to be in the lineup, and pretty much in those slots. The sixth spot is probably between Kukan and Nutivaara. I give Nuti the edge, but if it's Kukan that wouldn't surprise, either.

Goalie... could be either. I'd go Elvis to start and I think Torts will, too, but wouldn't be a surprise at all if he chose Korpi.

ETA: For a tl;dr, basically what my guy majormajor said above haha.

Last edited:

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Korpisalo is the better goalie and gives the team a better chance to win hockey games.

Lets not forget that the overall team play was a HUGE part of the shutout streak Elvis had and that he looked like an average goalie (at best) other than for a very small period of time, when the break happened included.

Korpisalo has also paid his dues and NEVER looked as bad as Merzlikins has at times this year. Nobody can tell me the players are more confident playing behind Elvis.

Dubois/Bjorkstrand/Korpisalo will be given the respect they deserve from the hockey world and Canada very soon.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I like that you actually made a stab at guessing the forward lines. I'll dive into that part of the debate soon but damn it's complicated. We had so many forwards this year!

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Josh Anderson probably won't be back, it depends on when the series starts. I'd help you out with lines but there were so many injuries and so many players moving up and down that we really have no clue what the lines would be like.

D pairs are probably going to be

Werenski Jones
Gavrikov Savard
Murray Nutivaara

I'd guess Elvis in net but it's up to Manny Legace and Torts.

I think we'll be healthy except for Josh Anderson. Although given this thing isn't going to get ramped up probably until mid-July at earliest, even he may be back.

Forwards lines are almost impossible to predict honestly, in large part because so many of our forwards were out for such a large portion of the year, and even when we were healthy, they weren't producing a ton and were often changed. But I'll try.

Nyquist - Dubois - Atkinson
Foligno - Jenner - Bjorkstrand
Texier - Wennberg - Bemstrom
Gerbe - Shore - Nash

Extras: Robinson, Stenlund, Matteau, Lilja (probably in that order). If Anderson is healthy, my guess is he slides in at 3RW and bumps Bemstrom down and Shore out.

The top six will for sure be somewhere in the lineup, and Texier and Wennberg are virtual locks, also, but exactly where is pretty tough to say. Foligno, Jenner, Texier and Wennberg can each play either LW or C and could all fit appropriately on either 2nd or 3rd line. Texier, Foligno and Nyquist each could appropriately be anywhere from 1-3 LW. Either Bjorkstrand or Atkinson could be on the first line. Nash and Shore are both centers, but Nash can move to the wing. (I'm sure Shore could, too, if needed, on the 4th line.) It's possible Nash could be C and Shore out with Robinson as 4RW. Also possible Bemstrom could be bumped out; he's a young, skilled guy but Torts may not trust him yet for "playoff hockey" and Robinson could fill in for him (or Anderson could, if Anderson's healthy). Also wouldn't stun me if the choice is to make Gerbe a scratch, either.

D seems to be easier:

Werenski - Jones
Gavrikov - Savard
Murray - Nutivaara

Extras: Kukan, Harrington, Peeke (probably in that order)

Werenski, Jones, Gavrikov, Savard and Murray are basically locks to be in the lineup, and pretty much in those slots. The sixth spot is probably between Kukan and Nutivaara. I give Nuti the edge, but if it's Kukan that wouldn't surprise, either.

Goalie... could be either. I'd go Elvis to start and I think Torts will, too, but wouldn't be a surprise at all if he chose Korpi.

Thanks.
The questions on forward lines don't really help me, but I should be able to post something and change if required.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
The only way you don't give Korpisalo the nod is if he comes in looking horrible in the mini camp. He is your #1 goalie and should get the games if he comes in ready and well prepared. Elvis had that nice run (12-2-0), but was just as bad (1-7-8) in his other games. He is still the backup. Maybe next year it changes, but this year it should stay as it is.

Reactions: thebus88

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
The only way you don't give Korpisalo the nod is if he comes in looking horrible in the mini camp. He is your #1 goalie and should get the games if he comes in ready and well prepared. Elvis had that nice run (12-2-0), but was just as bad (1-7-8) in his other games. He is still the backup. Maybe next year it changes, but this year it should stay as it is.

I don’t have a personal preference other than I hope we don’t see both.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
I dunno. The last time we were involved in a series in which a team felt obliged to swap goaltenders partway through the opening round, that team went on to win the Cup.
It happens. They were also switching from a backup back to the starter, and Holtby was no slouch. I trust Torts to make the right decision whoever it is. We have 2 decent goalies. I will root for whoever is in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad