Jackets - Leafs best of 5 play-in

Status
Not open for further replies.

rotsbu

Feb 14, 2020
I voted CBJ in 5 in the Playoffs thread, but obviously had no clue the series would be the wild ride it is to this point. I'm normally the glass-is-half-full type and would love, love, love to be wrong but I have a hard time seeing the CBJ win tonight after the huge letdown the end of the previous game must have been. Will be watching and cheering the boys on nonetheless!

rotsbu

Feb 14, 2020
Game 4 still stings two days later. Having been born in NE Ohio, I have the "privilege" of being a long-suffering Cleveland sports fan by birth...at least most years we have OSU football being successful. It occurred to me that Game 4 in this series ranks up there with some of the most painful Cleveland/OSU losses in my lifetime:
1. The Drive (admittedly I was too young to directly remember this one)
2. 1998 OSU-MSU - a massive second half melt down prevented Coop's most talented team from getting to the BCS title game, where they would have handled either Tennessee or FSU
3. Jose Mesa blowing the save in the bottom of the 9th in Game 7 of the 1997 WS
4. Jordan over Ehlo

Reactions: Monstershockey

rotsbu

Feb 14, 2020
Color me surprised about Z and Murray.

Korpi deserves the start. Two soft goals vs one.

Embedded Tweets don't show up for me :(

Am I correct in inferring (1) Korpi to start and (2) both Z and Murray are in the line-up?

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I wonder when the last time a team changed goalies twice in the same series...5 or 7 game

I'm confused whether it's a good or bad thing

I call it a good situation to be in right now. Eventually it may be a bad thing but right now they both have their warts and still have a lot to prove.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I’m Not shocked and I’m fine with Korpisalo going back in but it is do or die. If either goalie looked soft a quick hook is coming tonight.

I’m concerned about Murray’s and Werenski’s effectiveness but I also don’t know the extent of their injuries. We clearly cannot afford to have 2 D playing at less than 90% IMO.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
its 99% on elvis. you can not let 3 goals in in 4 minutes. that should NEVER happen.
C'mon...that's not all on Elvis. Give your head a shake. Leafs played with a man advantage for 4+ minutes, CBJ missed two gimmes on EN opportunities and Werenski missed essentially the last two periods (one shift in 3rd, none in OT). They blew it. They...not Elvis. Team game and none of those goals were soft. The good news is they have options in net if needed. Go back to Korpi - he wasn't bad, just a change in momentum pull.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I’m Not shocked and I’m fine with Korpisalo going back in but it is do or die. If either goalie looked soft a quick hook is coming tonight.

I’m concerned about Murray’s and Werenski’s effectiveness but I also don’t know the extent of their injuries. We clearly cannot afford to have 2 D playing at less than 90% IMO.

If these guys go out of the game I agree it's a risk. But I'll take both of these guys at 80% over Harry. Sorry Harry!

Reactions: majormajor

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite

as you mentioned, it’s do or die. I’d rather die with our best D out there even if they aren’t completely healthy.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
A little bit surprised that he's going with Korpisalo.
Elvis is hurt according to Torts. Elvis also has a 1.96 gaa and .946 save percentage as a rookie in his first nhl playoff experience , not to mention that his ability to move the puck has led to 7 g by the cbj when he’s playing , and 2g in support when Korpi has been in net . Having said all that Korpi has been solid with a 2.05 gaa and .938 save percentage , we just miss his ability to transition puck which is big against a Toronto team that try’s to really push their transition , which makes them vulnerable to counterpunch

Reactions: Iron Balls McGinty

ThisIsMyAlibi

Fantilli&Werenski&Gaudreau&Laine&Johnson&Jiricek
Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
I'm not an Elvis hater like Bus is, and your stat may be accurate, but watch the 2nd and 3rd goals over again. No excuse. Korpi has one dreadful one against, but Elvis unraveled (along with the team) in game 4.
Yeah to be fair to Torts they are both mediocre goalies and mentally weak. You just never know what you're gonna get.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
The only goal I really faulted Merzlikins for was the third one. That looked like it just got under his pad. The first one was a close-range jam shot as we got outnumbered in the crease, the second one was a snipe by a skill guy wide open in the slot, and the one in OT he had no chance.

That said, I'm OK with putting Korpisalo back in. It's a do-or-die game, and the more experienced guy is less likely to be rattled. Plus, he's going to be fresher.

I'm more surprised about Werenski and Murray being back in the lineup. Werenski because all signs pointed to him not playing, which makes me wonder if they're taking a big risk here. Hoping he's OK as opposed to him ACTUALLY BEING OK. If we go down to five D early on because he's makes a go of it and can't continue, that's a disaster. As for Murray, well, he's always injured so finding out he's good to go is a surprise in and of itself.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus

Murray will be fine, he sat on a back to back which seems to be the mantra to manage his back issues . Zach could have an injury , but it’s not broke , and they must feel he’s not at risk to further injure , or they wouldn’t risk it . I’m guessing it’s a shoulder issue again with the mri being done . Besides , he scored what , 16g in the season he played with a torn shoulder .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad