Player Discussion Jack Studnicka

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Just for context in Krejci's final sting in Providence at age 22 he had;

7-21-28 in 25 GP = 1.12 ppg

Studnikca this year at 23:

9- 24 - 33 in 37 GP = .89 ppg

Krejci was better and younger. So stud aint gonna be krejci. Maybe he can be spooner

Reactions: Yeti34

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
The time to test this was at the beginning of the season. Unfortunately Cassidy hasn’t given him a real shot where he got enough games in a row with a line to actually get chemistry. It’s been the issue the past two years.

However at this point in the season it’s far too late to be just testing out a new 2nd line center who hasn’t had much experience in the NHL. Not only does that mess with the 2nd line, but it will mess with whatever line haula gets bumped to.

Studnicka should have been given 15 games at the start of the season after the preseason he had, but Cassidy didn’t pull the trigger. Now it’s too late.
Time to try it out was was the beginning of the season. (also should have been giving more tryouts of Providence guys). Not saying they'd make the difference, but might as well know we explored those options.

Team is hard on playoff mode, and I expect there to be little room for mistakes for younger players.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I like the point but speaking of context; (I honestly don't know just asking) who was Krejci playing with and who has Stud been playing with in Providence

I have no idea -- TBH -- so long ago and such a small sample.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I would have been for this earlier in the season. I’ve been a Studnicka supporter and thought he’d take a roster spot with the opportunity open. I think he needs some real NHL time though and not in a pivotal spot.

I look at Frederic’s early struggles in sort of “finding his place”, coming in as an agitator but being told to focus on the game instead. It’s taken him time, but he’s found his role and is finally consistently effective.

Studnicka needs that grind. An acclimation to the speed of the NHL game and someone on the team he can partner and forge chemistry with. Because as good as we’ve seen Frederic play on Coyle’s left, Studnicka has more natural skill, speed and scoring upside.

Time on the fourth line, lessons learned and comfort built. A critical scoring role is not the place for those lessons and that time.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
I would have been for this earlier in the season. I’ve been a Studnicka supporter and thought he’d take a roster spot with the opportunity open. I think he needs some real NHL time though and not in a pivotal spot.

I look at Frederic’s early struggles in sort of “finding his place”, coming in as an agitator but being told to focus on the game instead. It’s taken him time, but he’s found his role and is finally consistently effective.

Studnicka needs that grind. An acclimation to the speed of the NHL game and someone on the team he can partner and forge chemistry with. Because as good as we’ve seen Frederic play on Coyle’s left, Studnicka has more natural skill, speed and scoring upside.

Time on the fourth line, lessons learned and comfort built. A critical scoring role is not the place for those lessons and that time.
Frederic has been consistently effective for like 2 weeks. Lets have him string a few months together before we decide hes good for sure

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Frederic has been consistently effective for like 2 weeks. Lets have him string a few months together before we decide hes good for sure
This is fair. I still think I see a different player in these couple of weeks than I have since he started in Boston. Not a lucky streak, but a guy who has found his niche.

But you’re right. His game could go south. Even if I don’t believe it will.

Reactions: wintersej

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Effort is there. He's got skill and when he turns on the jets, he's very noticeable. But he gets manhandled along the wall and his on-puck strength is weak. I'm not sure what to think here... he had apparently added muscle over one of these recent off-seasons but I'm not seeing the gains translated to the ice.

Reactions: inactive user

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
He is a third line center if that. He has done absolutely nothing to merit a look at a top six or even top nine role. I have been trying to figure what is lacking in his game for a couple of years, and I think it is that he sees the ice very poorly. That accounts for the crushing hits and the hard time he has finding seams with all but his short passes.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
I mean Krejci was a special player.

Spooner didn't pan out.

If Stud ends up being a consistent 40-50 player, that's not awful.

Not saying he will, just that there's a lot between the spectrum of Spooner and Krejci.
Spooners career up until he was 24 was better than studnickas by a significant margin. And he had a 49 point season. Actually by the numbers he was a more productive player than debrusk has been while with the bruins and id say debrusk panned out fine as an nhlers. If studnicka was spooner id be happy. 2ish years of serviceable middle six production

Reactions: UConn126

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Not this year but maybe next - he looks like an NHL player who should be in a lineup somewhere to me

There’s a lot to like - pandemic hurt his development like a lot of players

Reactions: PlayMakers

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I don't see Studnicka as anything more than a third line center, which Ill gladly take, but to me that's his ceiling.
I want to see what he’s like with confidence- he’s finding his way

Marchand 1 point 20 games

Krejci no goals his first 2 zillion games

Like Frederic he showed hands & good decisions in Providence and that’s a high priority to me

I talked to a Buffalo scout when Jack was doing the rookie tourney there and their staff was very impressed with his 200 foot responsible game and decisions - they figured his floor was third line but they thought he thinks it well from there views to possibly play higher

I like him a lot so much I traded for him in SIM

You don’t score 7 shorties in the AHL at 21 or so on a first place team and not be good

Wishing the Selke GOAT a speedy very recovery but hoping Studnicka in lineup tonight and turns heads with a good game

Go Jack

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Some consistent time playing with some top talent is a good thing for his progression, I think. Bummer for tonight because I was hoping for a litmus test game here.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
I want to see what he’s like with confidence- he’s finding his way

Marchand 1 point 20 games

Krejci no goals his first 2 zillion games

Like Frederic he showed hands & good decisions in Providence and that’s a high priority to me

I talked to a Buffalo scout when Jack was doing the rookie tourney there and their staff was very impressed with his 200 foot responsible game and decisions - they figured his floor was third line but they thought he thinks it well from there views to possibly play higher

I like him a lot so much I traded for him in SIM

You don’t score 7 shorties in the AHL at 21 or so on a first place team and not be good

Wishing the Selke GOAT a speedy very recovery but hoping Studnicka in lineup tonight and turns heads with a good game

Go Jack
Great post but can I just add its go time for Jack. The time is now to show his stuff .Wish he would find more open areas on the ice .A 200 ft game is great I am not complaining there but he needs to be involved on score sheet more .Really pulling for the kid .

loosemoose

May 31, 2020
He just hasn't seized the opportunity and he has had many opportunities. Worse, I don't even know what he does out there. There's a major difference between him and Steen, as Steen drives to the net hard and plays with attitude. I think there's a very good chance Steen sticks as 4th liner next year while Studnicka seems like a long shot to me.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
I dont like him being a call up for a 4th line grinder role. I think the team would benefit more by calling up a grinder to play a grinder role. Someone like koppanen makes more sense with blidh and mcglaughlin on a checking line

Reactions: smack66

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
That line was a cluster. I feel after that first goal, that was it for them. I really am surprised they got 10 mins. They put them out there when they know something was going to happen. Of course a squirmish starts. Weather he’s a NHL guy or not, his playing time is tentative. He’s plays not to make a mistake. I dunno. They’re going to need him in the future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad