Player Discussion Jack Studnicka

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
I think he's still too thin, looks like a string bean out there.

I think size wise he's fine...he just doesn't have confidence.

He can't handle passes and there was a scenario in the 3rd period where he got the puck at our blueline and he thought doing a behind the look pass to McAvoy was a smart idea and he was no where to be found...Marchand eventually picked it up and skated with it.

He really needs to keep it simple...playing w/Marchand is be probably intimidating..but Stud needs to become a shooter...go to the open space and SHOOT THE DAMN PUCK!

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
So far he has shown that he is nowhere close to being a 2nd line center, probably another guy who could benefit from a change of coach/scenery.

Reactions: TCB and LSCII

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
He was really pushed around against Winnipeg. This showed again, that the guy has to put on some meat. Until then he has no chance to stay in the NHL.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I would like to see Studnicka get a peek at 2C after Bergeron gets back in the lineup.

Give him 3-5 games there to see what shakes.

He hasn't been bad at all filling in at 1C, but I actually think his skill set and creativity at 2C could elevate both Hall and Pasta's quality shot attempts.

Haula seems to respond well to being moved down the lineup. I wonder what being in the press box would do for him?

Interesting that I can't think of anywhere else to play Haula in the lineup right now. He doesn't have the jam for the 3rd or 4th line.

Let the two of them battle it out the rest of the way to see who gets in for the POs.
I agree completely and was going to say something similar. He’s don’t some good things, you NEED this kid to be part of your future. Reward him, build his confidence, give him some reps with 71 & 88. If nothing else you get a motivated Haula. And at best you build Studnicka’s confidence for next season.

Reactions: Bruins Uncensored

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I posted this in yesterday's GDT --- but it's probably more appropriate here.

Haula's current (and projected) production is not unusual for a 2nd liner on a team that wins a cup.

He currently has 27 points in 60 games for an average of .45 ppg --- there are 19 games left x .45 = 8.55 -- Projected season total = 35.5

The 5th and 6th leading scorers among forwards for the previous 9 full season cup winners were:

18-19 - St. Louis --- their 5th leading forward had 38 -- 6th had 36
17-18 - Washington --- their 5th leading forward had 38 -- 6th had 35
16-17 - Pittsburgh --- their 5th leading forward had 44 --- 6th had 37
15-16 - Pittsburgh --- their 5th leading forward had 40 --- 6th had 32
14 -15 - Chicago --- their 5th leading forward had 43 --- 6th had 37
13 - 14 - LA --- their 5th leading forward had 30 -- 6th had 29
12 - 13 *** shortened season
11 - 12 - LA --- their 5th leading forward had 21 -- 6th had 18
10 - 11 - Boston --- their 5th leading forward had 48 -- 6th had 41
09 - 10 - Chicago --- their 5th leading forward had 44 - 6th had 40

So, it's really not uncommon for second liners to have less than 40 points on a cup winning team --- and not just one, sometimes two.

Now, could/would Studnicka be/do better? Who knows.

But, it's pretty clear that cups are won regularly by teams that have 1-2 second liners scoring less than 40 points.

Last edited:

False Start

May 8, 2018
He can obviously skate better than most of our other centers. But his hockey IQ isn't quite there yet.

Compared to Bergeron, he's just forechecking with effort but it's not exactly efficient. I saw him move his feet very well but he wasn't impactful at all. As a result he's really just not in the right spot most of the time, offensively and defensively.

The talent is there, but every time he gets called up he's playing tentatively, he's surely a great AHL player (Where he is more positionally sound / confident) but it hasn't translated to the NHL.

It took Frederic like 80 games before he felt comfortable in his role. Players can develop, maybe there's too much pressure when we play him with Marchand. Maybe he overthinks it.

TSBruins13

Mar 24, 2011
Boston, MA
Did you watch him last night? I did. Kid blows around like a leaf in the wind. There was a sequence where he was on his knees three times in about a 15 second stretch because he couldn’t stay on his skates.

Hard pass.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
He just isn't that good.

Marchand put a pass right on his stick coming out of the zone yesterday and Stud fumbled it and it resulted in a chance the other way and a whole shift in the defensive zone.

On offense, he never creates off the cycle. He's ok on the rush but he's just not good enough to be a top-6 center in the NHL level.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Just for context in Krejci's final sting in Providence at age 22 he had;

7-21-28 in 25 GP = 1.12 ppg

Studnikca this year at 23:

9- 24 - 33 in 37 GP = .89 ppg

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
I posted this in yesterday's GDT --- but it's probably more appropriate here.

Haula's current (and projected) production is not unusual for a 2nd liner on a team that wins a cup.

He currently has 27 points in 60 games for an average of .45 ppg --- there are 19 games left x .45 = 8.55 -- Projected season total = 35.5

The 5th and 6th leading scorers among forwards for the previous 9 full season cup winners were:

18-19 - St. Louis --- their 5th leading forward had 38 -- 6th had 36
17-18 - Washington --- their 5th leading forward had 38 -- 6th had 35
16-17 - Pittsburgh --- their 5th leading forward had 44 --- 6th had 37
15-16 - Pittsburgh --- their 5th leading forward had 40 --- 6th had 32
14 -15 - Chicago --- their 5th leading forward had 43 --- 6th had 37
13 - 14 - LA --- their 5th leading forward had 30 -- 6th had 29
12 - 13 *** shortened season
11 - 12 - LA --- their 5th leading forward had 21 -- 6th had 18
10 - 11 - Boston --- their 5th leading forward had 48 -- 6th had 41
09 - 10 - Chicago --- their 5th leading forward had 44 - 6th had 40

So, it's really not uncommon for second liners to have less than 40 points on a cup winning team --- and not just one, sometimes two.

Now, could/would Studnicka be/do better? Who knows.

But, it's pretty clear that cups are won regularly by teams that have 1-2 second liners scoring less than 40 points.
Really, this is a great post and I truly appreciate the research you did.

Reactions: sarge88

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
The time to test this was at the beginning of the season. Unfortunately Cassidy hasn’t given him a real shot where he got enough games in a row with a line to actually get chemistry. It’s been the issue the past two years.

However at this point in the season it’s far too late to be just testing out a new 2nd line center who hasn’t had much experience in the NHL. Not only does that mess with the 2nd line, but it will mess with whatever line haula gets bumped to.

Studnicka should have been given 15 games at the start of the season after the preseason he had, but Cassidy didn’t pull the trigger. Now it’s too late.

Reactions: WhalerTurnedBruin55

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I mean I guess if you wanted you could take a peak at him at 2C, but he hasn't wowed me. He'll draw teams 2nd best defenders at the 2C role and IDK if he's ready for that level of talent night in and night out yet. I'm still a big fan of Studnicka and think he's a middle-6 center though. I'm also not sold on "can only play Center" like they seem to think. A lot of guys in the NHL were centers at one point in their hockey careers and many transition to other position. Why is it so hard for Studnicka to play RW?

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Absolutely not he completely blows the 2 games ive seen. So soft, so out of position. Cost boston a goal the other day and got crunched. Not ready. Maybe in a couple more years

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Really, this is a great post and I truly appreciate the research you did.
I agree, haula has been perfectly fine. People stack up the 2nd line centers across the division to haula and it looks bad, but i challenge people to stack up the atlantics 2nd line wingers and see how boston stacks up. Probably the best at both spots. Cant be elite everywhere

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
Just for context in Krejci's final sting in Providence at age 22 he had;

7-21-28 in 25 GP = 1.12 ppg

Studnikca this year at 23:

9- 24 - 33 in 37 GP = .89 ppg
I like the point but speaking of context; (I honestly don't know just asking) who was Krejci playing with and who has Stud been playing with in Providence

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad