Player Discussion: Jack Roslovic as the #2 Centre?

Will Roz end up as the #2C by the end of the season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I believe Roslovic will need some sheltering (at home when it's possible) early into the season. But I also believe he will be clearly the best option for second line center. He really impressed me late last season and in the playoffs..enough to believe that he can handle the defensive responsibilities of a NHL center. He has the speed, IQ and skills for that and seems like a very responsible player.

While Little and Lowry may still be better defensively the one thing Roslo is better at is utilizing skills of his winger. In a bit similar way that what Statsny did. You can see that already from his play as a winger. So if Jets plan to have some combination of their young skilled wingers (Laine, Ehlers, Connor) in the second line I honestly believe Roslo if by far the best option. Or course he will need to earn that spot in the camp and preseason but I think he will.

You could of course say that Roslo need to earn his way up in the lineup and maybe start as a third line center. I don't really care what line numbering Jets use (remember the Statsny line was called 3rd line) but if they want to get most out of the lineup then Little should play with more defensive players and Roslo with more skiller wingers. Roslo will get more out of those skilled wingers and Little should be better in a more defensive role.

This is my hope as well. Start out the year in training camp and preseason giving him every opportunity at 2c with talented wingers, then shelter him a bit if needed early in the year. I think he can run with it, and if he can we are set for years at C.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
We'll have to see how strong he is when he comes into camp. I don't doubt Roslo's talent to any extent at all. He'll need some experience for sure but at the same time I still think he isn't quite the physical presence he will be in a year or two. He may be there now but he still seemed to be playing "smaller" a fair bit last year. He didn't quite have his "man strength" yet and that may appear at any time so he may be ready. Certainly he's not afraid of the corners, which is awesome, but he'll be even better as he matures further. Defensively is where I have some doubts still but those may be unfounded as well. That said, I'm not writing off Little at any point soon, I fully expect a return to his norm.

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
I think if you choose to ignore the numerical labeling of lines, it's a lot easier to see Roslovic as a center. Who really cares if it's #2 or #3? I understand how good Scheifele and Wheeler are together, and I understand that they love to play together, but I'd set up the lines like this:

Petan-Scheifele-Laine
Connor-Little-Wheeler
Ehlers-Roslovic-Perreault
Copp-Lowry-Tanev

It's completely balanced, gives Roslovic the speed in Ehlers to work with along with the veteran presence of Perreault. People are going to hate Petan on the "first" line, but I think he'd really thrive with those two players. Little and Wheeler is a proven commodity as is Wheeler and Connor...makes sense. And, of course, you leave Lowry's line the eff alone.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I'd like to see the C ice time laid out like this to start :

Scheif - 20 -PP
Little - 14- PP
Lowry - 14 - PK
Ros - 12 - PP or PK

Give Roslovic enough ice time to make a difference, work him on the 2nd PP or use him for PK. Shelter him from tough matchups to start. Having him as a pker would be huge, he'd be dangerous with his speed. If he excels and someone struggles you can switch it around.

Put Frenchy with him to help drive play.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oilpeg

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
I'd like to see the C ice time laid out like this to start :

Scheif - 20 -PP
Little - 14- PP
Lowry - 14 - PK
Ros - 12 - PP or PK

I definitely don't like to see that as it will be bad for the team. But as PoMo is the coach, that is something that most probably will happen, an it's sad.

Having TOP-3 forwards (1a, 3a, 3b & 4 lines) is just brain dead when you could use either TOP-6 (1a, 1b, 3 & 4) or even TOP-9 (1a, 1b, 2 & 4) with all the talent on team.

Just for an example: Laine was voted to be the 4th best RW in NHL last season and it's most probable that he will be TOP-3 this season. Using a TOP-3 RW and TOP-2 goal scorer forward with the same criminally low TOI (and also subotimal line combinations) as last season is so dumb I have no words for that. Add Ehlers, Roslovic and Perreault into equation and that's just insanity to waste this kind of potential.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
So has Maurice stated that Roslovic will get a shot at C this season, I think someone posted such a quote but I’m not sure? If so, did he say that O’Roslovic would start the season at C, or just that he’d get a look at some point? If he didn’t explicitly say Roslovic would start the season at C I think any discussions of him overtaking the 2C positions are really premature, as it may just mean he’ll get a look at C in a game or two.

Easternbull

Nov 18, 2016
Very little nhl experience with no experience at centre at all in nhl. Maurice will not put him on a line with arguably the 2 worst defensive forwards in the nhl. Sheifele started on 3rd line of coarse roslovic won't start on 2nd line. Little is far from finished and will be the centre on the 2nd line if Maurice decides not to split ehlers and Laine.

This is complete and utter bullshit! Laine is probably one of the worst forcheckers and absolutely sucks at creating turnovers, but he has been very good at backchecking and check out the his stats if you don't beleive me. Little is finished unless he is paired with Wheeler and you know it!

Rolso would be a perfect fit if Pomo is unwilling to split scheif from wheels, but I could swap ehlers for frenchie in that line..

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
BLitts has only had one 60 point season and I am sure that was fueled by a healthy dose of PP1 time. Anything nearing 50 would be very solid for a 2nd line 2nd PP unit centre IMO.

I am not selling Jack short but he would need injuries to get his shot at 2nd line centre. Honestly I would be more than happy if he centered any line in the top 9 because they should all be pretty stacked. I think we may be getting too fixated on labels.....as long as we have 3 skilled lines in our top 9 we will be pretty set.

Agree with the bolded.

I think you are selling Little a little short. He had 64 pts in '14 - playing as the 1C. He was on a 60 pt pace in each of the next 3 seasons despite a gradually diminishing role as Scheifele worked his way in.
'1464
'1561
'1660
'1765
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
In '17 he was clearly the 2C, but was still on a 65 pt pace.

50 pts is pretty good for a 2C, but how many 2Cs have linemates like Ehlers and Laine? Still, I'd be happy to get 50 pts from Little this year. I don't think Roslovic is ready to do that.

Reactions: ps241

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Agree with the bolded.

I think you are selling Little a little short. He had 64 pts in '14 - playing as the 1C. He was on a 60 pt pace in each of the next 3 seasons despite a gradually diminishing role as Scheifele worked his way in.
'1464
'1561
'1660
'1765
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
In '17 he was clearly the 2C, but was still on a 65 pt pace.

50 pts is pretty good for a 2C, but how many 2Cs have linemates like Ehlers and Laine? Still, I'd be happy to get 50 pts from Little this year. I don't think Roslovic is ready to do that.

good post

I am a Little fan despite the fact he was under attack more than normal from some of our fan base last year.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
I'm counting on Roslo to produce around 45+.
Thats my dream.
But most likely less than that.

If Little can be around 50 points and Schiefele a full season at 80+ points.
Lowry a full season of 30+ points.

Thats solid productions from the top 4 centers.

A combination of Jets middle (line 2 & 3) centers getting 95+ points combine would ve very nice.

Counting on Roslo to break out and Little to bounce back.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I'd be intrigued by

Ehlers-Scheif-Laine
Connor-Roslovic-Wheeeler
Perreault-Little-Veselainen
Tanev-Lowry-Copp

To start in Finland

Roslovic and Connor are good two way players. Draws are the big question mark, but Wheeler might take a few as a leader.

Two defensive lines, one taking faceoffs on the right side, one on the left. Scheifele gets offensive zone, primarily.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I would love to see something like this:

Laine-Scheif-Wheeler
Connor-Roslovic-Ehlers
Perreault-Little-Veselainen
Tanev-Lowry-Copp
This is exactly the starting lineup I would like to see. Petan and Dano become your 13 and 14 forwards.

In a perfect world Niku is given an opportunity on the 2nd pairing with Buff and we run a backend of:

Morrissey-Trouba
Niku-Buff
Kuli-Myers
Morrow

Poolman is still waiver exempt and becomes your 1st call up.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
If Roslovic is effective at #2/3 C and Vesalainen is good enough to beat out Petan and Dano, the Jets are going to have a fearsome team.

Just drooling, we would be soo dominant!

This is exactly the starting lineup I would like to see. Petan and Dano become your 13 and 14 forwards.

In a perfect world Niku is given an opportunity on the 2nd pairing with Buff and we run a backend of:

Morrissey-Trouba
Niku-Buff
Kuli-Myers
Morrow

Poolman is still waiver exempt and becomes your 1st call up.

I am all for giving Niku a chance, I think he is good enough, especially with a seasoned vet like Buff at his side.

Reactions: Halberdier

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Just drooling, we would be soo dominant!

I am all for giving Niku a chance, I think he is good enough, especially with a seasoned vet like Buff at his side.

Yes, yes and yes to all these ideas. I hope Maurice gives them all a real good look in camp and in exhibition games. We have several players that are likely right on the cusp, let’s see which ones step up and shine.
I have no problem adding more young talent to the tram if they are ready.

Saidin

Mar 18, 2015
Most recent thread I could find.

Does anyone here think that Roslovic this year could be our Point/Barzel? Does he have it in him?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Most recent thread I could find.

Does anyone here think that Roslovic this year could be our Point/Barzel? Does he have it in him?

Direct comparisons of stats are difficult because of the different paths to the NHL. That said, I think that is a little optimistic but not impossible. If he could produce at 75% of Barzal last year he would have 63 pts. :thumbu: Or similar to Point the year before (D+3 for each) would be 48 pts, 21 goals. I'd be happy with that, or close to it with him playing 3C. Ready for 2C the next year.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I think you have to also look at position on team. There is no way Roslo produces as much as Barzal. Barzal was not on an offensive juggernaut so had more opportunities. Barzal could make the first pp unit. With out depth I don't see room for Roslo there. I don't see room for Barzal there either if he was a Jet. Who does he beat out? Wheeler, Shief, Buff, Laine, maybe at last spot. Offense still goes through Laine. So PP2? But does that unit get as much opportunity as pp1?
Roslo will not get the same kind of playing time, will not put in the same roles so can not be expected to produce the same results even if he is equal in talent and play.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Nylander could definitely solve our 2C problem. The only issue is we would have to send Trouba the other way making the Leafs stronger.

Nylander is a great playmaker though. Skates well enough to keep up with Ehlers and see's the ice well enough to make solid passes to Laine. He could be our solution in between those two.

Then comes the next questions of whether either would sign long term with the teams they are traded too.

Reactions: DRW204

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
What about
WILLIAM NYLANDER

He's no Jack Roslovic

:laugh: So ... what about William Nylander? What are you suggesting?

Seriously, Nylander has not shown that he can be a top 6 C in the NHL. But his previous experience at C was pretty positive. Leafs appeared to be grooming him to be 1 or 2 C until they got first AM and then Tavares.

Look particularly at his D+2 season, a season when most Canadian kids would still be playing in the CHL. He scored 1.18 ppg in the AHL and I believe that was all at C. In Roslovic's D+2, also playing in the AHL he scored .74 ppg.

It would be a bit risky to pay a high price to get Nylander to play 2C but I don't think it would be an unreasonable gamble.

He is not looking to be easy to sign in TO. With Trouba's contract negotiating history the gambles might be about equal if we did Trouba for Nylander, 1 for 1. Trouba is under team control for 2 more years, Nylander for 4. We need a future 2C. Leafs need a 1RHD.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad