Player Discussion: Jack Roslovic as the #2 Centre?

Will Roz end up as the #2C by the end of the season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
If you asked me , "will Roslovic deserve to play 2C before end of season?", my answer would have been yes.

Will PoMo give him a solid shot by end of season to take 2C and keep it, I'm hedging on no. Gut feeling. Final answer.

Why would you think Pomo wouldn’t give opportunity to a young player? Half of the top 6 was 21 and under last season.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Very little nhl experience with no experience at centre at all in nhl. Maurice will not put him on a line with arguably the 2 worst defensive forwards in the nhl. Sheifele started on 3rd line of coarse roslovic won't start on 2nd line. Little is far from finished and will be the centre on the 2nd line if Maurice decides not to split ehlers and Laine.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
If he'd have gotten a sniff of playing centre at the NHL level last year, maybe.

He ain't bumping' Little this season. It took an injury to Little for Scheifele to get the #1 slot.

The only way Roslovic get that opportunity for #2 is if the same thing happens.

Right now it's still questionable if he even gets the #4 spot. It appears that way, but it's far from written in stone.

Voted no.

Last edited:

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Why would you think Pomo wouldn’t give opportunity to a young player? Half of the top 6 was 21 and under last season.

Age is not the the deciding factor here, at all really. It's the experience. Roslovic is not yet even a rookie as a NHL level centerman.

If you think about it, Laine got his opportunity on his rookie season when Little unfortunately injured in the first game. That lead to rearranging the lineup pretty soon so Laine ended up with Scheifele, and the rest was history. For sure Laine was an exceptional talent and would have made his way into TOP-6 no matter what, but in fact he made it into the first line to play with Scheifele by accident.

Last season Perreault injured, and that was the reason Connor got his chance, and just like Laine a year ago, he was able to use that. Additionally Ehlers was having a really bad single game on the first line, and that was how CSW and infamous ELL were formed.

Also Roslovic got his (winger) opportunity last season due to injuries only.

Barring for an injury of Scheifele or Little, I am not that hopeful to see Roslovic as a 2nd line center, and that's sad.

I am not saying PoMo is a bad coach. He just seems to need an injury to be able to make the right decisions. ;-)

Ps. as an eternal optimist I voted Yes, but I actually think that won't happen, unfortunately.

Edit: thanks @Arthur Fonzarelli , I didn't think that also Scheifele got his #1 spot due to injury by Little. But that pretty much tells the same story that was also true for Laine, Connor and Roslovic.

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
I think the answer is yes.

It's going to be hard to keep this guy down on the depth chart. Everyone seems to hang their hat on the notion that PoMo has a "soft spot for vets". I've honestly never once seen this put into action. Maurice has always rewarded hard work, and getting on pucks.

Rosie does both well, and maybe better than most on the team. This kid is still growing too. Thinking we'll be happy with Rosie this season

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I think Little will bounce back, he will be number two and score over 20 goals. Roslo playing third line with Connor or Perreault and Petan should allow him to thrive vs easier matchups. Him and Connor should be paired imo.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Little is better in dzone, let him deal with tougher matchups so Roslo can thrive.
Little is not done yet offensively either.
I think it was just an off year.
That would be impressive if Roslovic could thrive...are we sure we have seen enough to make that prediction?
All kidding aside lot of folks are dismissive of Little’s capabilities he’ll rebound

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Little is not done yet offensively either.
I think it was just an off year.
That would be impressive if Roslovic could thrive...are we sure we have seen enough to make that prediction?
All kidding aside lot of folks are dismissive of Little’s capabilities he’ll rebound
I have no doubt he will rebound. Also, Roslo at centre is great because throughout the year it gives us so many line combos. Connor Roslo Laine sounds fun.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Very little nhl experience with no experience at centre at all in nhl. Maurice will not put him on a line with arguably the 2 worst defensive forwards in the nhl. Sheifele started on 3rd line of coarse roslovic won't start on 2nd line. Little is far from finished and will be the centre on the 2nd line if Maurice decides not to split ehlers and Laine.

Kyle Connor had less NHL experience than Roslovic, when he was recalled from the Moose, and placed on the 1st line.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Kyle Connor had less NHL experience than Roslovic, when he was recalled from the Moose, and placed on the 1st line.

Kyle made the most of his time when given the opportunity on the top line.
Maurice moves guys around and provides opportunity (especially the young guys) -it wouldn't surprise me to see Jack take advantage of those opportunities.
I want to see him centering the 2nd line by Xmas. I want to see Little making that decision difficult for Maurice.
In other words, I want to see a 2nd lines A/B

Nickel eye Heel hers

Happy thoughts
Feb 12, 2016
granola island, BC
Sorry I'm late to respond. I slept in :D
I think a few other posters have covered my reasoning.
PoMO likes his veterans and I can't see him placing a young player like Roslovic between Ehlers and Laine who are also young and are still working on their defensive side of game. Perhaps if they separated the wingers and placed a veteran to the side of Roslovic it would be an option. I think PoMO felt he could trust a player like Stasney or Little with the young guns due to his experience and more complete game.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Don't discount the possibility that Roslo and Little play on the same line. They have good chemistry and both can play C and RW. That would allow Little to mentor Roslo defensively and for there to be a smooth transition over time. It would also allow Petan to compete for a 3C spot, with talented wingers on his line.

Last edited:

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
But is he skating though??????
Haha.
I'll tell you what he's not doing--bulking up to get stronger.

"I’m not looking to put on 20, 25 pounds and slowing down and trying to go hit people. That’s not really what I’m best at. I’m worried about getting faster, getting quicker and the strength will come along."
Physical education

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Playing with Scheifele and wheeler roslovic would be playing with arguably the 2 worst defensive forward in hockey. Roslovic has zero experience at centre. Big diffrence

Last edited:

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Haha.
I'll tell you what he's not doing--bulking up to get stronger.

"I’m not looking to put on 20, 25 pounds and slowing down and trying to go hit people. That’s not really what I’m best at. I’m worried about getting faster, getting quicker and the strength will come along."
Physical education

Good read, thanks. Seems like The Scheifele Effect has started to take a solid hold on the Baby Jets, spreading the values of hockey nerd-dom far and wide.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Don't discount the possibility that Roslo and Little play on the same line. They have good chemistry and both can play C and RW. That would allow Little to mentor Roslo defensively and for there to be a smooth transition over time. It would also allow Petan to compete for a 3C spot, with talented wingers on his line.

I think they do fit well together so it could certainly be a possibility.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->