Player Discussion: Jack Roslovic as the #2 Centre?

Will Roz end up as the #2C by the end of the season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
All I can tell you is this. Laine and ehlers are special offensive players and trainwrecks defensively and because of that Little is being blamed for way to much with what went wrong with that line. If roslovic starts at centre this year regardless of who his wingers are roslovic will be getting the 4th most toi of our centers.

Let me guess. You’re a huge fan of players from Atlanta like Enström and Little, and they can do no wrong in your eyes? The new players are worst in league in your eyes and are only dragging the Atlanta players down. You prefer Little to Scheifele and were really sad when Kane got traded. Did I get this right?

Reactions: Nate070

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
So Roslo can't crack the Jets lineup until half way through the season and is a healthy scratch at times during the PO's but somehow he becomes our #2 C, okay then!:facepalm:

It took an injury to Perreault to release a 30 goal rookie last year.

Don't underestimate the Jets depth from last year.

Reactions: Jets4Life

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Let me guess. You’re a huge fan of players from Atlanta like Enström and Little, and they can do no wrong in your eyes? The new players are worst in league in your eyes and are only dragging the Atlanta players down. You prefer Little to Scheifele and were really sad when Kane got traded. Did I get this right?
I am a big roslovic fan. Think he will be a key player for the Jets a very long time. Lowry will get alot of minutes he is the 3rd line centre based on toi. So Maurice will decide who played centre on 2nd line. A kid with no nhl experience at centre or a 30 year old they re-uped last year who has played against the top centers in the league for a decade. And which one it the two will play on 4th line. This isn't a tough decision for Maurice

Reactions: buggs

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
I think the question is really does Roslo get a chance to move up the line up when there are injuries and does he run away with it a la Kyle Connor

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
That's the exciting thing about young players - they have a tendency to break doors down when the timing is right, and their experience level, talent, and physical maturity all coalesce. See: Kyle Connor.

Agreed

Roslovic has an interesting combination of speed, skill, and tenacity to hold his own in multiple situations. He can play the dog on a bone game with Perreault and other line mates and conversely I have no problem visualizing him meshing with the most skilled players on a top six scoring line. Your example of Connor is great.....also how about Mark Scheifele, BLitts goes down with an injury and Scheifele slots up and becomes one of the top scoring players in the NHL over the next 80 games as a high end #1 centre.

Not sure when Jacks version of a breakout happens but I would not bet against it. He has all the high end tools along with the fierce puck pursuit to to tilt the ice.

Last edited:

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
So Roslo can't crack the Jets lineup until half way through the season and is a healthy scratch at times during the PO's but somehow he becomes our #2 C, okay then!:facepalm:
I agree Sip
Think the expectations are a bit extreme on this one.
#2 center??? Hmmmm guess we’ll find out soon enough tho.

Reactions: sipowicz

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I agree Sip
Think the expectations are a bit extreme on this one.
#2 center??? Hmmmm guess we’ll find out soon enough tho.

Everyone says but, but, but Sip what about Connor, look at how he blossomed and yeah kids Roslo ain't Connor, skill wise and speed wise not even close!

Reactions: Skidooboy

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
I am a big roslovic fan. Think he will be a key player for the Jets a very long time. Lowry will get alot of minutes he is the 3rd line centre based on toi. So Maurice will decide who played centre on 2nd line. A kid with no nhl experience at centre or a 30 year old they re-uped last year who has played against the top centers in the league for a decade. And which one it the two will play on 4th line. This isn't a tough decision for Maurice

I think you're a Little biased...

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Everyone says but, but, but Sip what about Connor, look at how he blossomed and yeah kids Roslo ain't Connor, skill wise and speed wise not even close!
The thing you're forgetting is that Roslo has always performed well with very skilled linemates. Thats his forte. Maybe he doesn't start there this year, but it won't take all that long for him to slot up into the 2C if Little can't do anything and if they don't experiment with Wheels on the 2nd line either as a wing or C

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Agreed

Roslovic has an interesting combination of speed, skill, and tenacity to hold his own in multiple situations. He can play the dog on a bone game with Perreault and other line mates and conversely I have no problem visualizing him meshing with the most skilled players on a top six scoring line. Your example of Connor is great.....also how about Mark Scheifele, BLitts goes down with an injury and Scheifele slots up and becomes one of the top scoring players in the NHL over the next 80 games as a high end #1 centre.

Not sure when Jacks version of a breakout happens but I would not bet against it. He has all the high end tools along with the fierce puck pursuit to to tilt the ice.
Fully agree with this thinking. Most young star players find a way to quickly make that big jump once things start falling in place for them. I could see Rosie being ready for that jump, and come this time next off season no one gives it a second though penciling him in at #2 behind Scheifele.

Reactions: ps241

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

Oh nooo! Don’t you try and claim him as one of ours! He’s one of your people. ;) :sarcasm:

Reactions: Laine Fan

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto

Oh nooo! Don’t you try and claim him as one of ours! He’s one of your people. ;) :sarcasm:

This is the problem with labeling and pigeon-holing, especially when the fanbase is in constant flux. I couldn't give two ***** what era the players come from, or even whether they were drafted by this franchise: I just want to win.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
The deal with Roslovic is he has not played any centre in the NHL. He was impressive in his debut and I am stoked to see what he can do this year.

However, going from bottom 6 winger to 2 centre is a huge huge leap.

If he settles in as a centre on the bottom six I would be quite happy with that.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I voted no because it seems a bit of a stretch to me that having never played centre in the NHL, he’d be playing 2C in his first season at centre.

Also, many many young players suffer a sophmore slump and I am expecting Roslovic to take a bit of a step back this season then improving again

He would have needed to have a better rookie season to be eligible for a sophomore slump. :laugh: So I don't expect a step back. But I agree that going right to 2C is expecting a little much. I expect him to play C on the non shutdown 3rd line.

I don't think Little will be nearly that easily pushed aside.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
I think Little will start the season at 2C, and Roslo will gradually displace him. Maybe 2a/2b by Christmas.

Roslo has all the tools to be a quality C in the NHL and played the position in the A. As long as we ease him into it and give him the time and the linemates to succeed, I'm sure he will.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I think Little will start the season at 2C, and Roslo will gradually displace him. Maybe 2a/2b by Christmas.

Roslo has all the tools to be a quality C in the NHL and played the position in the A. As long as we ease him into it and give him the time and the linemates to succeed, I'm sure he will.

Why should Roslovic be given the linemates to succeed when Laine hasn't? ;)

Reactions: Ippenator

Nickel eye Heel hers

Happy thoughts
Feb 12, 2016
granola island, BC
the fun of lines:
WPG
I appreciate all the information that you share with us Garret, but I'm going to be honest, as a dumb homer, my first thought after seeing this graph was that I probably needed to defragment my hard drive.
Then I slowly began to look at the graph.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014

Get what you are saying, but him not playing had little to do with his skill or ability, and when he did play, he played very well.

He has the correct combination of skill and iq, just needs to find consistency through experience. If not this season, next imo.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Get what you are saying, but him not playing had little to do with his skill or ability, and when he did play, he played very well.

He has the correct combination of skill and iq, just needs to find consistency through experience. If not this season, next imo.

This is why I hope they start him soon and often as 2c with good linemates. Start in preseason, continue on into the early season and give him an honest shot. We need someone to step into that role.

I think that Little could easily have a bounce back season and be a very good 2C, but internal competition is a very good thing :)

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
This is why I hope they start him soon and often as 2c with good linemates. Start in preseason, continue on into the early season and give him an honest shot. We need someone to step into that role.

I think that Little could easily have a bounce back season and be a very good 2C, but internal competition is a very good thing :)

Agree.

I didn’t think Little had as awful a season as others saw, and have no issues with him as a 2c, but if we have cup aspirations, we would need more from that spot.

Roslovic is our best option to provide that, and the sooner we can get him fully developed in the spot the better.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Agree.

I didn’t think Little had as awful a season as others saw, and have no issues with him as a 2c, but if we have cup aspirations, we would need more from that spot.

Roslovic is our best option to provide that, and the sooner we can get him fully developed in the spot the better.

Yes, that is really where I stand with Roslovic as well, throw him in early and give him every chance to succeed. He could be our most pivotal player this year as far as growth and contribution go.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
remember last year at this time how petan and dano were getting pencilled in all over the place around here on the top 2 lines and at the very least would be on the 3rd line cause lowry and his line would get pushed down to the 4th line. didn't work out that way did it 1 was a pb player and the other an ahler all year. lowry and his line will be asked to play big minutes again this year meaning our 2nd line centre will get almost double the minutes of our 4th line centre. this is a fact just like the last 2 years. there is zero chance a player with no experience at centre will play over 15 minutes a game with 2 defensively challenged players while little sits on the 4th line playing 7 or 8 or 9 minutes a game. this will not happen this year or next more then likely. he will start on 4th line and stay there for a year or 2 till he gets the experience he needs to move up the line up. playing with Perreault on the 4th line is a positive and easier match ups is a good thing if they even decide to play him at centre this year.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
I agree with ffh here. The Copp Lowry Tavev line can match up and hem opposing teams' top lines in their own end for an entire shift. They'll see significant playing time (14-15 minutes per game) and based on Time on ice will be our 3rd line. The "4th line" will get all o-zone starts and will be a matchup nightmare for opposing teams but there are only so many minutes to go around. There's going to be very talented players on this line that should probably slot into a top 6. Without injuries one of Connor, Perrault, Ehlers or Laine will be on the "4th line" (Wheels is a lock for top 6) along with Roslovic and likely Petan/Dano. To let that sink in a bit if you have Perrault in the top 6 that means that there will be a 30 goal scorer on our 4th line when we're healthy.

The Jets could run X Scheif Wheels for 18 minutes and then the other 3 lines for 14 minutes each. In this scenario which line is the "second line"? Perreault Little Ehlers or Laine Roslovic Petan? The 2 rookies makes it feel like Laine's line is the 4th line but with a 50 goal scorer getting fed by Petan they could outscore the Perreault Little Ehlers line.

Reactions: Scheifelaine

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I agree with ffh here. The Copp Lowry Tavev line can match up and hem opposing teams' top lines in their own end for an entire shift. They'll see significant playing time (14-15 minutes per game) and based on Time on ice will be our 3rd line. The "4th line" will get all o-zone starts and will be a matchup nightmare for opposing teams but there are only so many minutes to go around. There's going to be very talented players on this line that should probably slot into a top 6. Without injuries one of Connor, Perrault, Ehlers or Laine will be on the "4th line" (Wheels is a lock for top 6) along with Roslovic and likely Petan/Dano. To let that sink in a bit if you have Perrault in the top 6 that means that there will be a 30 goal scorer on our 4th line when we're healthy.

The Jets could run X Scheif Wheels for 18 minutes and then the other 3 lines for 14 minutes each. In this scenario which line is the "second line"? Perreault Little Ehlers or Laine Roslovic Petan? The 2 rookies makes it feel like Laine's line is the 4th line but with a 50 goal scorer getting fed by Petan they could outscore the Perreault Little Ehlers line.

In this scenario, it sure makes for a killer lineup. I'll say it again, we are in a great spot if we can figure out the most productive line combinations.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
At the start of the playoffs I suggested to sit Perreault (who had a cold stretch of like 30 games or so without points) and play Roslovic instead on the third line. People told me I’m crazy. Now you are saying Roslovic would jump straight into a 2C role, demoting Little, with 0 NHL games as center. When even Scheifele had to work his way up. Hmm...

Reactions: sipowicz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad