Jack Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
I'm suprised either one of those kids returned for the second season. Both of them had issues with the team last year. Stuart was told to stay home a little longer at Xmass break when they went to play their after Xmass Tournament. Cahills dad was complaining all year long that he wasn't happy with the program. I think both players were bad picks and shouldn't have been there in the first place. They must have thought things would be differant with a new coach. Anyways, they have a long list of players that will gladly take their place if they decide to fill those two spots. They were both good kids and smart too. But hockey wise, they are easy to replace.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
NYRangers said:
Jack Johnson is like Leetch, size and offensive p;lay wise. He just hits like a train too. Or so I've heard.

Isn't he 6'1''? When I was 17 I was 6' tall now I'm 6'2'' (age 20). I went from 155 to 175 in the last three years with moderate gym work (2x per week).

Johnson will probably top off at at least 6-2 and 215lbs. Not Leetch/Chelios size, but not Pronger either... more Jovocop or Stevens.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
mazmin said:
Isn't he 6'1''? When I was 17 I was 6' tall now I'm 6'2'' (age 20). I went from 155 to 175 in the last three years with moderate gym work (2x per week).

Johnson will probably top off at at least 6-2 and 215lbs. Not Leetch/Chelios size, but not Pronger either... more Jovocop or Stevens.

A young Scott Stevens is probably the best description for Johnson.

Hab Fan

Nov 2, 2004
Postman said:
Ok then... let me ask you this...

You say things are better left to the proper authorities. Does that imply that the proper authorities are already involved and that this may be an issue that will soon come to the forefront and you will no longer have to be so secretive about it?
Fair question. The best I can say is this: there were others involved with the Kemp DIU that the program is protecting and twice a player was involved with a minor. That also has been covered up. The point I heard from parents was that they seemed to be upset with the program protecting a few at the expense of others. This was not an ice time issue but of course it always plays a part. I hope this helps and I believe that it appears some good kids have been hurt at the expense of some "marginal" kids (not talking hockey wise). I think the idea of the program is great, wish Canada had one, but it appears the coaches and their level of experience are lacking. Ever since Eaves left it's been musical chairs with the coaches.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
mazmin said:

Damn, that **** is eerie. You just described me to a tee. No joke. :amazed:

Chuckalinsky

May 1, 2004
I was going to start a new thread comparing these guys. But I figured I might as well just do it here. Looking back over the last two drafts, how does Johnson compare to other elite defensemen like Barker, Phaneuf, Suter. Is he the best of the bunch? I think Barker would lead the way offensively but I really don't know much about JOhnson at this point. :dunno:

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
Hab Fan said:
Fair question. The best I can say is this: there were others involved with the Kemp DIU that the program is protecting and twice a player was involved with a minor. That also has been covered up. The point I heard from parents was that they seemed to be upset with the program protecting a few at the expense of others. This was not an ice time issue but of course it always plays a part. I hope this helps and I believe that it appears some good kids have been hurt at the expense of some "marginal" kids (not talking hockey wise). I think the idea of the program is great, wish Canada had one, but it appears the coaches and their level of experience are lacking. Ever since Eaves left it's been musical chairs with the coaches.
I see. Well, I appreciate the info. Sure sucks as a fan to hear about this type of **** happening. All these kids should get equal treatment, star player or not.
Chuckalinsky said:
I was going to start a new thread comparing these guys. But I figured I might as well just do it here. Looking back over the last two drafts, how does Johnson compare to other elite defensemen like Barker, Phaneuf, Suter. Is he the best of the bunch? I think Barker would lead the way offensively but I really don't know much about JOhnson at this point. :dunno:
I haven't seen Barker or Phaneuf enough to comment on them (haven't seen Barker at all, infact).

However, I do think Johnson is better than Suter. Suter is definitely more solid and better defensively, but Johnson is a better skater, has better offensive instincts/skills, and is a much more fierce, more physical player.

Just for kicks, Suter had 0.5 pgg in his draft year for the u-18 team. Johnson on the other hand is at a point per game pace this year for the u-18 team.

It seems from what I've seen of Phaneuf and heard of Barker, Johnson brings the most well-rounded game of them all. He does absolutely everything you could want from a defenseman. But again, I'm speaking on limited viewing of Phaneuf and 2nd-hand info on Barker.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I'm joining in on this thread rather late, but do any of you see a scenario in which Johnson would go ahead of Crosby?

I mean, to me it seems fairly feasible. Moreso than Malkin going ahead of Ovechkin last year, because a team may put a higher priority on Johnson's position.

Crosby's PPG has taken a slight dip compared to last year, and he's had a couple of minor injuries. Nothing that's going to affect him long-term, but it seems as though his stock isn't quite as high as it once was. If Johnson dominates the WJCs, or plays even comparably to Crosby at that tournament, I'm wondering if that would vault him past Crosby.

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
Jacobv2 said:
I'm joining in on this thread rather late, but do any of you see a scenario in which Johnson would go ahead of Crosby?

I mean, to me it seems fairly feasible. Moreso than Malkin going ahead of Ovechkin last year, because a team may put a higher priority on Johnson's position. Johnson would probably have to play like a maniac for the rest of the season though, I think.

Not possible. If the team with the first pick wanted Johnson instead they would trade to #2 or something. It'd be wasting the picks value.

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
Jacobv2 said:

I mean, to me it seems fairly feasible. Moreso than Malkin going ahead of Ovechkin last year, because a team may put a higher priority on Johnson's position.

Crosby's PPG has taken a slight dip compared to last year, and he's had a couple of minor injuries. Nothing that's going to affect him long-term, but it seems as though his stock isn't quite as high as it once was. If Johnson dominates the WJCs, or plays even comparably to Crosby at that tournament, I'm wondering if that would vault him past Crosby.
No way, IMO. Crosby's PPG may have taken a slight dip, but by all accounts, he's become a much more well-rounded player.

I don't buy the next Gretzky hype. There will never be a next Gretzky, IMO.

However, with that said, Crosby is on another level than guys like Ovechkin, Brule, etc. I think people tend to forget how good he is when they compare those guys to him. They just don't have the on-ice intelligence he has.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
NYRangers said:
Not possible. If the team with the first pick wanted Johnson instead they would trade to #2 or something. It'd be wasting the picks value.

i agree under that scenario the team with the top pick would trade down

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
a few notes on johnson from the latest THN (nov 30th issue)

in the section on the new CSS and ISS draft rankings it mentions that he has jumped from #6 to #2 in the ISS december rankings...ISS says "He's the real deal. He plays a two-way Scott Stevens-type game. He hits hard and he's one of the best skaters available in the draft"

(not to far off what has been said in this thread)...

there is also a 'prospect watch' feature on him...over the summer johnson and crosby got together and decided that their goal was to go 1-2 overall in the draft (crosby & johnson went to SSM together)...

on big hits, johnson said "My father brought me up saying "When you hit someone, hit him to injure him, hit to hurt'...I get alot of enjoyment out of laying someone out at center ice"

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
rt said:
Damn, that **** is eerie. You just described me to a tee. No joke. :amazed:

And we both follow the Yotes fans (though I'm not the most loyal fan). Are we in the twilight zone?

Back to Jack Johnson... I wasn't feeling the hype until I saw all those freaky Johnson avatars. Man, he looks like this guy Dave who was my D-partner 4 years ago. So strange.

Aaaaanyway, I want to see Johnson on the WJC team so you Johnson fanatics better make sure he's there...somehow.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
NYR469 said:
on big hits, johnson said "My father brought me up saying "When you hit someone, hit him to injure him, hit to hurt'...I get alot of enjoyment out of laying someone out at center ice"

Wow that is disgusting

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
E = CH² said:
Wow that is disgusting
Don't you want him on your team?

BTW, Johnson's stats so far for this season:

GP 14 - G 3 - A 12 - P 15 - PIM 47

leafaholix*

Rabid Ranger said:
Would you rather him hit like Albert Einstein?
And if this guys name were Sergei Russianov, you'd be all over him for being cheap.

espo*

E = CH² said:
Wow that is disgusting
Funny,for me this johnson kid is taking on i can't help but like him status with comments like that.I like my defensemen mean and nasty.Hmmmm......Jack johnson..he's got some potential i'd say.He's certainly moving up in my good books.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Leafaholix said:
And if this guys name were Sergei Russianov, you'd be all over him for being cheap.

No I wouldn't. I'm not anti-Russian, or anything else. I'm a homer for USA Hockey, but that doesn't stop me from appreciating the talent and abilities of players from other countries. As for "being cheap," it sounds to me like Johnson plays the game hard, and that's the way it should be played.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
it sounds to me like Johnson plays the game hard, and that's the way it should be played.

So the main goal in hockey would be to injure your opponent ?

Just wrong. Being a hard hitter is something. Being a hitter who hit to injure his opponent is another thing.

espo*

markov` said:
So the main goal in hockey would be to injure your opponent ?

Just wrong. Being a hard hitter is something. Being a hitter who hit to injure his opponent is another thing.
It's a fact of life in the bigs.Think Scott Stevens was'nt trying to take Lindros out of commission with that hit in the playoffs a few years ago? I can understand why you would'nt like it but all i can say is the kid is growing on me personally.I don't agree with hacking someone's ankle or trying to stick someone to injure them but a nice nasty open ice hit? I have to confess to liking those players.Maybe it's just me?

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
honestly those are the players you hate when they're not on your team, but secretly wish they played for your team...i hate how stevens goes headhunting on guys like lindros and kariya, but i can't say i'd be as upset if he was a ranger doing that...so i'm a hypocrit, big deal

i'd love for the rangers to get johnson if they can't get crosby

espo*

Oh i absolutely love them on my team.In fact this Johnson kid sounds like just the guy we need in Montreal.I'm starting to picture him in the blue/blanc and rouge right now.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I don't know. I would respect him more if he hadn't said his intent is to injure when he hits someone. I don't have much respect for players who go out of their way to injure others.

I like players to be really physical and everything. But the intent should never be to injure your opponent. To take him out of the play, make him lose his breath, send him flying on the ice, but always hope the guy is going to get up. I don't know, I get the feeling the guy likes it when he lays a hit and his opponent stays on the ice.

And oh by the way it has got nothing to do with him being american, canadian, russian, whatever. I could really care less.

And for the record I don't like those shoulder to the chin hits. The ones Stevens has laid on Kariya, Francis, Lindros, Phaneuf on Olesz, etc. Those hits are perfectly legal, but should be outlawed IMO. But then again there's the issue of guys always skating with their head down to avoid being hit. But that's for another debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad