Jack Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
cyclops said:
Oh i absolutely love them on my team.In fact this Johnson kid sounds like just the guy we need in Montreal.I'm starting to picture him in the blue/blanc and rouge right now.

I was really interested in knowing more about him too. And I would have liked to cheer for him in a Habs jersey but I don't anymore.

espo*

E = CH² said:
I was really interested in knowing more about him too. And I would have liked to cheer for him in a Habs jersey but I don't anymore.
But we really need a nasty s.o.b on defense,sometimes we're too easy to play against.I dunno,i hope we can get our hands on him personally,i love to win.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
i hate to be a spoilsport but i doubt the habs have any chance at getting a low enough pick to grab him, unless they intentionally bomb the season (what season?) :)

course who knows how this will all shake out

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Seeing as it would take a near miracle to see him fall out of the top four, and that he's probably pegged for #2 or #3, it seems one of the Penguins, Blackhawks or Capitals is most likely to land this player. Unless something really unexpected happens with the 2005 draft order (whenever they get around to holding it), a rough idea as to the draft order is not so very difficult to piece together, even at this early date... unless of course an 11th hour CBA salvages a partial season, but that seems a long shot.

Heck of a player by all accounts. The top-end talent in this draft seems to be three or four players strong. Nice situation for a bottom feeder, with its draft position likely to be more or less locked in place a year in advance, to have a very good shot at landing one of Crosby, Brule or Johnson. Either way you get what projects to be a great player.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
there is a HUGE difference between trying to destroy someone with a hit and a cheapshot...you can destroy someone with a clean hit, that is what johnson is taking about...

maybe he didn't pick his words right but if you think that he is saying that he likes to submarine guys and take their knees out then you are completely misunderstanding what he was saying...

if he had said "I like to hit opponents so hard that they peel themselves off the ice asking for the license plate number of that truck" it would have had the same meaning but then people wouldn't be whining about the word 'injure'

espo*

Levitate said:
i hate to be a spoilsport but i doubt the habs have any chance at getting a low enough pick to grab him, unless they intentionally bomb the season (what season?) :)

course who knows how this will all shake out
Yeah, we basically have no chance of getting him.Crosby's the guy i really want,i'm just starving for that offensive star center (or any forward) we have'nt really had since the glory days with Lafleur.For as much as we need a guy like johnson montreal is really an offensive superstar town,he'd be God there.I'm still praying for it to happen however,lol.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
E = CH² said:
Wow that is disgusting

Keep in mind we are talking about an excitable 17 year old. He's merely trying to tell people that he plays hard, and tried to do so colorfully. He came off more like an *******, but what are you gonna do? I sound like an ******* all of the time (as I'm sure you can tell by this post ;) )

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
yeah i don't know how much of a chance the rangers have at getting him...i haven't paid attention to how the draft will go in general, if it's just going off of the standings from last year, then eh...makes it harder for the rangers to hope to move up, though they have some picks to help them do that.

but if there is some kind of season and they base it off that...rangers have a good chance of sucking bad enough to definatly get a top 3 pick

Hab Fan

Nov 2, 2004
NYR469 said:
there is a HUGE difference between trying to destroy someone with a hit and a cheapshot...you can destroy someone with a clean hit, that is what johnson is taking about...

maybe he didn't pick his words right but if you think that he is saying that he likes to submarine guys and take their knees out then you are completely misunderstanding what he was saying...

if he had said "I like to hit opponents so hard that they peel themselves off the ice asking for the license plate number of that truck" it would have had the same meaning but then people wouldn't be whining about the word 'injure'
I believe you are right on. By every account Johnson is not dirty, just old fashioned mean. Remember, he played some football and has a linebacker attitude to hitting. He would never really want someone hurt. I just hope if the Habs can't get him that the Rangers do. What a PERFECT fit on Broadway!!!

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
E = CH² said:
You're just saying that because Montreal has no realistic chance of getting him anyway.

espo*

Mobey said:
Just a bad choice of words. Everyone is taking this out of context.
I'm not, i like it that he said it,seems just like my kind of player.Plenty do seem to be upset with it however,you're right.

Last edited by a moderator:

Senor Rational

Feb 11, 2004
St. Louis
E = CH² said:
I don't know. I would respect him more if he hadn't said his intent is to injure when he hits someone. I don't have much respect for players who go out of their way to injure others.

I like players to be really physical and everything. But the intent should never be to injure your opponent. To take him out of the play, make him lose his breath, send him flying on the ice, but always hope the guy is going to get up. I don't know, I get the feeling the guy likes it when he lays a hit and his opponent stays on the ice.

And oh by the way it has got nothing to do with him being american, canadian, russian, whatever. I could really care less.

And for the record I don't like those shoulder to the chin hits. The ones Stevens has laid on Kariya, Francis, Lindros, Phaneuf on Olesz, etc. Those hits are perfectly legal, but should be outlawed IMO. But then again there's the issue of guys always skating with their head down to avoid being hit. But that's for another debate.

Whats the point of hitting than? You hit someone to take them out of the play for a few seconds, to wear them down, etc... my coaches always told me if I hit someone hit them! Why should these hits bwe outlawed? Because they could injure somebody? Thats one of the points of hitting. Get them off their game, it isnt sadistic, its why you hit.Make them feel pain, if Kariya is skating hard and taing his shots on net and those are scoring chances, why shouldnt Stevens lay him out and make him think twice about coming into his zone? If a player really is strong, like Kariya, he shakes it off and snipes a goal just minutes later.

Not a personal attack so please do not take anything I said personally. I like big hits I like fighting it all adds up to an intense hockey game.

Son of Rocky Bay

cyclops said:
I'm not, i like it that he said it,seems just like my kind of player.Plenty do seem to be upset with it however,you're right.

I like it as well. It seems to me like too many people say " the right thing" these days. Michael Peca is trying to hurt the guys he hits as they cut across the ice admiring a pass. He is considered a clean player. Why not say what you feel? And if he does feel that way how is he different from Mr. Peca?

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
cyclops said:
It's a fact of life in the bigs.Think Scott Stevens was'nt trying to take Lindros out of commission with that hit in the playoffs a few years ago? I can understand why you would'nt like it but all i can say is the kid is growing on me personally.I don't agree with hacking someone's ankle or trying to stick someone to injure them but a nice nasty open ice hit? I have to confess to liking those players.Maybe it's just me?

Don't get me wrong. I love big hits. But someone wrote something that I 100 % agree with:

E = CH² said:
I like players to be really physical and everything. But the intent should never be to injure your opponent. To take him out of the play, make him lose his breath, send him flying on the ice, but always hope the guy is going to get up. I don't know, I get the feeling the guy likes it when he lays a hit and his opponent stays on the ice.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
Senor Rational said:
Whats the point of hitting than? You hit someone to take them out of the play for a few seconds, to wear them down, etc... my coaches always told me if I hit someone hit them! Why should these hits bwe outlawed? Because they could injure somebody? Thats one of the points of hitting. Get them off their game, it isnt sadistic, its why you hit.Make them feel pain, if Kariya is skating hard and taing his shots on net and those are scoring chances, why shouldnt Stevens lay him out and make him think twice about coming into his zone? If a player really is strong, like Kariya, he shakes it off and snipes a goal just minutes later.

Not a personal attack so please do not take anything I said personally. I like big hits I like fighting it all adds up to an intense hockey game.

I think it doesn't have anything to do about "how you hit". I just have problems with someone who said his intention #1 is to injure the opponents. I will be glad when Peter Worrell "welcomes" Johnson to the NHL.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
NYR469 said:

I never said Johnson is a cheapshot artist and I never wanted to imply that either.

NYR469 said:

Again... I never said that, never implied it, never meant it.

The quote is explicit though. His father encouraged him to hit to injure other kids. He is a really great person by the way.. :shakehead And later Johnson says he likes to lay out people at center ice. I'm not taking a big jump in thinking the kid like to leave people injured on the ice. Unless there are words missing in that quote and the media pieced some sentences together and called that a quote. Which is possible. Maybe the words were taken out of context. I'd like to see the full quote if that were the case.

NYR469 said:

It's a dreaded word. Personally I just don't like to see guys get injured. I don't think players being physical has to lead to injuries. It is a possibility. But it's not what you want. And I won't talk about that anymore as it's something I don't want to argue upon with fans of Rock 'em sock 'em until the cows come home.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
rt said:
Keep in mind we are talking about an excitable 17 year old. He's merely trying to tell people that he plays hard, and tried to do so colorfully. He came off more like an *******, but what are you gonna do? I sound like an ******* all of the time (as I'm sure you can tell by this post ;) )

No you don't, one of the rare in this thread and you happen to bring up one of the better points. It's true that he's only 17 and I shouldn't be too harsh as he'll probably grow up. In fact I should blame the father. What an incredible idiot... :shakehead The kid is 17 years old, and who knows for how long he's been telling him to hit to injure. I won't create a site and petition about it since I'm not a soccer mom but this is the kind of hockey parents I despise.

espo*

markov` said:
I think it doesn't have anything to do about "how you hit". I just have problems with someone who said his intention #1 is to injure the opponents. I will be glad when Peter Worrell "welcomes" Johnson to the NHL.
Fair enough.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
markov` said:

That's if Worrell can catch Johnson, which is doubtful. ;)

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
markov` said:
When did he say that was his #1 intention?

E = CH² said:
The quote is explicit though. His father encouraged him to hit to injure other kids. He is a really great person by the way.. :shakehead And later Johnson says he likes to lay out people at center ice. I'm not taking a big jump in thinking the kid like to leave people injured on the ice. Unless there are words missing in that quote and the media pieced some sentences together and called that a quote. Which is possible. Maybe the words were taken out of context. I'd like to see the full quote if that were the case.
It's not a big jump, but it's a jump nonetheless. He himself never actually said he liked to injure people. It might be implied, depending how you take it. Either way, to me, I like to hear that kind of competitiveness. So as long as he hits clean, it's fine with me.

It just looks bad because he said he likes to lay guys out at center ice, right after he explains his father use to tell him hit to injure.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Postman said:
It's not a big jump, but it's a jump nonetheless. He himself never actually said he liked to injure people. It might be implied, depending how you take it. Either way, to me, I like to hear that kind of competitiveness. So as long as he hits clean, it's fine with me.

It just looks bad because he said he likes to lay guys out at center ice, right after he explains his father use to tell him hit to injure.

Fair enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->