Jack Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Seemingly a great all-around prospect based on all the scouting reports I've read (I haven't seen him play).

Ultra-physical, with a very nasty edge. Skates extremely well and jumps into the play often. Good offensive instincts. Biggest knock is that he goes for the big hit too much and gets himself out of position, but that's one knock that scouts like to see. Not a huge frame, but not small by any stretch. Perhaps a more physical version of Ryan Suter. The only reason he isn't higher is that it's a little tougher to compare a player when they are playing in the U-18 program versus the CHL or NCAA, but that is not stopping him from moving up the ranks. Was already top 5 on most lists before his recent performance at the 4 Nations tourney in which he was supposedly fantastic.

Prucha73

Why is Johnson playing in the U-18 program? Was he afraid to hurt his draft stock by trying to play against older, bigger and tougher competition?

RDriesen

May 22, 2002
Visit site
Prucha73 said:
Why is Johnson playing in the U-18 program? Was he afraid to hurt his draft stock by trying to play against older, bigger and tougher competition?
what do you mean by that? i by no means know who they play, but i was under the assumption that they play a lot of colleges which means he is playing 18-23 year olds at the age of 17

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Prucha73 said:

It's a great program first off. And yes, the U-18 teams plays a lot of college teams despite their age (and do quite well in those match-ups).

Secondly, he's too young to be playing in the NCAA, so this is the next best place to play (Playing in the CHL would make him ineligible for the NCAA). Some players accelerate their school to get into college a year earlier from what I understand (i.e. Thelan last year, and I believe Pineault too), but that is not the norm. I believe Johnson is committed to play in Michigan next year.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
RDriesen said:
what do you mean by that? i by no means know who they play, but i was under the assumption that they play a lot of colleges which means he is playing 18-23 year olds at the age of 17

Exactly. Johnson IS playing against high level competition in not only his age group but older.

A Good Flying Bird*

markov` said:
Who has seen him play ? I'm trying to find some scouting reports on him but I can't. What are his stats this season ? Strenghts ? Weaknesses ?

Johnson is about 6'1, 200 Lbs.
He's a terrific skating defenseman who loves to carry the puck up the ice. He sees the ice well. He's a good passer and he's got a great wristshot and good slapshot.
The thing that really blows my mind is the way he loves to hit. No exaggeration here: In the recent U18 4 nations Cup, Johnson physically dominated, throwing as many as 10-15 big hits every game.
You gotta wonder if he played it up just a bit for all the scouts, and you gotta wonder about durability. Regardless, I was stunned. I can't remember seeing anyone that enthusiastic about throwing big checks.

Anyway, if he has a weakness it's in his own zone, where he can sometimes get lost.
But damn, he's a 17-year-old defenseman who does things you can't teach (speed/skill/willingness-to-hit). He's got plenty of time to learn the rest.

I don't have his season state on me (check with USAhockey.com and then click NTDP)
He recently tied for the lead in points at the U18 4 Nations, where he was the best player.

The USA NTDP teams plays collegiate and major junior teams.
He has committed to play for the University of Michigan next season.

Prucha73

Is 8 points in 12 games really that impressive, for a guy whose offensive skills were compared to Leetch?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Prucha73 said:
Is 8 points in 12 games really that impressive, for a guy whose offensive skilled were compared to Leetch?

Playing against college players while playing alongside fellow 17 year olds, it is not bad at all, but 12 games is tough to evaluate anyone on. 6 points in 4 games at the recent U-18 tourney for a tie for 2nd in scoring certainly suggests he has some offence. I wouldn't compare him to Leetch's offensive talents quite yet, although it sounds like Johnson throws more big hits in a game than Leetch did in his career.

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
Prucha73 said:
Is 8 points in 12 games really that impressive, for a guy whose offensive skilled were compared to Leetch?
By comparison, Suter had 27 points in 47 games in his U-18 year.

Plus Johnson had 1-5-6 in 4 games at the Four Nations tourney (as mentioned above by Dr. Sens(e)).

Prucha73

Postman said:
By comparison, Suter had 27 points in 47 games in his U-18 year.

Plus Johnson had 1-5-6 in 4 games at the Four Nations tourney (as mentioned above by Dr. Sens(e)).

But isn't Johnson supposed to be a lot more offensive that Suter?

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
Prucha73 said:
But isn't Johnson supposed to be a lot more offensive that Suter?
He is, but you would really have to see him play to know what he's capable of. Perhaps he just got off to a slow start, and after his great performance at the Four Nations tourney he'll put up more points.

Like Dr.Sens(e) said, it's only 12 games. I'd give him some more time to get going before judging his stats at this point.

X-SHARKIE

Prucha73 said:

Not at all IMO, I saw him earlier this year vs Harvard and he was the most impressive player on the ice. You couldn't tell that he was only 17 and that Noah Welch was on the verge of the AHL. He is a beast at both ends.

The complete defenseman, I haven't been this excited about a defenseman ever! Not even Jay-Bo.

Let's make this clear, he's no Leetch offensively, not saying he isn't very good, but I don't think he's in Leetchs catagory yet, but you gotta love his play defensively. He's one nasty SOB out there.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
markov` said:
Who has seen him play ? I'm trying to find some scouting reports on him but I can't. What are his stats this season ? Strenghts ? Weaknesses ?

Full web-page/scouting report on him here...

:beatup:

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Prucha73 said:
Is 8 points in 12 games really that impressive, for a guy whose offensive skills were compared to Leetch?

The stats on the usahockey site are wrong. He's got 14 points in 13 games.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Prucha73 said:

Johnson is playing for the U-18 team because he is still in high school and being a top hockey player doesn't change the fact that you have to finish high school before playing in college. the alternative was to play junior hockey in canada making himself ineligible for college, but he is committed to michigan next year and decided to go the college route...it is the same exact route Ryan Suter took and it didn't hurt him...

and the notion that johnson is avoiding older, bigger, better competition is absolutely laughable considering that the U-18 team plays 17 (SEVENTEEN) games against NCAA D-1 schools...they have already faced Clarkson, St. Lawrence, Northern Michigan, Michigan Tech, Robert Morris, Harvard, and Brown and will face Notre Dame, New Hampshire, Dartmouth, Maine, Boston University, Michigan State (twice), Minnesota, Minnesota State, and Michigan

so he opted against playing junior hockey where he would face 16-20 year olds and instead is facing 18-22 year old college players and you call that 'avoiding' bigger & older competition?? he would have avoided it more by going to juniors...and of those 17 games, 8 of the teams are on michigan's schedule. so he is facing many of the same teams he would have faced if he was at michigan this year (michigan plays each team more times), but if he was a freshmen at michigan he would be buried on the depth charts and most likely wouldn't get key minutes. with the U-18 team, he is the #1 guy and has to face the other teams top line...so he is not only facing the SAME competent but he is doing it in a bigger role with a lesser supporting cast making it TOUGHER competition...

and then on top of those games, they just played the 4 nations against against the top under 18 players from sweden, finland, and switzerland. later in the year will play in the 5 nations against the top under 18 players from russia, czech republic, sweden and finland. Johnson could play for the US at the WJC, and then in april could join the rest of the U-18 team at the World U-18 Championships...

so the notion that he isn't facing quality competition is absolutely ridiculous and untrue...

and on top of that the idea that you facing lesser competition helps your draft position is complete bs too...facing lesser competition HURTS your draft position because you are considered less proven. the knock against blake wheeler before this years draft was that he only played against high school kids so you don't know what he could do against college players. that won't be the same for johnson since he will face college players, but the fact remains that johnson would have helped his draft position by heading to juniors not hurt it.

X-SHARKIE

There are two reasons why everyone isn't going goga over this kid and why he isn't being hyped up much.

1. Crosby's hype is defening, now not saying he doesn't deserve it, but it is taking away talk from such elite players like Johnson.

2. He plays for the USNTDP, if he was in the WHL, OHL, QMJHL or the NCAA right now everyone is seeing this guy more and going crazy over him.

Just because he doesn't have the hype YET! ( I feal it coming) Doesn't mean that he isn't up there with the elite prospects. He has a great offensive game, but best yet his defensive game reminds me of a bigger hitting Scott Hannan of today!!

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
i'm hoping the rangers can nab him if they dont' get a shot at the top 2

they could use a real franchise blueliner in what is otherwise a solid young D corps

X0ssbar

Levitate said:
i'm hoping the rangers can nab him if they dont' get a shot at the top 2

they could use a real franchise blueliner in what is otherwise a solid young D corps

Not if the Jackets can land him first! I'll be :bow: if the CBJ get a shot at this guy.

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
X-SHARKIE said:
There are two reasons why everyone isn't going goga over this kid and why he isn't being hyped up much.

1. Crosby's hype is defening, now not saying he doesn't deserve it, but it is taking away talk from such elite players like Johnson.

2. He plays for the USNTDP, if he was in the WHL, OHL, QMJHL or the NCAA right now everyone is seeing this guy more and going crazy over him.

Just because he doesn't have the hype YET! ( I feal it coming) Doesn't mean that he isn't up there with the elite prospects. He has a great offensive game, but best yet his defensive game reminds me of a bigger hitting Scott Hannan of today!!

I could be wrong, but he seems to have more offensive talent than Hannan. To me, he seems like a young Scott Stevens. I know that comparison gets thrown around a lot, but it seems to fit Johnsons Style.

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
Captain Conservative said:
I could be wrong, but he seems to have more offensive talent than Hannan. To me, he seems like a young Scott Stevens. I know that comparison gets thrown around a lot, but it seems to fit Johnsons Style.
I agree. He's got it all offensively, and I think he has Norris potential. Lofty expectations, but he's got the skating, the hockey sense, and the shot to put up 50 points, IMO. That, with his size (6-1, 200), and rugged style of play, a young Scott Stevens is a good comparison.

The 2005 draft is going to feature three potential franchise players in Crosby, Brule, and Johnson. Can't wait to see these guys in the NHL.

SeLaine

May 26, 2004
how does he compare to Phaneuf. Everything I'm hearing about Johnson sounds quite similar to the scouting report on Phaneuf. So are these two similar players?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad