Prospect Info: Jack Hughes

Does he stay in single digits? Or into the football #s

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Pulling for your countrymen is one thing.

Intentionally antagonizing an opposing fanbase while hiding behind misguided nationalism is an entirely different issue.

I think @fr9dd9 is a good guy who is entitled to root for Kakko, but made the simple mistake of not realizing that posting his Kakko opinions on the Jack Hughes thread for the team certain to draft Jack Hughes would be considered extremely antagonistic by the fans of that team.

We're all hockey fans here, and we should welcome disagreements and debates. Every day I try to be a discerning citizen and wake up and read the news. It usually takes all of two articles until I get so frustrated and depressed about how screwed up the world is that I go to my hockey pages to take my mind off all of the people suffering out there. I like the idea of a community where everyone wants the same thing, the hockey players and teams they root for to do well. So, let's give @fr9dd9 the benefit of the doubt. That is, until the next time Team USA plays Team Sweden in a big game, then we can follow the ageless tradition of talking as much trash as we can to him.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Im not a fan of any team, I live in sweden and like to keep an eye on upcoming EU prospects, thats all. I did however feel like I shouldnt comment in the thread cuz of the name(and its god forbidden on hfboards to talk about someone else in another thread) but it was your draft thread and I just wanted to share some of Kakko recent accomplishments. I probably havent seen Kakko or Hughes as much as pro scouts have, But I have watched alot and built my own thought about the two. I dont listen to scouts only, they are people just like us and some scouts even makes mistakes and get provoked by media ,hype and preassure. I have just watched them both play and came to share a video of someone I thought was in the discussion for the #1, But apperantly it upset alot of people and I wont do it again. But in all honesty I didnt know the NJD (fans) where this sold on hughes and would be angry if someone is trying to debate about Kakko being potential #1. I did however read some stuff the njd coach said, but the coach rearly have the same insight as the team scouts. So just cuz he is sold on hughes does not mean the scouts dont keep an eye on both leading up to the draft. In my opinion there is still time to change the outcome of the draft with the WC coming up, But I was wrong commenting to begin with and will leave you guys alone.
My bad if you're trying to have honest discussion and good on you for being passionate about the game in general. I took this line "Kind of, cuz I dont like eighter teams that has #1-#3 draft spot, and im swedish." as 1&3 instead of 1-3 attempting to take the language barrier in to account.

Apologies.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
The Finnish fans going into every thread on the mainboard to trash Hughes is pretty pathetic really. Are people really that insecure about their own prospects?

Reactions: Devilsfan118

Winds Hockey

Apr 7, 2019
Well I wouldnt say im more over the moon about Hughes than STI, just in terms of his production in his first year or two.

As for what convinces me of these projections, its his skating and vision that allow me to believe he can be our leading or 2nd leading scorer as a rookie. Jack has been skating at an NHL pace since he was 15/16 and by that I mean the speed in which he skates AND plays. Jack is much like McDavid in they both skate phenomenally but also stick handle, pass, and survey the ice at that same high-end speed. Now take those two major skills and consider how translation to the NHL works - for most players its the speed they cant initially keep up with as well as thea pace of shifts being so much more intense. Yes, Hughes could tire out halfway or 3/4 through as its only a normal possibility but I digress. Also take into account his lack of size but keep in mind his incredible skating, his edgework and pivots are so unbelievably strong at his age that his core balance and skating-strength alone accounts for an extra 10-20 pounds of what I call ghost weight - its like following and trying to hitting a 200lb middle-6 forward vs 200lb Crosby, Crosby is so strong on his skates that he comes off like hes 220lbs.

So I have Hughes entering the league and IMMEDIATELY being one of the games best skaters, so half of the transition to the NHL is already complete. Hughes biggest three challenges to me are: endurance, patience, and physicality. Any prospect should have endurance questions as they dont play 82+ at such a high pace. Patience is for the fact that sometimes Hughes tries a bit too much when his team is down and he will have to understand he is no longer the best in his hockey world anymore so he cant just let loose every time - however we will let him do this sometimes. Then the obvious physicality aspect most are worried about, and while im not overly concerned about it Im no idiot to think a guy like Byfuglien isnt daunting to Hughes at the age of 18.

All in all the second Hughes steps into training camp and the seasons start, IMO, he is our most skilled forward. Is he the most refined? No, the most experienced? Obviously not, which is why I havent been stating it as a fact that Hughes will outproduce everyone. But when you have already half of the biggest parts of NHL-transition figured out simply in natural raw talent, you have more of a head start than most. Add on to this that guys like Kane were drafted to far worse teams than Hughes has been and I dont see how its unreasonable at all to EXPECT 60+ while I wouldnt be surprised one bit if he broke 80+

If the Devils were a WC1-2 team and our top-6 remains relatively healthy, Id have Hughes pegged at a 70-80pt pace over 82games. Hischier scored 53 and as much as Hischier is my favorite NHLer, Hughes is twice the natural talent and prospect Nico was. To add 15-20+ points to those totals arent that crazy IMO as the team is better and also Hughes' skillset is far more conductive of high-end production

I agree with most of this post. I think the things most players have to adjust to when entering the NHL are things Jack already excels at, so while I won't say the transition will be easy for him, I don't expect it to be especially difficult either. I agree that we can't assume every 18-year-old will be able to do what Hischier did as a rookie; that was exceptional. Hughes won't be asked to do all of those things, though, and he's joining a much better team than Nico joined. We'll be able to shelter him as much as he needs, and I imagine a lot of his ice will come in the offensive zone. I think 60 is a reasonable expectation. I do agree that it's possible he doesn't do as well and only scores 40-45, but I think it's just as possible he scores 75-80. I also expect him to do wonders for our power play. He's literally a game-changer for us.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
The Finnish fans going into every thread on the mainboard to trash Hughes is pretty pathetic really. Are people really that insecure about their own prospects?

I'm not concerned. Hughes is the best player in the 2019 draft and the Devils are taking him #1.

Just go on the mainboard and ask if Byram, Podkolzin or Kakko should be the #2 overall pick behind Hughes and watch them all go nuts for a few days, it could be fun.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Well if im not I may be shunned by yall lol

Whether he lives up to my comments in his rookie year remains to be seen but Im extremely confident he becomes the total package we're all expecting - and thats a talent NJ has never seen at forward
Lol I know we've all had our differences in the reg season hair of hynes, but I'm with you on Hughes and hope as much as you do that he busts out of the gate. He could help unite us on HF

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I'm not concerned. Hughes is the best player in the 2019 draft and the Devils are taking him #1.

Just go on the mainboard and ask if Byram, Podkolzin or Kakko should be the #2 overall pick behind Hughes and watch them all go nuts for a few days, it could be fun.
I didn't say I was concerned. What people say on HF has no impact on the reality of the situation. I just find it sad and pathetic.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I go to the main prospect board to see if anyone caught a look or saw some media on Hughes’ last warmup game and there hasn’t been a post in his thread in about 3 days.

All the other major prospects have updates and discussion and Hughes only gets discussion in comparison to Kakko. I think that’s a decent indication that there really isn’t much more to discuss about his game; it’s already acknowledged as having the most possible upside.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Crosby Ovechkin McDavid are the only generational players right now

and Ovechkin is the greatest goal scorer ever but i digress
Kuch? Granted he wasn’t considered generational but if he has a couple more 100 point seasons he can be in the same category I think

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016

Its mainly insecurities about the Finnish league. Their biggest positive is that Kappo plays against men in a stronger league so his performance should be rated higher. They don't want to be told that a prospect setting records in their league is worse than someone in the USNDT playing weaker teams.

Their fanaticism blinds them to the fact that Kappo could both be the better player currently and have less potential 3-4 years down the line.

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013
He's not a point a game player. And Supertar status doesn't get the 22 years old age caveat

Look at the most points in the last 3 years and you'll find "superstars".

NHL Player Stats in Last 3 Seasons

So players who missed significant time with injuries during the past 3 seasons can't be superstars? Eichel has more posted more points per game (.99) over the last 3 seasons than Tavares (.988) or Matthews (.967). Ovechkin has posted exactly 1 point per game during that time frame or one extra point per 100 games than Eichel.

Reactions: LoktionovMVP

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The whole Hughes vs Kakko thing is so stupid. Why can't they both be great franchise players? We have to put one down to build up the other? The prospect board is unreadable.

Considering where they're both going to be drafted yes :sarcasm:

But seriously it does get old seeing the constant comparisons. Let's just go on the premise that we're getting a great prospect, and the Rangers are getting a very good one and not worry about it.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Considering where they're both going to be drafted yes :sarcasm:

But seriously it does get old seeing the constant comparisons. Let's just go on the premise that we're getting a great prospect, and the Rangers are getting a very good one and not worry about it.

I cannot restate this enough: the top 9-10 in the 2019 draft are extremely strong. I get goosebumps watching Trevor Zegras and Peyton Krebs, and those kids could go as late as 10 overall. All of these guys are just outstanding prospects with sky-high potential.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
The whole Hughes vs Kakko thing is so stupid. Why can't they both be great franchise players? We have to put one down to build up the other? The prospect board is unreadable.
Because what's the point and fun of the internet otherwise, silly? :P

I agree with your sentiment though.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I go to the main prospect board to see if anyone caught a look or saw some media on Hughes’ last warmup game and there hasn’t been a post in his thread in about 3 days.

All the other major prospects have updates and discussion and Hughes only gets discussion in comparison to Kakko. I think that’s a decent indication that there really isn’t much more to discuss about his game; it’s already acknowledged as having the most possible upside.
Its also because everything Hughes related in the prospects section gets raided and derailed so everybody left it alone

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
So players who missed significant time with injuries during the past 3 seasons can't be superstars? Eichel has more posted more points per game (.99) over the last 3 seasons than Tavares (.988) or Matthews (.967). Ovechkin has posted exactly 1 point per game during that time frame or one extra point per 100 games than Eichel.
If you never been in the top 10 in NHL scoring you're simply not a superstar.
This was Eichel's far and away best season and he was 24th in scoring.

There aren't 30 superstars in the league and that term in my opinion is reserved for 3 maybe 5 players in the league.

And a ppg doesn't get you to "multiple 100 point seasons"....it doesn't even get you to one. 1.22 ppg is a 100 point season...6 players did it this season, 3 the season before and 1 the season before that.

McDavid is the only one with 3 in the last 3 years. Kucherov has 2 in the last 3. Now you can see superstar taking shape.

Maybe in time Eichel can move into that upper echelon but he is really in a big pack of good players today.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I've got bad news. I just found this SI article and it says we're the only team that Jack Hughes can't immediately fix. :sarcasm:

How Jack Hughes fits with each of the NHL's bottom teams
"The NHL was different when Jack Hughes was born in 2001: The game was slower, the average skater weighed seven pounds more, the two-line pass existed and the New Jersey Devils turned hockey into a plodding, painful exhibition with the neutral zone trap"

Stupid Article....

In 2001 the Devils scored 295 goals, that would be 2nd in the NHL today only to Tampa's freakish season of 325.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
"The NHL was different when Jack Hughes was born in 2001: The game was slower, the average skater weighed seven pounds more, the two-line pass existed and the New Jersey Devils turned hockey into a plodding, painful exhibition with the neutral zone trap"

Stupid Article....

In 2001 the Devils scored 295 goals, that would be 2nd in the NHL today only to Tampa's freakish season of 325.
It's always funny how no one will claim that Colorado or Detroit were killing hockey because they "turned hockey into a plodding, painful exhibition with the neutral zone trap".

From 1998-2001, no team scored more goals than the Devils did over that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad