Jack Hughes first 2 pro seasons : improving, but still not 1st overall level

Status
Not open for further replies.

yada

move 2 dallas 4 work
Nov 6, 2006
watching happy pony
Hughes looked good in almost evry game against the rangers and that was whether he scored points or was pointless. He was noticeabley better and very impressive. I wouldnt worry about him just yet.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Hughes looked good in almost evry game against the rangers and that was whether he scored points or was pointless. He was noticeabley better and very impressive. I wouldnt worry about him just yet.

There's nothing to worry about. A year of college would have probably done him some good but he was a play driver last year and was the same this year, with better results-especially the last quarter or so of the season. He's a playmaker though. He's going to need some help as I don't envision him being much of a huge goal scorer at the NHL level.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
There's nothing to worry about. A year of college would have probably done him some good but he was a play driver last year and was the same this year, with better results-especially the last quarter or so of the season. He's a playmaker though. He's going to need some help as I don't envision him being much of a huge goal scorer at the NHL level.
If/when Hughes gets better I think his ceiling is something like Backstrom, 15-20 goal with 40-60 assist seasons. Thats if he gets better and gets a good shooter on his line, Hopefully Holtz can be that guy.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
He'll be a legit 1st line, consistent 70 point scorer in the NHL. Just don't see him ever hitting that next superstar level.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Your,... text, (was), really, hard, to, read
It makes more sense when you realize he’s writing in free verse and it’s all just bad poetry.

Jack Hughes did improve, relatively lot from his rookie season, however, he is, was selected 1st overall
and his productions is still not at, where its supposed to be.

His start to the season was not very good, how he played, not his point production,
as the season progressed however, he started to play better, way better
and even our own Viasat Finnish NHL voice; Antti Mäkinen had to eat some crow :)

So, still, lots to improve, needs some more game adjusting,
needs to at least simplify his game, for one, to get more production.

He does have the necessary tools to improve, lots. Obviously still
needs to get stronger (mature physically), play, well..think (react) faster
with and without the puck.

Time will tell what comes out of Jack Hughes, he has started,..has corrected
his path (as i hoped he would) but, still lots of work to do. Interesting to see,
to follow his career, is he able to do some hard work much needed,
to achieve his goals as a pro athlete and fans expectations.

Good luck Jack!.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Even more physically immature than Kane but that's a good call. Makes you appreciate what Kane was able to do right off the bat.
Kane was smaller and arguably less filled out, but he never needed to be and never really did fill out that much. Kane was listed at 5'9 160 at his draft.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Every time I saw the Devils play a game this season Hughes was their best skater. If his teammates could finish his passes I think he would have had an extra 10-15 points this season.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
mcdavid and matthews having the rookie seasons they did put immediate expectations for 1st overall picks way too high.

Hughes was expected to struggle a bit due to his size, but his skills are worth using a 1st on.

At a certain point, maybe people will realize not every 1st overall pick is a bust and that McMatthews isnt the norm

Reactions: Hisch13r

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
He's fine

I look at it this way:

His first NHL season shouldn't have happened. He should not have played NHL that year. I essentially consider this currrent year as his rookie season in terms of projecting him out.
This year, he's at a 45 point pace and only a -3 which is not so bad considering the rest of his team-mates. He's obviously on a weak team too so that has to be taken into consideration.
He's only 19.

Tavares had 54 points in his rookie year and was -15
Stamkos would have had 47 pts in his rookie year if he prorated to 82 games. -13
MacKinnon 63 points. + 20

Hughes isn't too far off other former 1st overall guys.
He definitely isn't in Yakupov or even Hischier territory

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
mcdavid and matthews having the rookie seasons they did put immediate expectations for 1st overall picks way too high.

Hughes was expected to struggle a bit due to his size, but his skills are worth using a 1st on.

At a certain point, maybe people will realize not every 1st overall pick is a bust and that McMatthews isnt the norm

This is of course the correct response but will be widely ignored.

Reactions: MakoSlade

DontLaughAtThat

Apr 12, 2017
He'll be very good, but he really needs to improve at the dot if he's going to be a center. I think the next few seasons will determine whether or not he'll be on the wing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad