Player Discussion: Jack "hometown kid" Roslovic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I was completely unfamiliar with him until the trade.

His skating is extraordinary. Quick, shifty and fast. I'll wait to evaluate him further until I see him play a bit more, but it's hard to see how he only scored 29 points in 71 games last year. Players often play over their heads for a bit with their new teams and I don't expect Roslovic to be a PPG player, but he's certainly going to outperform his Winnipeg numbers by a significant margin.

In this dreadfully non physical NHL, it's skill players like Roslovic who will make the CBJs worthy of watching.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
I was completely unfamiliar with him until the trade.

His skating is extraordinary. Quick, shifty and fast. I'll wait to evaluate him further until I see him play a bit more, but it's hard to see how he only scored 29 points in 71 games last year. Players often play over their heads for a bit with their new teams and I don't expect Roslovic to be a PPG player, but he's certainly going to outperform his Winnipeg numbers by a significant margin.

In this dreadfully non physical NHL, it's skill players like Roslovic who will make the CBJs worthy of watching.

He's from Columbus. I had no idea he was this good.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Jack's first agent was a friend of mine. I think he signed Jack when he was maybe 14 or 15 years old. I remember him telling me that he had just signed this young kid and said to me, "Remember this name: Jack Roslovic. He is going to be a superstar, He is that unbelievable in his talent. Superstar, I am dead serious."

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
Perhaps more important than ice time is that the way Roslovic plays, I don't think it would sit well with Maurice. Tortorella seems to allow for more offensive creativity and freedom. I doubt anyone could play like Roslovic with Maurice as their coach. Maurice would probably make Patrick Kane play system hockey also.
I don't think Torts cares what players do offensively if it gets goals, but you better not screw up his Defensive system.

Reactions: hn777

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
His hands, vision (always skates with his head up) and puck protection have really stood out to me.

Maintaining a point per game pace will be tough (especially with that shooting percentage) but these aren’t skills that will vanish.

Seems the guy just needed the role/ice time to spread his wings ala Karlsson which was rightfully pointed out earlier. I hope he continues to fly.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
Big difference between a rookie doing it and a proven 40g scorer or breadman.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Roslovic looks like a legit offensive star and he's making some really nice plays with the puck. He played barely any C in Jets so hopefully he'll get better with faceoffs etc, but he really looks a lot more comfortable playing C than he was at wing. The 1st line as a whole is starting to look pretty good and it's nice to see Laine playing more offensively, though he still looks very eager to cover for D and stay back, but I don't think Torts will mind that.

KansaLaineN

Feb 2, 2021
Is Mikko Koivu still in town ? Might as well hire him as a personal face off coach for Roslovic
Hehe. I'm afraid he's gone back to Minnesota. He wants to take some time off from hockey but is still interested in a career within the sport.

Reactions: hn777

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
1 goal.
3 assists.
4 points.
18 shots on goal.
nearly 18 mins TOI/game

last 9 games played.

we knew regression was coming. here it is. he is playing as soft as I’ve ever seen him play in a CBJ uni. I started this thread because I was in awe of his play at the time, as we all were but dang. regression, big time.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
1 goal.
3 assists.
4 points.
18 shots on goal.
nearly 18 mins TOI/game

last 9 games played.

we knew regression was coming. here it is. he is playing as soft as I’ve ever seen him play in a CBJ uni. I started this thread because I was in awe of his play at the time, as we all were but dang. regression, big time.
Probably not the best strategy to put a kid learning the center position at the NHL level , on your first line ...

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
He has a lot to work to do on both sides of the ice but he has a ton of room to grow. He's got the skills the team needs. I wouldn't worry so much about his "soft" game as I would about him getting his faceoff percentage around 50% and getting him in the correct role (he's not a first line player). He's a keeper to me no matter what happens the rest of the year. This team being a mess isn't on him.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Jenner played 2C for a year - not very well, I might add - and not a peep out of Torts.

This is something that kind of plagued Jack in Winnipeg. Very nice skill set but he's streaky, when he is on he looks great. His problem was that he was a bit soft, too much of a perimeter player, and not really that good defensively. He got his looks at 2nd line center last season and it didn't pan out. It seemed like Maurice never really believed in Jack's overall game and some of our fans were disappointed he didn't get a longer look in key roles. I think all the fans agreed he didn't kick down the door when he got his shot. He was not ready to play 2nd line center last season on the Jets. One thing I thought would work well with the move is it would be a fresh start for Jack and he would get a good long look with a new organization. Hopefully, Torts can bring the best out of him and get him to compete harder and not vanish for stretches like he did in Winnipeg.

Reactions: Cypruss

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
upload_2021-12-2_10-33-14.png

Starting to look a lot like "one of these things is not like the others."

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
View attachment 486351

Starting to look a lot like "one of these things is not like the others."

That's a function of minutes, especially powerplay time.

Here's Jack's points per 60 minutes at 5v5:

2018-19 WPG 1.48
2019-20 WPG1.48
2020-21 CBJ 1.86
2021-22 CBJ2.29
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

So in this admittedly small sample he is better than ever. Roslovic is second only to Bjorkstrand in 5v5 point totals, and he's 9th among forwards in total 5v5 minutes, 13th in 5v5 minutes per game.

I'd say he just needs the benefit of the coach's confidence, but I know it's not that simple, Roslovic is legit terrible defensively.

Reactions: I3LI3

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
That's a function of minutes, especially powerplay time.

Here's Jack's points per 60 minutes at 5v5:

2018-19 WPG 1.48
2019-20 WPG1.48
2020-21 CBJ 1.86
2021-22 CBJ2.29
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
So in this admittedly small sample he is better than ever. Roslovic is second only to Bjorkstrand in 5v5 point totals, and he's 9th among forwards in total 5v5 minutes, 13th in 5v5 minutes per game.

I'd say he just needs the benefit of the coach's confidence, but I know it's not that simple, Roslovic is legit terrible defensively.
1. Domi
2. Roslovic
3. Bjorkstrand
4. Laine
5. Hofmann

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Because I'm not so good in hockey analyses like for example @majormajor, @Mikey09, @thebus88, @tunnelvision etc (sorry for those I didn't mention) I'd rather ask those who are more knowledgeable:

1. how they see Jack as a center
2. how they think he connects Laine-Voracek/Nyquist
3. what kind of partners are suitable for him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad