Player Discussion: Jack "hometown kid" Roslovic

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Ragdolling Wennberg isn't a huge accomplishment

Wennberg has made enough money to retire, so in a way I don't feel sorry for him

but I do think Tom Wilson is largely to blame for his downfall

Expansion may keep him in the league a few more years, if he's willing to sign a 7ooK deal

I would expect Wennberg to be in the SHL next year

You talking about the same Alex Wennberg who is averaging over 16 minutes a night on the only team not to lose in regulation yet? That guy?

Wennberg is going to be in the NHL for a long time. Just because his offensive game didn't bloom doesn't mean he's not an NHL player. The dude is a fantastic 3rd line defensive center. He'll be around for a while.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Jack has been a pleasant surprise. He has been a noticeable player out there and hopefully his trajectory is still rising. I am looking forward to Laine/Ros combination today.

The combo was nice, but #13 was unfortunately not up for the task. At least not tonight.

Roslovic has now more than PPG and all around pretty good game.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
He's playing fantastic and I admit I was not hyped at all when we got him. It felt like a PR move this side of Kole Sherwood.

But it wasn't. He's a player, and looks good. But I think we should tap the breaks on the hype train. Much like how a few games and people were mentioning Texier as the next 1C in the making, we should be cautious and just let Roslovic play.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
He's playing fantastic and I admit I was not hyped at all when we got him. It felt like a PR move this side of Kole Sherwood.

But it wasn't. He's a player, and looks good. But I think we should tap the breaks on the hype train. Much like how a few games and people were mentioning Texier as the next 1C in the making, we should be cautious and just let Roslovic play.
Oh, I completely agree. And yet the whole Central Ohio Pride part of me is already all "INJECT THIS INTO MAH VEIINNNNNNNSSS"

Reactions: cslebn

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I think I read this in the Athletic - supposedly Jarmo was trying to get Roslovic in the 2015 draft when the Jackets traded up into the 1st. Roslovic unfortunately got picked a few spots before and they had to take Gabe Carlsson instead.

Reactions: Halberdier

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
I think I read this in the Athletic - supposedly Jarmo was trying to get Roslovic in the 2015 draft when the Jackets traded up into the 1st. Roslovic unfortunately got picked a few spots before and they had to take Gabe Carlsson instead.

Yes, and I think Jarmo said something along the lines on a Finnish interview as well. They were after Roslo and Laine on 2015 & 2016 drafts, but got them only after the PLD trade.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Yes, and I think Jarmo said something along the lines on a Finnish interview as well. They were after Roslo and Laine on 2015 & 2016 drafts, but got them only after the PLD trade.

Feel free to share links to those interviews here when you come across them. There are a lot of cool details in Finnish media that don't come out here.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009

I know hindsight and all, but if their target was Roslovic, then why did they trade up when he went? I assume they obviously had Carlsson right there as well, but if he was their main target why did he do it?

If only he picked Aho

Reactions: CBJx614

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Not Jack-Who anymore. He is now "Jack-WOW"!

Imagine shouting "Hi" to Jack on an aeroplane... But he has kind of hijacked the PLD spot already. Nice start and he has been just like Laine promised him to be. I was more sceptical and thought about serviceable 2C.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Used to watch Wpg games a lot because of Laine, i noticed Roslovic already back then and felt he didn't get a fair chance there. He could very well be the #1 C going forward.
Coming from a Winnipegger in the Great White (ground) North you all won with getting Jack-WOW for PLD. Laine is just the 3rd round pick replacement.
He might even score a few times for you.? When not heating Torts' "bread-slicing-board" or bench as he calls it. Embarrassed for Laine, and for you all having to see that, only 4 games in. Best of luck.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I'd pay $20 for a random, non-Columbus reporter to ask him where he's from next chance they get.

Reactions: cslebn

Dessert Nights

Back in Form
Nov 22, 2016
Finland
When Roslovic was in Winnipeg, he wasn't ready to be a center in Top 6 and when Laine, Ehlers, Connor and Wheeler were playing wing, there was no room for him in top lines. And tbh it didn't look like he deserved a spot back then. He has now taken a step forward and got a bigger role and it has made him more productive and he plays better overall. I don't think he has #1 C potential but he could be Top 15-20 #2 C in this league. If Columbus can get Top 25 #1 C it should be a fair 1-2 punch for a perennial playoff team who could get past the first round.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
When Roslovic was in Winnipeg, he wasn't ready to be a center in Top 6 and when Laine, Ehlers, Connor and Wheeler were playing wing, there was no room for him in top lines. And tbh it didn't look like he deserved a spot back then. He has now taken a step forward and got a bigger role and it has made him more productive and he plays better overall. I don't think he has #1 C potential but he could be Top 15-20 #2 C in this league. If Columbus can get Top 25 #1 C it should be a fair 1-2 punch for a perennial playoff team who could get past the first round.

He deserved a real, fair chance back then in the Jets to show what he has got as a 2C. Never got that chance. I mean a real one. Maybe he was not ready, maybe he was. We will never know because of Maurice.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He deserved a real, fair chance back then in the Jets to show what he has got as a 2C. Never got that chance. I mean a real one. Maybe he was not ready, maybe he was. We will never know because of Maurice.

I don't like pinning this on Maurice. He gave him plenty of games at 3C and plenty of games at 2RW. Roslovic just didn't produce enough to justify a promotion. It's akin to, but not quite as extreme, as people saying with full hindsight that William Karlsson should have been tried at #1C in Columbus, despite not scoring in his last half season with the club.

I suspect Roslovic wouldn't have been great in a 2C role with those great Jets forwards around. I think he needs to be a big fish in the pond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->