Player Discussion: Jack "hometown kid" Roslovic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
He has been more than a pleasant surprise. I don’t know why we’re that surprised he is a first round talent, he was just never given a real opportunity.

I think the perception was that he was not going meet his potential. Jack got a lot of heat here right away if you read the first couple GDTs that he played in. He's managed to put those question marks behind him for now. It's early but it looks like Jarmo hit another HR with this trade.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
When Roslovic was in Winnipeg, he wasn't ready to be a center in Top 6 and when Laine, Ehlers, Connor and Wheeler were playing wing, there was no room for him in top lines. And tbh it didn't look like he deserved a spot back then. He has now taken a step forward and got a bigger role and it has made him more productive and he plays better overall. I don't think he has #1 C potential but he could be Top 15-20 #2 C in this league. If Columbus can get Top 25 #1 C it should be a fair 1-2 punch for a perennial playoff team who could get past the first round.
Totally agree. That's a tough top six for a young kid to crack.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I don't like pinning this on Maurice. He gave him plenty of games at 3C and plenty of games at 2RW. Roslovic just didn't produce enough to justify a promotion. It's akin to, but not quite as extreme, as people saying with full hindsight that William Karlsson should have been tried at #1C in Columbus, despite not scoring in his last half season with the club.

I suspect Roslovic wouldn't have been great in a 2C role with those great Jets forwards around. I think he needs to be a big fish in the pond.
That's a perfect comparable.

Reactions: Doggy

HHel

Feb 26, 2018
Jack played most of his games in RW on 2nd and 3th line. Only real opportunity he got at C was with Appleton and Harkins and they were great.

TOI was limited, but still.

TOI 38:03, CF 37, CA 33, HDCF 11, HDCA 4, GF 3, GA 1

There was chance to put him with Ehlers and Laine to get a look, when Little was hurt, but Maurice didn't do it.

I hope he continues his great performs and will be great player for Jackets for a long time.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Excellent interview by Jack last night 2/10 on 97.1. Jody Shelley was doing the interview so there wasn't any real hard hitting questions but Jack said something to the effect of being a Jet he went to the playoffs every year, and you learn something from being around great players. Gave all credit to the Jets team & system. I was very impressed by his sincerity & his charisma. He will be a great home town hero for the Jackets!!!

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
H is so shifty, very good hands and he's just always seems to make the right play. There were times tonight where he was just in the O zone keeping possession by himself with no help. Dude is a player

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
Did anyone see the specific play he made to himself late in the 3rd where he was on the right wall in the offensive zone with a defender draped all over him, he passed it to himself off the board to escape the defender. It’s subtle plays like that, that I notice that leave me pleased.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
He is so shifty

I was going to post the other day that he is "nifty", and the CBJ have had very few nifty players. Most of their goal scorers have been the Nash/Boone/RJ/RyJo, big guy type. But he's like Bread, he's like (the good parts) Zherdev, Ray Whitney.

If he was a football player, he would be the running back who stops on a dime to make you miss. He's not Travis Henry. He's Alvin Kamara.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
This trade doesn't look too good for Winnipeg now.

Didn't look too good in the first moment, doesn't look good for now. But obviously it ain't over till the fat lady sings. Who knows if PLD turns out to be a Bergeron with Crosby offence, Roslovic ends up as a 0.5PPG player and Laine signs somewhere else. But for now, it's even Roslo > PLD + 3rd && Laine > PLD + 3rd.

PLD did show some good moments on his both first games for the Jets, but obviously he needs to do better than 0+0=0.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Starting to think Roslovic was the key to the deal.

I think he was. To me it seems that while he is obviously playing in some euphoric streak now, he is so good that he could still be a consistent top-6 player even in the longer term.

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
Paul Maurice have his favorites (Wheeler, Scheifele and Connor). Roslovic didn't get even a fair shot in Jets. Maurice tends to under use his young players. Even now he plays his best winger only 15 min per night.

Only problem with Roslovic is that he only have 2 year deal. Jarmo needs to pay him a lot when time comes.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Perhaps more important than ice time is that the way Roslovic plays, I don't think it would sit well with Maurice. Tortorella seems to allow for more offensive creativity and freedom. I doubt anyone could play like Roslovic with Maurice as their coach. Maurice would probably make Patrick Kane play system hockey also.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Perhaps more important than ice time is that the way Roslovic plays, I don't think it would sit well with Maurice. Tortorella seems to allow for more offensive creativity and freedom. I doubt anyone could play like Roslovic with Maurice as their coach. Maurice would probably make Patrick Kane play system hockey also.
Are we talking about the same Torts. He and Maurice sounds like twins.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Paul Maurice have his favorites (Wheeler, Scheifele and Connor). Roslovic didn't get even a fair shot in Jets. Maurice tends to under use his young players. Even now he plays his best winger only 15 min per night.

Only problem with Roslovic is that he only have 2 year deal. Jarmo needs to pay him a lot when time comes.
How is this a problem? If Rosie plays to a bigger contract Jarmo will be more than happy to pay him and fans will be happy to watch him for years to come.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
How is this a problem? If Rosie plays to a bigger contract Jarmo will be more than happy to pay him and fans will be happy to watch him for years to come.

Also while there kind of aren't "hometown discounts" in the NHL, Rosie might just accept a minor discount to be here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad