Jack Eichel

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Certainly still intriguing, but I don't want to be one of those teams that rushes a rebuild and overreaches for opportunity. (like the Leafs)

I'd rather just keep the draft picks and good prospects, develop them, and see where Yzerman can take this. As a fan, I've already conceded the fact that it will be a long rebuild, but I'd rather have it be long and done right than rushed and done incorrectly.

That said, if Yzerman can pull off another patented Yzer-trade where the cost is low enough, then I'm all for the speculation.

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
I’m going to be honest I want nothing to do with eichel, the fact he wants a surgery instead of rehabbing when all of the doctors say surgery is a bad idea is very concerning. Plus it would gut our prospects to trade for him, and all around I can see him being happy to move from one dumpster fire team to a rebuilding one who is currently a dumpster fire.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Certainly still intriguing, but I don't want to be one of those teams that rushes a rebuild and overreaches for opportunity. (like the Leafs)

I'd rather just keep the draft picks and good prospects, develop them, and see where Yzerman can take this. As a fan, I've already conceded the fact that it will be a long rebuild, but I'd rather have it be long and done right than rushed and done incorrectly.

That said, if Yzerman can pull off another patented Yzer-trade where the cost is low enough, then I'm all for the speculation.
Dream scenario for me would be acquiring Eichel. He takes next year to recover from back surgery and comes back 100%. Detroit continues to suck and wins the lottery next year (that's how you know it's a dream).
Vrana - Larkin - Zadina
Bertuzzi - Eichel - Berggren (back surgery line)
Raymond - Wright - Fabbri
Veleno - Ras - Glendening

Werenski - Seider
DK - Hronek
Whoever - whoever

Reactions: evolutionbaby

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Dream scenario for me would be acquiring Eichel. He takes next year to recover from back surgery and comes back 100%. Detroit continues to suck and wins the lottery next year (that's how you know it's a dream).
Vrana - Larkin - Zadina

Werenski - Seider
DK - Hronek
Whoever - whoever
Eichel doesn't have a back issue, he has a herniated disc in his neck which is probably far worse then the back.

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
Vrana - Larkin - Zadina

Werenski - Seider
DK - Hronek
Whoever - whoever
I know you said dream scenario, but come on....you are looking at some combo of Raymond, Zadina, Bert, Berggren, Fabbri or Veleno (at least 2, maybe 3 of them) plus a 1st this year or next just to get Eichel in the building. That's why it is absolutely not worth trading for him.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
This would be the year to make a play for Eichel if Yzerman was so inclined. A surplus of draft selections are in hand and Eichel's injury and discontent with Buffalo could provide better prospects for the other team at the negotiation table. Still thinking highly unlikely.

Reactions: Ricelund

JoesuffP

Feb 3, 2016
That contract and injury should drastically lower his value and if not stay far away. This makes no sense for the wings. This is what desperate rebuilding teams do when they just want people to go to games

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
This is what desperate...teams do when they just want people to go to games
Dead horse alert!

i-know-what-this-team-needs-dan-cleary.jpg

Reactions: Realgud

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
The injury and the contract I think are huge negatives for his trade value. Add to that his obvious discontent with Buffalo and I think Eichel goes for a lot lower than what people think. Now if the price is low enough, yeah I'd prob go for it, but I still think it is going to be more than Stevie wants to pay. More than that, I don't think its a chance Illitch is probably going to take. A 60 mil investment is a lot in any player, but this is especially true when he has a pretty major injury that could significantly impact his future playing ability.

I actually think Stevie could be more interested in a guy like Sam Reinhart if he thinks he can play center.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

Riiiiight.

This link shows that one year ago they gutted their staff, with a total of 22 firings and specifically reducing the scouting department from 21 people down to 7:

In the end, the Buffalo Sabres fired 22 different people

And this link is the current team staff, showing that in the 12 months since, they only went back up to a scouting department of 9:

Staff Directory // TEAM

Forgive me if I'm skeptical about Buffalo having an edge in player evaluations.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
I think it’s worth calling them to see if they want our draft capital for Eichel. I don’t think it gets the deal done, but if you can get a deal done using picks in 2021 and nothing else, it’s a gamble worth taking.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I think the return will not be anywhere close to what people think.. it rarely ever is

I'd say they get a 2021 1st, a solid but not spectacular prospect, a B level prospect and a 2022 2nd

There's only a few exceptions to the rule, but if you are trading the best player in the deal then you're automatically the loser.

Like I said before, I'm expecting a Joe Thornton level or worse return for Eichel.

EDIT: Who are the modern equivalents of Brad Stuart, Marco Sturm and Wayne Primeau on the same team?

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
...Didn't Buffalo also you know...fire a bunch of scouts and have entire countries left unscouted?

Did they just buy the black book instead?

Yep. Kevyn Adams needs an A on this exam and sounds confident of getting one, but by all accounts he hasn't studied very much.

I think this is a draft where a shrewd front office could find a lot of value, but does anyone really believe that Buffalo of all teams is ahead of the curve here?

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
There's only a few exceptions to the rule, but if you are trading the best player in the deal then you're automatically the loser.

Like I said before, I'm expecting a Joe Thornton level or worse return for Eichel.

EDIT: Who are the modern equivalents of Brad Stuart, Marco Sturm and Wayne Primeau on the same team?
Hronek, Bertuzzi, and Rasmussen.

:D

Honestly, I think that's pretty close to Stuart, Sturm, and Primeau.

Last edited:
Reactions: jfrank21

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad