Jack Eichel

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I normally don’t start these kind of threads but Eichel is a top 10 forward in the game. He is a major building block. Based on recent reports, Eichel’s time in Buffalo is likely over. Obviously we should have interest, but how much should we pay?

Thread on the trade board is seeking a top line player, 1st + 2 top prospects. I’m not sure they get that value but either way he won’t be cheap.

I pulled the Karlsson trade for reference as he was the most recent superstar I could think of that was traded.

Ottawa received forwards Chris Tierney and Rudolfs Balcers, defenseman Dylan DeMelo, the rights to unsigned forward Joshua Norris, a first-round pick in the 2019 NHL Draft or 2020 NHL Draft, a second-round pick in the 2019 draft, and two conditional draft picks.

I’m sure the trade market will be highly competitive but
my question is how much should we be willing to pay?

I ask this because from a team building perspective you still need to have some pieces to build around. Obviously Eichel won’t be cheap so what are your best offers?

Reactions: 14ari13

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
To me it's too risky. He's just going from one struggling franchise where he's been unhappy to another, there's no guarantee he'll make our team good enough to compete without adding a lot more to what we already have. I think it's too risky and who's to say he'll be content with staying here when it's his turn at free agency. I'm sure they would want Larkin in return (why give up a quality center without getting one back) and then some.

Let someone else pay the cost.

Reactions: golffuul

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Nothing TBH

Buffalo will get a Seider level prospect or young player to which we have none, without moving Seider.

We all know that to be true on both counts

LA could offer up Byfield
NYR could offer up Lafereniere

Nobody could match those offers and neither of those teams would blink an eye in doing so

The biggest sore spot is that in doing so Buffalo will be worse than us and again likely land one if not three more top 3 picks in the coming three drsfts

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
How close is a foundation of Bertuzzi, Zadina, and a 1st?

Obviously Seider and Raymond are going to be the asks from any team. I'd wager Seider is non-negotiable, even for Eichel. As for Raymond, sure, but not with Bert and the 1st as well.

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015

Obviously Seider and Raymond are going to be the asks from any team. I'd wager Seider is non-negotiable, even for Eichel. As for Raymond, sure, but not with Bert and the 1st as well.

If I'm Buffalo I think I need a center back, otherwise I have Mittelstadt and Cozens as potential 1C? Cozens might get there someday, but probably too young to fill that role already. Don't know if we have the package they'd need in return.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
They ask for Larkin (rightfully so) ++ and I don't think Yzerman is willing to gut the prospect pool even for someone like Eichel.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Nothing TBH

Buffalo will get a Seider level prospect or young player to which we have none, without moving Seider.

Nobody could match those offers and neither of those teams would blink an eye in doing so

People always say this but then these guys never go for that kind of value. The Karlsson trade is a nice example above. During all the trade talks on this forum fans were projecting the sun and the moon for him, but ultimately it was a nice but not former #1 overall picks going back.

Eichel carries many of the same injury concerns people had about Karlsson.

The return could be great, but I don't see a team like LA giving up Byfield in what could easily be them making a lateral move for the older player.

Laf makes a ton of sense, mainly because he failed to live up to his draft billing thus far, but if I'm Buffalo I'm pretty scared he's bolting to Montreal before your rebuild is over.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018

I would do that if it's Washington's first.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
If I'm Buffalo I think I need a center back, otherwise I have Mittelstadt and Cozens as potential 1C? Cozens might get there someday, but probably too young to fill that role already. Don't know if we have the package they'd need in return.

If you have a young 1C to trade back, in addition to another prospect and a 1st round pick... why are you acquiring Eichel?

This seems to only work if you're a near contender already and now the picks being moved are far less valuable.

Like on paper I get his value but how often does that actually happen?

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Nothing TBH

The biggest sore spot is that in doing so Buffalo will be worse than us and again likely land one if not three more top 3 picks in the coming three drsfts

I doubt either team will send a potentially a bigger star in return.

Bertuzzi, Zadina, Raymond and 1st and even this might not be good enough.
I too doubt strongly Yzerman would move Seider.
Vrana, Zadina, Raymond and 1st

Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
I’d give up anyone not named Larkin or Seider.

That probably rules us out but who knows. I think for the first time in forever we have a lot of value at our disposal outside of the two I mentioned: 2021 1st, Raymond, Hronek, Bertuzzi, Fabbri, Vrana, Veleno, Rasmussen, etc

Edit: forgot Zadina lol

Last edited:

Ratatoskr

May 27, 2004
Germany
Eichel just doesn't fit Detroit's timeline. When the Wings hit their window, he'll be a year or two from UFA. There's no way Yzerman will give up Seider or a lottery pick in either the Wright/Lambert or the Bedard/Michkov draft, and I doubt the Sabres would trade Eichel for less (say, Larkin, Berggren and a 2nd or some such).

Reactions: golffuul

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Detroit having two 1st round picks in this Draft is interesting, if i was Detroit fan i honestly wouldn’t mind giving up both in order to keep Seider and Raymond.

Larkin+1st+1st for Eichel

Don’t know wether Buffalo would accept that tho.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
People always say this but then these guys never go for that kind of value. The Karlsson trade is a nice example above. During all the trade talks on this forum fans were projecting the sun and the moon for him, but ultimately it was a nice but not former #1 overall picks going back.

Eichel carries many of the same injury concerns people had about Karlsson.

The return could be great, but I don't see a team like LA giving up Byfield in what could easily be them making a lateral move for the older player.

Laf makes a ton of sense, mainly because he failed to live up to his draft billing thus far, but if I'm Buffalo I'm pretty scared he's bolting to Montreal before your rebuild is over.

No you're right in some respects. Posters almost always over state the return and EK is a good comparable.

I suppose I just think JE is a better player moving forward and felt like EK was never going to repeat in SJ what he did in Ottawa.

LA is stacked down the middle. Byfield is not going to be JE unless all the moons and stars align perfectly. I would make that move in a heartbeat if I were LA.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

What?
JE is a top 10 forward in the NHL.

Come on now man.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario

if we trade a lottery eligible first (e.g. not a late one like Washington's) in 2022 or 2023 this franchise deserves to be bad for another decade+

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

Nowhere close. You can ask, because why not, but I think that offer is in Saginaw, MI and a winning offer is in Philadelphia, PA.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Quick question: what does everyone make of the laundry list of injuries/surgeries Eichel has talked about having/needing? Off the top of my head he has

-a herniated disk in his neck that he wants to have surgery to "fix"
-an abdominal injury that may also require surgery
-a broken rib that hasn't healed
- anything else?

The injury issues along with the season Eichel just had while playing with those injury issues makes me think Buffalo is going to have a damn hard time getting serious value for Eichel. Maybe I'm alone on this but I'd be hesitant to deal anything significant with those injury issues up in the air. I mean, just look at the conversation we've been having about Bert and how his spinal surgery could affect his career. Now put a $10m + trade asset price tag on Bert.

I think Bench's offer of Bert/Zadina/1st is pretty close to what I'd want to offer for Eichel right now. If we're looking to swing that sort of deal...even then I'd be curious what else we could pull elsewhere with those pieces on the table. Neck and abdominal injuries don't make Winger happy when looking at trading for a guy.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

You got to be kidding us, Yeah let's just give away all of our top potential scorers, So Eichel has no one to feed the puck to. In good times you're looking at potentially 80+ goals between those 3

Avery Rule

Jun 1, 2010
Wouldn't it be funny for them to trade JE do horrible finish last again only to lose the lottery again to select #2 in the Wright draft.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Nowhere close. You can ask, because why not, but I think that offer is in Saginaw, MI and a winning offer is in Philadelphia, PA.

We'll see. Any other potential top 5 picks going their way? These trades are usually underwhelming returns from expectations.

Eichel will also have say in where he goes, seeing as he's forcing his way out of Buffalo. Nobody is going to trade for a malcontent player that's going to be just as miserable at his new home. Any team will be vetted by his camp, make no mistake. A lack of a NTC here is a formality when you're talking a player of this stature.

Everyone thought Ottawa didn't get great value but then suddenly they had Stuetzle (from that trade) and Sanderson in one sweep and look much better off today.

Confirmed Trade: - [OTT/SJ] Erik Karlsson and Francis Perron for Tierney, DeMelo, Norris, Balcers, 1st, 2nd, cdnl picks

Lots of laughing at Ottawa for the return. Lots of expectations San Jose had to give up someone like Hertl.

I've lived this history too many times.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->