Player Discussion Jack Eichel - Switching from #15 to #9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
The only thing not surprising is that you would be the first to believe such rumors.

Obviously. I see a spoiled bratty selfish wanna be super star who has avoided every single bit of ownership of the disaster he's been a big part of... while everyone around him continues to take the fall.

So yea... that rumor aligns with what I see.

I hope they give the Captaincy to someone else... and make him earn something for once in his career.

Reactions: MATTHEWSisGretzky

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
or maybe he's been a big part of the problem all along

First twenty games of last season he was primary assist or goal scorer in 92% of the team's total goals.

And you want to blame him? ha, he was far from the problem. He had every right to bitch at veterans like ROR who didn't show up.

BuffaloGooner

Sep 8, 2011
Sloan, NY
Obviously. I see a spoiled bratty selfish wanna be super star who has avoided every single bit of ownership of the disaster he's been a big part of... while everyone around him continues to take the fall.

I hope they give the Captaincy to someone else... and make him earn something for once in his career.
Lmao the bias is unwavering here

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011

I normally think you’re out to lunch on Eichel, but after the ROR trade he needs to earn his place if this team is going to win anything meaningful.

Whining and pouting after games doesn’t accomplish shit, he needs to become a complete 200 ft player.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
St Louis beat reporter was on WGR this morning and Jeremy White brought up 'vague' reports about issues between ROR and Eichel. Here's what he had to say. And I posted something similar here a while ago from a guy who claims he has inside sources but a mod deleted it.

I talk to players that play with O'Reilly and I can see Eichel uh you know he got the big contract. Ryan O'Reilly wouldn't be the first one who's probably a little frustrated with Jack Eichel. I've heard that from some other veterans who've been there the last few years and I think Eichel will figure things out, the more he comes along as an NHL player and the more experience he gets but from talking to other players who've played with O'Reilly they rave about his leadership skills in terms of being a role model for younger players and the work ethic he brings to the rink every day.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016

And who's Robin to Eichel's Batman? The 2nd overall pick who got benched by Murray for being late to a meeting and was anything but contrite about it.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Andy Strickland on wgr talking about vets around the league having a “problem” with Eichel, whatever that means.
I call bullsheet.

First if you aren't on the sabres who the hell cares what the "vets" around the league think
Secondly, Avalanche players were not happy with RoR and his contract tactics and distractions and now RoR is on his

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I wouldn't say that.

It is all about timing. Stamkos wasn't rushed to be the captain in Tampa.

Modano and the C was an interesting path to follow.

Look at how long it took for Gilbert to get the C here.

I would rather that they wait until Eichel is more than ready for the C than to just give it to him now.
It's different if there is already a captain or some veteran is holding the spot until it's time.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
St Louis beat reporter was on WGR this morning and Jeremy White brought up 'vague' reports about issues between ROR and Eichel. Here's what he had to say. And I posted something similar here a while ago from a guy who claims he has inside sources but a mod deleted it.

we are so f***ed

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
I thought it was the guy who had his clothes thrown in the shower

Whatever it is we will definitely find out this year.

Reinhart is part of it. They are best friends on the team and both 2nd overall picks with the same background, stud hockey playing kids. I've heard Reinhart was an ahole in Kootenay, lots of junior hockey stars are, the stories are always out there in the small towns and cities where junior teams are the biggest thing in town.

I hated seeing Reinhart on Bogosian's Instagram, he's got a past. Look who Eichel and Reinhart gravitated to among veterans, not solid citizens like Brian Gionta and Josh Gorges but Evander Kane and Zach Bogosian. They are snot nosed 'bros'.

Reactions: Icicle

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Reinhart is part of it. They are best friends on the team and both 2nd overall picks with the same background, stud hockey playing kids. I've heard Reinhart was an ahole in Kootenay, lots of junior hockey stars are, the stories are always out there in the small towns and cities where junior teams are the biggest thing in town.

I hated seeing Reinhart on Bogosian's Instagram, he's got a past. Look who Eichel and Reinhart gravitated to among veterans, not solid citizens like Brian Gionta and Josh Gorges but Evander Kane and Zach Bogosian. They are snot nosed 'bros'.
There is also lots of reporting that Reinhart is a great guy so you can go either way with rumors...

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
There is also lots of reporting that Reinhart is a great guy so you can go either way with rumors...

Eichel's great with kids, Reinhart's a good kid but we're talking about them in the context of the hockey team, their co-workers/peers. Whether they're great guys in the community or great sons/brothers doesn't mean anything to us - it's how they fit in as members of the Buffalo Sabres.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I don't think there's any insight to be had from the fans on who is a leader or where the culture problems are.

I think we just wait and watch the team. And if we see a team that is highly inconsistent and lazy at critical times, we know the culture is still broken. They were more talented than their results got them last year. They could be again. Let's watch and judge what they do.

I'm at least glad that, in the abstract, Botterill took to heart the task of changing the room. I don't like how he did it, but it remains to be seen if he improved the culture.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I call bullsheet.

First if you aren't on the sabres who the hell cares what the "vets" around the league think
Secondly, Avalanche players were not happy with RoR and his contract tactics and distractions and now RoR is on his
Its almost as if you go thru life covering your ears and screaming lalalala when you don't want to hear something that may have truth and then deflect it onto someone else stating that person is a cancer without any actual evidence to back it up except for speculation and trying to read between the lines.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I think that the powers that be are trying to keep up with the Joneses and give Eichel the C because McDavid got the C in Edmonton and because Crosby got the C in Pittsburgh.

My belief is that the best leader should be the captain and not the most talented player.
I don't actually care who the C is I just don't like going without a captain with Eichel here. It just leads to questions. Give it to Okposo. No problem with that.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
I don't actually care who the C is I just don't like going without a captain with Eichel here. It just leads to questions. Give it to Okposo. No problem with that.

They gave him $10 million to be the face of the franchise, and they moved O'Reilly in a "get out of the way" move. It's time to stop beating around the bush. This is Jack's team, for better or worse. Lending any ambiguity to that would only create problems.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
They gave him $10 million to be the face of the franchise, and they moved O'Reilly in a "get out of the way" move. It's time to stop beating around the bush. This is Jack's team, for better or worse. Lending any ambiguity to that would only create problems.

I don't like giving the C to kids who haven't earned it, but in this case, it might be the play. Because somebody needs to make very clear to him that he is responsible for this team. And slapping the C on his chest might be as much a kick in the ass as a pat on the shoulder in that case.

The big weaknesses on the team next year are going to be top 4 D and top 6 forwards. The depth is not going to be the excuse anymore. Jack is going to have to play more defensive minutes and make his line look good with only serviceable wingers. Jack is going to have to set the tone for 22 other guys in terms of effort and preparation. If he blows it, let him blow it with the C on his chest and the expectations in his lap.

And maybe he just takes that recognition and raises his game to meet it.

Reactions: Gabrielor

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I don't like giving the C to kids who haven't earned it, but in this case, it might be the play. Because somebody needs to make very clear to him that he is responsible for this team. And slapping the C on his chest might be as much a kick in the ass as a pat on the shoulder in that case.

The big weaknesses on the team next year are going to be top 4 D and top 6 forwards. The depth is not going to be the excuse anymore. Jack is going to have to play more defensive minutes and make his line look good with only serviceable wingers. Jack is going to have to set the tone for 22 other guys in terms of effort and preparation. If he blows it, let him blow it with the C on his chest and the expectations in his lap.

And maybe he just takes that recognition and raises his game to meet it.

I agree. We’re in deep on this bet. You have to keep going.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Yeah, we are indeed f***ed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad