Jack Eichel Pt. 12 "Isn't it a Pittis"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I don't think this thing stretching on indefinitely is a great look, and might have negative effects on morale, or on perceptions of the org. by players around the league.

No problems with morale with who is left in the current Sabres locker room. Every players looks like they have bought into what Granato and Adam has sold them. None of them seem like they are too down about Jack sitting.

As for players around the league: winning solves everything.

Fun fact: Lehner is one of five people Jack is following on twitter.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
If Colorado was basically told to pound salt, then who knows if they would have added Newhook or not?

Based on widespread rumors, we know that Vegas has been unwilling to offer up Krebs. We know that Anaheim & LA won't.

And not giving Adams permission to have the option to retain seems to have scared at least one team off from bidding. That is unfortunate as I would hope that any option to increase the return on the trade would be on the table. But, I guess not.

Added Newhook to what? There was no trade in the works.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012

Today's Podcast. Eichel talk starts at 14:30.

Largely a recap of what he previously reported, but some interesting commentary on KA being patient.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Probably

2022 1st Higher of Mtl/Col
2 highest 2022 2nds
Conditional 2023 1st based on games played in 22/23
Kessel - We flip at the deadline if we want
Prospect A/B
It seems a little different from what Adams was asking. Also not sure if Kessel would want to go to Buffalo. I'm just not sure if Arizona will be in this mix, only if as a third team to retain salary.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
It seems a little different from what Adams was asking. Also not sure if Kessel would want to go to Buffalo. I'm just not sure if Arizona will be in this mix, only if as a third team to retain salary.
Kessel is UFA after this season so he's probably going somewhere as a rental regardless.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Since it appears that it is a non-starter for the Sabres, we will never really know.
I love this logic because its based on premise pulled out of thin air. That teams would give us a stud young player if we retained only 1-2mil.

Why would any team give up so much (Stud young prospect) for so little (1-2mil in cap savings)? Keep in mind this would be on top of whatever was involved in the trade to acquire just Jack.

I also love the assumption that any retention ask by other teams would just be a light touch of 1-2 mil. Teams are being so considerate in this hypothetical.

You know what would actually land us a hell of a return? 50% retention. It would greatly expand the teams involved and make it much easier for a futures heavy return. No I don’t think that’s going to happen. Nor do I want it to. We don’t need to carry 5mil in dead cap space over the next 4 seasons.

Last edited:

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover

Should have stopped at "I Know it's Mercyhurst"

Solid prospect has good weekend against overmatched competition. I'm a big supporter of looking at Ryan Johnson for the player he is and lot because of how they got this pick or because of who else was available. To me, he's looked very solid and has grown in confidence, performance, and scoring year over year. Looking forward to seeing play out the season - which should be a very competitive one. Johnson was picked to be a second team all Big10 defenseman in the Big10's preseason poll.

Reactions: Jim Bob

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I love this logic because its based on premise pulled out of thin air. That teams would give us a stud young player if we retained only 1-2mil.

Why would any team give up so much (Stud young prospect) for so little (1-2mil in cap savings)? Keep in mind this would be on top of whatever was involved in the trade to acquire just Jack.

I also love the assumption that any retention ask by other teams would just be a light touch of 1-2 mil. Teams are being so considerate in this hypothetical.

You know what would actually land us a hell of a return? 50% retention. It would greatly expand the teams involved and make it much easier for a futures heavy return. No I don’t think that’s going to happen. Nor do I want it to. We don’t need to carry 5mil in dead cap space over the next 4 seasons.

I never said that they would.

The point is that it is dumb to take any option that has the potential of increasing the return completely off the table.

Whether it is retaining salary or trading Eichel to a team in the Eastern Conference or Atlantic Division or anything else, none of it should be a non-starter to talks.

Once you get talks started, then you negotiate and take an offer that makes the most sense. Having non-starters could mean that you may never get to hear another team's best offer.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I never said that they would.

The point is that it is dumb to take any option that has the potential of increasing the return completely off the table.

Whether it is retaining salary or trading Eichel to a team in the Eastern Conference or Atlantic Division or anything else, none of it should be a non-starter to talks.

Once you get talks started, then you negotiate and take an offer that makes the most sense. Having non-starters could mean that you may never get to hear another team's best offer.

We aren't all the calls with Adams right, so everything we hear is rumor.

But what have we heard?

Colorado called, told no to retaining salary, no discussion

Teams asked for medical info earlier this year, Adams asked for a 'serious offer' first....discussion killed.

This is starting to feel like Adams is the guy on craigslist saying "No Lowballs, I Know what I've got" and trying to make a trade work that way, which might be why things have dragged out so long.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Yes, but there seems to be news that he wants to be in a contender.
Kessel s cap is 6.8 Mil, at the deadline hes probably gonna be 50% retained, but if the Yotes retain 50% and sends him to us and then we retain 50% on whats left then there are a lot more options cap wise for contenders to pick him up.

Reactions: JesterCheese

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Kessel s cap is 6.8 Mil, at the deadline hes probably gonna be 50% retained, but if the Yotes retain 50% and sends him to us and then we retain 50% on whats left then there are a lot more options cap wise for contenders to pick him up.
Reasonable, but I still don't believe Arizona will do this. They are rebuilding.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

That would make so many fans around the league happy.

But, Jack and Bogo could rehab together...

:sarcasm:

So AVS is gone.

Bergevin is unpredictable, but they don't have many interesting parts and they won't trade Suzuki.

Tampa has almost nothing to offer for Eichel, only if Cirelli+, although after two seasons he ends his contract and is eligible for arbitration.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
So AVS is gone.

Bergevin is unpredictable, but they don't have many interesting parts and they won't trade Suzuki.

Tampa has almost nothing to offer for Eichel, only if Cirelli+, although after two seasons he ends his contract and is eligible for arbitration.

The TB thing was a joke, I suspect.

Even for giggles, there is no way that they are putting Cirelli in a deal. Point and Cirelli are their version of Drury and Briere at center.

Their offer would likely be Seabrook's contract plus futures from a list like Finley, Goncalves, Thompson, Miftakhov, and 1st(s).

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
The TB thing was a joke, I suspect.

Even for giggles, there is no way that they are putting Cirelli in a deal. Point and Cirelli are their version of Drury and Briere at center.

Their offer would likely be Seabrook's contract plus futures from a list like Finley, Goncalves, Thompson, Miftakhov, and 1st(s).
Well yes, it was probably a joke. Their futures have absolutely no such value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad