Jack Eichel Pt. 12 "Isn't it a Pittis"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Sabres fans want a trade to happen yesterday because this dragging on and on and on is not good for the player, the team, the fans, or the league.

It’s only good for the talking heads who get to talk about this forever.
I could care less if Eichel sat at home all season as long as the Sabres get a solid haul when he is traded.

Butt Ox

Oct 24, 2006
Luddite Island
Lose-lose situation. I don't see why either party would agree to terminate the contract.
That route is only slightly better than the "let Eichel rot for five years" idea.
I agree, it does nothing for the organization. The Sabre can push the we just want what is best for Jack and the organization angle. Eichel can get whatever surgery he desires and then pursue a new contract. The Kevyns Adam can concentrate on the current roster and upward trajectory. Bales can hope for the best. TPegs can stay out of the Sabre and bring the Lombardi to the 716. Other organizations are free to court future HHoFer Eichel without taking the Sabre to the shed via trade. Media pundits spin the outcome as negatively as possible.

Works for me.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Hmmm.... winners and losers in trades.....

I'm betting that the yer average everyday hockey fan can't name who Gretzky, Hasek or Esposito was traded for.

Hell, I can barely remember who O'Reilly was traded for... lol.

So just add Eichel to the list?

Or let him have the surgery he wants and remain a Sabre. He'll come around.........

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
The longer this drags out, the Sabres are retaining 100% of Eichel's contract and getting nothing to help the team either on the ice or in the pipeline.

We are all just spit balling without knowing what the offers are.

The 50% retention talk is crazy. But like has been mentioned before, if retaining $1-2M per means that Colorado puts Newhook in a deal when Vegas won't include Krebs, Anaheim won't put Zegras or MacTavish on the table, and LA won't put Byfield or Turcotte in the deal, then you have to consider it.

I get preferring to take back contracts that will expire long before retention will. But, no option to maximize the return should be off the table if building the team for the long term is the goal.

But thats the thing. The report with us not retaining salary is about talks that never got off the ground. The AVs asked if we would be willing to retain , we said no and things stopped there. There was no ‘you could get Newhook if you retain’ to speculate about.

I’m also curious why you think young players/prospects viewed as untouchable swould suddenly become available for something as little as 1-2mil retained?

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

Jimmybarndoor2

Jul 24, 2021
Sabres fans want a trade to happen yesterday because this dragging on and on and on is not good for the player, the team, the fans, or the league.

It’s only good for the talking heads who get to talk about this forever.
I can only speak for myself and I am a Sabres fan, but I don’t care how long the Eichel trade takes either.

Are you a spokesman for “The Sabres fans”. Is that an elected position?? Most of us only speak for ourselves

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
I can only speak for myself and I am a Sabres fan, but I don’t care how long the Eichel trade takes either.

Are you a spokesman for “The Sabres fans”. Is that an elected position?? Most of us only speak for ourselves

I'm kind of on both sides.

I don't think this thing stretching on indefinitely is a great look, and might have negative effects on morale, or on perceptions of the org. by players around the league.

But the most important thing is the return on the trade. If the Sabres can get even close to a fair return for a superstar franchise center, but they have to wait until next summer to get that return, then they should wait. Even if it takes that long. But if the offers aren't going to get much better than what's on the table now, Adams would be better to try get this done soon so everyone can move on.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
But thats the thing. The report with us not retaining salary is about talks that never got off the ground. The AVs asked if we would be willing to retain , we said no and things stopped there. There was no ‘you could get Newhook if you retain’ to speculate about.

I’m also curious why you think young players/prospects viewed as untouchable swould suddenly become available for something as little as 1-2mil retained?

Because 2 million retained could mean a Stanley Cup roster for the other team. Look at all the teams in cap hell right now.

Reactions: Jimmybarndoor2

Jimmybarndoor2

Jul 24, 2021
I'm kind of on both sides.

I don't think this thing stretching on indefinitely is a great look, and might have negative effects on morale, or on perceptions of the org. by players around the league.

But the most important thing is the return on the trade. If the Sabres can get even close to a fair return for a superstar franchise center, but they have to wait until next summer to get that return, then they should wait. Even if it takes that long. But if the offers aren't going to get much better than what's on the table now, Adams would be better to try get this done soon so everyone can move on.
I am only replying to the generic “all Sabres fans”. I get exactly the opposite from the fans that I know who could care less about how long this takes

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
They have 3 1sts and 5 2nds in the 22 draft right now, I'm sure they could spare a pick or two.
But this is not enough, we need players in return. I don’t know if they’ll be ready to trade Guenther + 1st +.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
But this is not enough, we need players in return. I don’t know if they’ll be ready to trade Guenther + 1st +.

I'd rather '22 1sts. Do we need immediate roster players? Not really. The team has started hot but at a certain point they're going to falter. This is not a playoff squad, so take the lotto tickets, get rid of a headache and 10m on the books, and call it a day.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Probably

2022 1st Higher of Mtl/Col
2 highest 2022 2nds
Conditional 2023 1st based on games played in 22/23
Kessel - We flip at the deadline if we want
Prospect A/B

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Because 2 million retained could mean a Stanley Cup roster for the other team. Look at all the teams in cap hell right now.
Yes and 1-2mil would do nothing to help the majority of them. Only one are Cup champs. Suggesting 1-2mil would mean anything when Tampa was so far over the upper limit isn’t silly.

The idea that retaining 1-2mil would net us a stud player/prospect is message board fantasy. As is the idea that saving 1-2mil in cap space could be the difference between putting a Cup roster together or not.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018

These tweets confirm what I've always believed - I'm sure they came from the Pegula's There is no love loss between Eichel and the Pagulas / Adams and there will be no rush to make Eichel's life better by forcing a trade.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Yes and 1-2mil would do nothing to help the majority of them. Only one are Cup champs. Suggesting 1-2mil would mean anything when Tampa was so far over the upper limit isn’t silly.

The idea that retaining 1-2mil would net us a stud player/prospect is message board fantasy. As is the idea that saving 1-2mil in cap space could be the difference between putting a Cup roster together or not.

It might net us Krebs? Vegas is stupid tight to the cap. Vegas doesn't have any cap dumps to dump either.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
It isn't like Hey we want to trade Jack and retain salary haha teepee

If its requested, its, OK but whats the offer.

The biggest against would be the Pegulas shooting it down. Which it why it won't happen.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

I did not say "The" or "All" in front of Sabres fans. I was talking about the segment of fans that are over this whole thing and just want a reasonable deal to happen sooner rather than later as opposed to the segment of fans that are holding out hope that Eichel will be back as a Sabre one day or the segment of Sabres fans that want their pound of flesh and would like to see Eichel rot for the remainder of his contract.

Then there is the segment of the fanbase that has unreasonably high expectations for a trade return and want Adams to wait until an offer meets that level. I think that group will be waiting as long as the "let Eichel rot" group for resolution...

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

I’m also curious why you think young players/prospects viewed as untouchable would suddenly become available for something as little as 1-2mil retained?

If Colorado was basically told to pound salt, then who knows if they would have added Newhook or not?

Based on widespread rumors, we know that Vegas has been unwilling to offer up Krebs. We know that Anaheim & LA won't.

And not giving Adams permission to have the option to retain seems to have scared at least one team off from bidding. That is unfortunate as I would hope that any option to increase the return on the trade would be on the table. But, I guess not.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I'd rather '22 1sts. Do we need immediate roster players? Not really. The team has started hot but at a certain point they're going to falter. This is not a playoff squad, so take the lotto tickets, get rid of a headache and 10m on the books, and call it a day.

The Sabres will need immediate cap hits so that they do not fall below the cap floor once Eichel's $10M cap hit is moved out the door.

If the Sabres make a trade that drops them below the cap floor, NHL central registry will reject it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad