Player Discussion Jack Eichel, Part 4 -- Do we trade him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
Jack retiring because of failed surgery>The risk of him lighting up the league on another team

Just go through with the surgery, if his head falls off well, at least he's not on the Bruins or Rangers.

Rehab and do the proper surgery > Take a chance on an unknown surgery

Who cares how long it takes him to be healthy, do it the right way. Jack is being impatient. Needs proper guidance.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
I highly doubt the NHL is interfering with transactions to take the spotlight away from what is probably the least interesting Cup in years. But who knows...stranger things have happened.

Count me among the people who think the trade happens right around the draft. Probably in the lead-up. Buffalo already knows what packages are on the table, they just need to decide if they pull the trigger.

Suppressing news that would distract from a Stanley Cup Final is not strange.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I don't know what kind of person jack is, but people acting like this kind of stuff proof hes never been difficult is silly.

Like most people, hes probably not 100% a good or bad person
It's a reaction to our allegedly "savvy" fanbase once again getting conned like complete rubes by this wretched organization and the rancid media buffoons into participating in a campaign of character assassination instead of directing the anger at the fools we have the grave misfortune to be owned by.

jcbeze

Dec 27, 2005
I could actually see Bettman and the NHL being complicit in trying to get Eichel to the Rangers. Drieger’s comments the other day about “if the Rangers offer the best offer Adams will have to consider it” was just an off the cuff comment. Seems like a bunch of teams were in on Jack and then the insiders slowly started eliminating them till the Rags were the only one left. I would be done with the Sabres/NHL if this transpires. This just feels contrived.
You're crazy

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Jack retiring because of failed surgery>The risk of him lighting up the league on another team

Just go through with the surgery, if his head falls off well, at least he's not on the Bruins or Rangers.
The problem with going thru with the surgery is that if it doesn't work and he has to retire, then the Sabres lose everything. No trade value. No recovery of the asset value. The organization is already behind in asset quality, and cannot afford that loss. Its better to trade him now, and get 3 first round quality assets instead of 4, than to do the surgery and risk getting none.

Personally, I have never really liked his personality much, especially for a sabres captain. If you are going to remake this team and try to instill a winning culture, part of it has to be moving on from Eichel.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
My final prediction on return is....

Top 5 pick in 2021, a 2022 conditional 1st based on playing time, a middle 6 prospect, and a middle 6 forward under 25.

:popcorn:

tango71

Jun 21, 2021
I read a Journal piece about this and here's the summary:
Results: A total of 87 NHL players met the inclusion criteria; 31 underwent nonoperative care, 48 underwent a discectomy, and 8 underwent a single-level fusion. The return-to-play rate for all players was 85%. There was a significant decrease in performance in all players after a lumbar disc herniation in games played per season, points scored per game, and performance score. A comparison of the posttreatment results for the nonsurgical and surgical patient groups revealed no significant difference in performance measures. Notably, the lumbar fusion group did not show a decrease in games played per season or performance score after surgery, likely secondary to a small sample size. (Schroeder et al)

What worries me is the "significant decrease in performance " part. It seems that surgery has no advantage over rehab. Of course, every case is different . For some players such as Nathan Horton it's career ending and for others there's no drop off. Eichel's proposed surgery is novel so I don't think that it's included in these stats. But I don't think that taking a poor deal just to move on is the right move.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Rehab and do the proper surgery > Take a chance on an unknown surgery

Who cares how long it takes him to be healthy, do it the right way. Jack is being impatient. Needs proper guidance.

Thanks for that medical advice. I take it you saw his medial chart and saw how bad his spine/neck is, right?

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
I think "legit-ish" like Misty said above is the best way to describe him. He's more than likely connected to someone. He's not Eklund that literally pulls things from his ass. But his connection isn't super reliable.

I recall a few things that he has mentioned in the past that came to pass, usually a few hours after he tweets about it. In terms of the comment about the Avs, that could be anything, even his own speculation or some kind of tie between some Avs assistant coach and Boston.

Reactions: Zman5778

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017

Hey guys, is this dude legit?

I think he knows someone that knows someone connected that he occasionally gets word from. He's broken things before.

I also think he also uses that to ponder on hints of speculation or even just plain makes some stuff up based on educated guesses sometimes.

So the answer is "sometimes. maybe."

Reactions: The Merchant

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
And then you have the wallowers that think anything Buffalo Sabres related is shit and shoudl stay shit just because Buffalo.
Your post history is the very definition of a wallflower...and yeah, a lot of things will "stay shit" in Buffalo until we get some results and that isn't going to happen overnight. Buffalo organizations have to work extra hard before the results pay off. The Bills did it. The Sabres just cannot seem to.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006

Firstly, a picture of him walking his dog after I said Jack must hate dogs because we've never seen him with one? I mean Jack must be reading my posts. So Jack, let's give Granato a shot and see what happens bud!

Secondly, if this picture was just taken then he's in Buffalo. That's a good sign I think.

Reactions: cybresabre

Jagemon

Sep 27, 2005
Your post history is the very definition of a wallflower...and yeah, a lot of things will "stay shit" in Buffalo until we get some results and that isn't going to happen overnight. Buffalo organizations have to work extra hard before the results pay off. The Bills did it. The Sabres just cannot seem to.

Reading comprehension much?

What I was saying is that just because things have been bad in the past doesn't mean they will stay bad. Case in point Adams, we just simply dont know what kind of GM he is when it comes to trades.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
Thanks for that medical advice. I take it you saw his medial chart and saw how bad his spine/neck is, right?

Um, you don't need to be a doctor to take the advice of doctors.

Legit question, why do you post on the Sabres board? You clearly aren't a Sabres fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad