Player Discussion Jack Eichel, Part 4 -- Do we trade him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
@Sabre Dance

Well, we have different time zones, when I usually go to the nearest store, then in New York or Buffalo it's probably deep night.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Would the NHL request the Sabres and other teams to keeep things quiet if a trade is agreed upon until after the Cup Funals....just to not take away the focus of the teams still playing?

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I don't take my phone when I leave the house nor do I bother paying for mobile data so it's useless outside the house.
Well, I mainly talked about the nearest store. If I go to a bank or a large supermarket where I need to buy a lot of purchases, then I take my phone with me.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Would the NHL request the Sabres and other teams to keeep things quiet if a trade is agreed upon until after the Cup Funals....just to not take away the focus of the teams still playing?

Probably not. Even though the trade isn't final until there is a trade call with the league and it's registered, it's 2021. If something happens it would leak within hours at worst.

( Shall I remind everyone of "So no Richards?" .. :) )

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
You're nuts to trade him. Just give him the coach he wants and try and keep him happy.

I don't think it's the coach that's making him unhappy. I think it's part organizational incompetence and part medical drama.

Question is -- is he using the medical stuff to force his way out? Or is this a genuine squabble that Eichel has more or less initiated?

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
I understand what you're saying.

But there's a LARGE part of me that thinks that Eichel would choose a better coach than any of the ones that the Pegulas and their GMs have chosen lately.

As true as that may be, I think it's very possible that part of the reason that this group of players has not had success is because it's been the inmates running the asylum. That's not to say that a coach shouldn't at least listen to his players, or be Mike Babcock, but at the end of the day I think you have to have someone up top laying down the law and getting everyone rowing the same direction.

I think part of the rot of the last decade has been the players having too much control, and the Pegulas enabling that.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I understand what you're saying.

But there's a LARGE part of me that thinks that Eichel would choose a better coach than any of the ones that the Pegulas and their GMs have chosen lately.
The problem is, of course, once you start letting Eichel choose the coach, next he want to choose the GM and then... It will go to his head.

TBH, I don't know how you keep Eichel happy.

Reactions: Zman5778

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Nail on Head. Eichel will never be happy.
Problem is :

Eichel doesn't know how good he has it.

As I have said before, I've been a big fish in a small pond and I've been a small fish in a big pond, and the former is always better.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Problem is :

As I have said before, I've been a big fish in a small pond and I've been a small fish in a big pond, and the former is always better.
Yeah, Jack sure is lucky to be on the worst team over the past 5 years. What more could he ask for? Too bad he doesn't see that.

The pond thing is subjective

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Yeah, Jack sure is lucky to be on the worst team over the past 5 years. What more could he ask for? Too bad he doesn't see that.

The pond thing is subjective

f*** yeah he's lucky. You know how they say you need to learn how to lose before you can win? Thanks to us the guy has a PHD in losing...

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Problem is :

Eichel has friends around the league. I'm sure he both knows the positives and the negatives to being here in Buffalo.

My guess is that he may have zero trust that the Pegulas can put together a winning team. And since he cares about winning, he expects that the chances that he has a better chance to win elsewhere may not be far fetched.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Eichel has friends around the league. I'm sure he both knows the positives and the negatives to being here in Buffalo.

My guess is that he may have zero trust that the Pegulas can put together a winning team. And since he cares about winning, he expects that the chances that he has a better chance to win elsewhere may not be far fetched.
Just ask John Tavares or Joe Thornton or Patrik Laine. ;)

Reactions: rkwittem

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018

From my experience, when you change jobs, you're just exchanging one set of problems for another.

Jack is young, arrogant and naïve. He may regret leaving.

As an old man who's seen a lot of life, my suggestion is he stay - playoffs be damned.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Perhaps he's asked Mark Stone, instead...

Or his buddy Bogosian about how things went in TB.
I'm sure there are plenty of examples on both sides.

Anyway, like I said, if I was Jack, I would stay. Life's not so bad being the Big Dog in Buffalo.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
The grass is always greener...

A generally accurate thing to say, but would you suggest that it's not warranted here? I mean WE all think the grass is greener elsewhere, why wouldn't he?

(Hell, I'm not even sure we HAVE grass anymore around here.)

Reactions: jc17

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
As true as that may be, I think it's very possible that part of the reason that this group of players has not had success is because it's been the inmates running the asylum. That's not to say that a coach shouldn't at least listen to his players, or be Mike Babcock, but at the end of the day I think you have to have someone up top laying down the law and getting everyone rowing the same direction.

I think part of the rot of the last decade has been the players having too much control, and the Pegulas enabling that.
That's a natural result of having terrible coaches. When the coach is clueless, either the team plays clueless hockey, or they stop listening to the coach and try to do it on their own. Either approach is doomed to failure. In each of the last few coaches' tenures, excluding Granato, they tried to go along with the system for awhile, realized that it wasn't working and that the coach was too incompetent or stubborn to make any changes, and then gradually stopped following the system.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
A generally accurate thing to say, but would you suggest that it's not warranted here? I mean WE all think the grass is greener elsewhere, why wouldn't he?

(Hell, I'm not even sure we HAVE grass anymore around here.)

We ripped out the grass, burnt it down to the ground, and replaced the grass with linoleum. If it works for the indoors, why not the outdoors?

Reactions: SackTastic and jc17
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad