Player Discussion Jack Eichel, Part 4 -- Do we trade him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
I have a gut feeling that if a trade isn't announced within a few days after the conclusion of the Cup Finals, the Sabres and Eichel are mending fences.

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
I have no reason to root for Buffalo getting a good return on Eichel, but a trade with Columbus would be the most beneficial for you guys imo

Think you guys should look into Bemström if you’re not sold on Texier. On the main boards it seems like a lot of your fans are after flashy prospect names but Columbus will more than likely provide the most value.

They’re desperate for a 1c. This is the team you can squeeze for that extra bit of juice.

If you can land 5th OV, Elvis, Texier/Bemström and Chinakhov for Eichel, that’s huge.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I have a gut feeling that if a trade isn't announced within a few days after the conclusion of the Cup Finals, the Sabres and Eichel are mending fences.
Why would cup matter, with the draft a few weeks away

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
Why would cup matter, with the draft a few weeks away

Maybe the NHL doesn't want any major hockey news happening to distract from the Finals?

I could see Bettman pressuring teams not to take the spotlight away, and honestly I wouldn't blame him. The Sabres signing a little known coach wouldn't draw much attention but a blockbuster trade of Jack Eichel? That would dominate hockey news for a few days.

Reactions: MillerTime

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
If he stays, think of all the time, energy and frustration that became the Jack Eichel Player Discussion thread circa spring/early summer 2021. lol He can't be moved for a bag of pucks. Maybe he can stay. Maybe he will have to stay if teams are tightening the purse strings. In a way it may motivate him that teams didn't think highly enough to move assets or motivate him in the sense that he needs to play well and stay healthy so that a team ups their offer to something respectable for a great player under contract for a handful of years.

Reactions: sabres81

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Maybe the NHL doesn't want any major hockey news happening to distract from the Finals?

I could see Bettman pressuring teams not to take the spotlight away, and honestly I wouldn't blame him. The Sabres signing a little known coach wouldn't draw much attention but a blockbuster trade of Jack Eichel? That would dominate hockey news for a few days.

I highly doubt the NHL is interfering with transactions to take the spotlight away from what is probably the least interesting Cup in years. But who knows...stranger things have happened.

Count me among the people who think the trade happens right around the draft. Probably in the lead-up. Buffalo already knows what packages are on the table, they just need to decide if they pull the trigger.

Gjwrams

A Know Nothing Fool
Mar 4, 2019
Kings fan here. I think he is staying, at least for now. The Sabres just are not going to get good value for him while hurt. I’ll be honest, I don’t think Blake would give the 8th OA, Turcotte and B prospect for Jack right now with the uncertainty, and that is an underpayment for a player of his quality.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Kings fan here. I think he is staying, at least for now. The Sabres just are not going to get good value for him while hurt. I’ll be honest, I don’t think Blake would give the 8th OA, Turcotte and B prospect for Jack right now with the uncertainty, and that is an underpayment for a player of his quality.

I don't think that's an underpayment. I think some less-than-realistic Sabres fans have posted enough delusional trades assuming that we are going to get 100 cents on the dollar that it skewed the reality. You never, ever get what you want from a star in a trade. In every major sport the norm is that the team losing the star gets less than the actual value. The idea that we somehow have the leverage to go against the tradition and be an exception to the rule is ridiculous. Kevyn Adams is our GM. We are the worst-run organization in the league. We play in a small market with a shitty economy. These are things that hurt to say but they are realities and will absolutely influence our bargaining power in a trade.

The Blunder Years

Nov 11, 2013
If he stays, think of all the time, energy and frustration that became the Jack Eichel Player Discussion thread circa spring/early summer 2021. lol He can't be moved for a bag of pucks. Maybe he can stay. Maybe he will have to stay if teams are tightening the purse strings. In a way it may motivate him that teams didn't think highly enough to move assets or motivate him in the sense that he needs to play well and stay healthy so that a team ups their offer to something respectable for a great player under contract for a handful of years.
Really good take here. I never thought about this. Throughout this whole process I’ve thought that wouldn’t Jack want to get traded for less? He clearly wants to be on a playoff team… so what does he make of the LA and Ducks rumors. Anything coming back in either trade is impactful to the team going forward and it’s up to him to make up the difference.

Maybe there is an alternate reality where he gains motivation out of this and lights the league on fire next season.

Jagemon

Sep 27, 2005
I don't think that's an underpayment. I think some less-than-realistic Sabres fans have posted enough delusional trades assuming that we are going to get 100 cents on the dollar that it skewed the reality.

And then you have the wallowers that think anything Buffalo Sabres related is shit and shoudl stay shit just because Buffalo.

Reactions: JThorne

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Really good take here. I never thought about this. Throughout this whole process I’ve thought that wouldn’t Jack want to get traded for less? He clearly wants to be on a playoff team… so what does he make of the LA and Ducks rumors. Anything coming back in either trade is impactful to the team going forward and it’s up to him to make up the difference.

Maybe there is an alternate reality where he gains motivation out of this and lights the league on fire next season.

He can’t light the league on fire if he’s not healthy.

As long as there is the difference of opinion on what approach to take to resolve the injury, I don’t hold out a lot of hope about his future in Buffalo.

Reactions: kinghock

The Blunder Years

Nov 11, 2013
He can’t light the league on fire if he’s not healthy.

As long as there is the difference of opinion on what approach to take to resolve the injury, I don’t hold out a lot of hope about his future in Buffalo.

Absolutely, I think his last game has been played here as well. Why I noted It as an alternate reality lol. He likely will have his best seasons elsewhere though.

Gimli

Jun 4, 2019

I agree that it’s an underpayment, mainly because I’m not as high on Turcotte as other Sabre fans. I also get the sense that the Sabre fan base is much higher on Turcotte than the LA fan base is.

Reactions: Gjwrams

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Jack retiring because of failed surgery>The risk of him lighting up the league on another team

Just go through with the surgery, if his head falls off well, at least he's not on the Bruins or Rangers.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington

I could actually see Bettman and the NHL being complicit in trying to get Eichel to the Rangers. Drieger’s comments the other day about “if the Rangers offer the best offer Adams will have to consider it” was just an off the cuff comment. Seems like a bunch of teams were in on Jack and then the insiders slowly started eliminating them till the Rags were the only one left. I would be done with the Sabres/NHL if this transpires. This just feels contrived.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad