Player Discussion Jack Eichel Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Ya, for all I’ve yelled, in no world does an eichel trade make us better. He’s a big part of the solution.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Unless we are getting another under 25 ppg+ center in the trade Eichel is not being moved.

That being said he has not come anywhere near the level of play he was heralded to bring. He isn't even a top 10 center let alone top 10 player he was supposed to be. Just more disappointment for us. As soon as next year this will be Dahlins team. A 70 point shutdown 25 min a night D>80-90 point one way center.

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
You're a Sabres fan because of Eichel...? Is that really what you just said?
The subtext being that the team threw away two seasons to just be in a position to draft him and then were so horribly mismanaged once he got here that he wanted to leave even after signing a monster contract. An organization like that doesn't deserve a committed fanbase.

Last edited:

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Not looking to trade Eichel or any of the guys who are producing. That said -no one is untouchable for the right deal. I am not convinced we would get the right deal.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
You're a Sabres fan because of Eichel...? Is that really what you just said?
So what if it is what he said? Are you in charge of policing a person's personal reason for being a fan?

We are all here because we love this team for a variety of reasons and when management starts making questionable decisions and mires us in years and years of sub-par hockey, i think it's fair for someone to question their reason for sticking around if the club trades away their most valuable and effective forward.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
So what if it is what he said? Are you in charge of policing a person's personal reason for being a fan?

We are all here because we love this team for a variety of reasons and when management starts making questionable decisions and mires us in years and years of sub-par hockey, i think it's fair for someone to question their reason for sticking around if the club trades away their most valuable and effective forward.

Being a fan because of one player is just dumb. If that were the case I'd be an Edmonton fan. What happens when Eichel retires or goes to free agency. He's not going to be here forever. I just could never see myself cheering for another team. It would literally be impossible no matter what decisions management make. I'm with the Sabres and Bills through thick and thin.

Reactions: 5 Minute Major

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
Being a fan because of one player is just dumb. If that were the case I'd be an Edmonton fan. What happens when Eichel retires or goes to free agency. He's not going to be here forever. I just could never see myself cheering for another team. It would literally be impossible no matter what decisions management make. I'm with the Sabres and Bills through thick and thin.
I have been a fan of both teams for 20 years, probably not as long as you, but if they seriously trade Eichel and keep on both Botts and PhilHouse, ya I ain’t watching the Sabres anymore.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Eichel was known for passing instead of shooting, and was hounded because the players he would pass to weren't skilled enough to do anything with it. So he started shooting more, but still passed quite a bit to Skinner who would finish them.

The last couple months Eichel really hasn't passed much at all. Instead he's holding the puck and doing circles around the slot. His production is down, and Skinners has fallen off a cliff.

Eichel needs a change of coaching. The circles are fine if he can find someone, but nobody is every open when he does and the shots are always such bad angles.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
I have been a fan of both teams for 20 years, probably not as long as you, but if they seriously trade Eichel and keep on both Botts and PhilHouse, ya I ain’t watching the Sabres anymore.

I agree with this but thought it was under the premise that Eichel wanted to leave which Botts/Housley would have no say in. Either way Pegula would never approve a trade of Eichel so this would never happen. But if the ship doesn't correct soon, this will be Eichels last contract with Buffalo.

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
The Eichel takes are starting to get ridiculous. Can he play better than what he’s shown in the last 40 games? Yes. But is he anywhere near the problem with this team? NO.

It’s like people forgot that he was a Hart candidate and was lighting up the league at even strength until the entire team took a big messy shit in the 2nd half.

HE HAS ZERO SUPPORTING CAST PEOPLE.

Reactions: Gabrielor

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019
Wow that was great. Everything they went off about is true tho. I don’t mean to bash anyone here but wow when you go to KeyBank Center I’m shocked how clueless a lot of people are and **** they talk. I just shake my head honestly.
i overheard this year that Tage was our most skilled forward by far and would easily win the skills competition.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I have levied my fair share of criticism at Eichel, but he goes out there on most nights and busts his ass to make Housley's 'system' work. Suggesting that Marner would have done any better under these circumstances is just ludicrous.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

I think it's more than just Eichel the player. This team went into a rebuild precisely because we didn't have any gamebreaking talent, and the easiest way to get that is by drafting. Eichel was the big prize we got for suffering through that process -- finally a true franchise center. The complete organizational incompetence it would take for him to ask out, and then for the Sabres to actually do it...and if Housley and Botts are still here? Literally the only reason to pay any attention to the Sabres at that point would be Dahlin. Every other part of that hypothetical would make me want to rage quit this team.

Reactions: 1point21Gigawatts

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Last night Jack looked just like he did when our season was still fun, though he didn't get anything to go in - a flawed, but dangerous, young player that is trying his best to help win the game. But since we lost and have the stench of the last few months hanging by, it feels like Eichel is reaching new lows as a leader and a player to a lot of fans that are understandably frustrated. That doesn't mean their emotional reactions are based in reason, and it doesn't mean they're dumb idiots that shouldn't talk about hockey either.

Anyway, trading Eichel is the wrong thing to take away from this season.

Reactions: sabremike

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Can someone break this down in highlights? I don't have a stomach palpable for listening to them anymore.

Some guy calls and he says Sabres suck because Eichel is trash and he has no respect for a team that tanked. If Marner or OEL were on the team instead of Eichel we would be contenders he essentially says. Also says he has respect for the Leafs.

WGR people go off on the guy for about 8 minutes saying the Leafs tanked to get Matthews and people need to stop blaming our best players/running them out of town because it worked so well with ROR. The WGR peeps go on to blame Botts and Housley for most of it and say they wish management had as much passion as the fans because they don't seem to care that their team is garbage.

Reactions: GellMann
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad