Player Discussion Jack Eichel Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
He has raised his game tremendously, especially in hos own end.

I think he has been more consistent in his own end. But I wouldn’t say he is tremendously better than last year. I think the defense in general has improved tremendously and it helps him start the transition quicker and more efficiently.

The old you don’t have to play defense if you have the puck.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think he has been more consistent in his own end. But I wouldn’t say he is tremendously better than last year. I think the defense in general has improved tremendously and it helps him start the transition quicker and more efficiently.

The old you don’t have to play defense if you have the puck.

His effort in getting back and competing for pucks has improved. There is still room for him to improve there - think of how much Mitts is a demand for the puck on the backcheck all the time.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
His effort in getting back and competing for pucks has improved. There is still room for him to improve there - think of how much Mitts is a demand for the puck on the backcheck all the time.

I would agree. I love it when he back checks since his rookie year, it’s poetry in motion. And he has done it more consistently this year.

I took issue with the use of tremendous in regards to his defense overall. I can’t give him that when I can think of 2-3 instances this year that directly led to losses because of his coverage on defense.

But overall, he has been better in the areas that drove me crazy, using his physicality, making contact defensively, not waving his stick and expecting others to get him the puck. And the same thing offensively, finally using his speed with more purpose.

I’m happy to see him use all of his tools.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
His board play and puck retrieval are much improved. He's tenacious on the puck now, and using his size and strength so much more effectively.

And his zone entries, especially on the PP, are so consistent, making just the right move or pass. One of the best in the league.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
There’s a sense of urgency to his D zone play. Still might not always be the right place, but he’s getting to where he thinks he needs to be. Last couple hi might have taken the last few strides for granted and been a step behind the play. Doesn’t happen nearly as often now.

Reactions: Chainshot

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Jack Eichel has big plans for the resurgent Sabres

By ALEX PREWITT - December 27, 2018

Setting down his turkey burger, Jack Eichel gazes through the windows of a downtown Buffalo restaurant and once again imagines the future. He sees a surrounding riverside area choked with game-day traffic, blue-and-white Sabres jerseys shuffling toward KeyBank Center beneath an early-summer sky. He pictures live music blaring and cameras panning overhead, broadcasting crowd shots to a national audience. He hears chants—LET'S! GO! BUFF-A-LO!—and smells beer. After all, Eichel notes, "Buffalonians don't mind the tailgate."

He visualizes because that is how he has always pursued goals. Growing up in North Chelmsford, Mass., Eichel would tack articles about local athletes receiving college scholarships to the walls of his family's basement, extra motivation while cranking out deadlifts before middle school. Even when the 2015 draft was years away, the background image of his iPod Touch was a picture mosaic of highly regarded prospects, including the only one who would actually get picked ahead of him, Edmonton's Connor McDavid. He also programmed the device to deliver a daily reminder along with his morning alarm: HOW BAD DO YOU WANT TO MAKE THE NHL?

Now that Eichel is there—not to mention captaining the insurgent Sabres at age 22, burnishing his Hart Trophy credentials with 48 points in 37 games, averaging 20:16 per night of all-situation hockey, and generally realizing his potential as the savior for one of pro sports' most woebegone cities—he is singularly focused on an even loftier goal. "Constantly thinking about what it'd be like," he says, nodding toward the nearby waterfront. "First of all, to be in the playoffs. Then to get a good run going would be awesome."

Reactions: zuikan and Dingo44

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
have to cringe a bit at all the body maintenance stuff these guys need in their early twenties. pro fitness is no joke

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
have to cringe a bit at all the body maintenance stuff these guys need in their early twenties. pro fitness is no joke
I was a little jarred by seeing that he needs a heat pack before each game on his back, I didn’t realize he even had back issues. Or is that a means of prevention?

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
What’s going on with
Eichel?

Injury,m? he left with five mins left and rob ray said he was questionable for the game to begin with.

This better be something small, anyone know anything ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad