News: Jack Eichel not happy in Buffalo [JACK EICHEL MEGATHREAD] Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
I mean, if I was Buffalo, there's about a 0% chance I move Jack Eichel to NYR, personally.
The last thing I want is a team in my conference, in my state, to get one of the best players on the planet.

I send him out West, and don't think about him outside of the two games a season we see him.
Kings honestly make the most sense... we will see how this plays out.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
The only teams that really make sense for a trade are: kings, rangers, flyers, Blackhawks, flames or Canucks... IMO.

Maybe I am missing the odd team but in terms of player options for a deal that “could” make sense. It’s pretty clear the sabres are not interested in a complete rebuild again and want actually pieces they can plug in here/now.

with this said I am not saying those teams listed want to make a deal, just that they could be most logical option.

agree except nyr but also vegas

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
The only teams that really make sense for a trade are: kings, rangers, flyers, Blackhawks, flames or Canucks... IMO.

Maybe I am missing the odd team but in terms of player options for a deal that “could” make sense. It’s pretty clear the sabres are not interested in a complete rebuild again and want actually pieces they can plug in here/now.

with this said I am not saying those teams listed want to make a deal, just that they could be most logical option.
I think u hit the nail on the head here broski. Buffalo finding a dance partner is going to be harder then most think. Then trying to get that team to give them ( what their fans think is fair value) is going to be even harder still. I think the teams you mentioned plus CBJ are the ones interested in Eichel for sure. I don’t think the jackets have the high end pieces to make the deal. Buffalo isn’t going to get Seth Jones/ Patrick Laine in return and watch him leave in FA. And Columbus isn’t going to cripple their farm for 5 years to add eichel. Van, calgary, and philly and Chicago need substantial cap to go the other way. The rangers and La can absorb his whole hit but they aren’t giving up a LaF or a Byfield. It’s just not happening for a disgruntled player no matter how many times people wish it to be true. I think 31 teams would love to add Eichel, I think the business side of hockey and the fact that he is disgruntled and doesn’t want to play with the Sabres anymore play a huge part of why there will only be 4-5 teams that make serious offers. Eichel is not a bargain, he is rightfully paid for what he brings, that doesn’t make it any easier to add 10 mill to the cap on top of losing what other assets you have to give to get him.
He also comes with a NMC kicking him next year. If he doesn’t like his new team, they will get next to nothing for him if he is unhappy and wants out. The injury factor is also another risk.
I’m not saying that Eichel is bad or overpaid, I’m saying there are significant consequences for the teams that deal for him, and I don’t think many take that into consideration.
I expect LA, NY, and Calgary to make competitive offers. But I highly doubt it goes into a bidding war. And I’ll stand by what I’ve said since the beginning the return will not include a Byfield, LaF prospect. It will be a package of young players/prospects with team control in Dahlins and Cozens age range, and a 1st. Maybe a top 10 pick depending on how the draft order shakes out.

this coming from a fan whole is 50/50 on caring whether the rangers get Eichel or resign Zibby. I could care less but I fully expect one of those 2 to be the rangers center by the trade deadline next year, locked in for the next 5 seasons. ( the guy who thinks they get fox for him makes me laugh every time I read it).

Last edited:

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Let’s just get this over with.
Fiala + Dumba + Rask + both 1sts + 2021 2nd + Daemon Hunt

This isn't an insult to Fiala/Dumba. Those two do not make Buffalo a playoff team. Why take a couple of really good players who will miss the playoffs, and won't resign in Buffalo.

If we are picking 5th in 2022 and 9th in 2023, all these two will do is lower lottery percentage.

I know that other teams don't care about that, and go ahead, send the flak our way if we tank. Im just saying, Fiala/Dumba are counter productive and just means more 7th or 8th overall picks

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I mean, if I was Buffalo, there's about a 0% chance I move Jack Eichel to NYR, personally.
The last thing I want is a team in my conference, in my state, to get one of the best players on the planet.

I send him out West, and don't think about him outside of the two games a season we see him.
That limits the organization heavily. Under normal circumstances they aren't even in the same division. I agree with not wanting a player in your division, but I think shipping out west is a little over blown. Under normal circumstances it's 3 games, right?

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Any offer for Eichel has to include at least one top shelf ELC prospect, or at least one 1st round draft pick 5th overall or better. The Wild can't offer that.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
This isn't an insult to Fiala/Dumba. Those two do not make Buffalo a playoff team. Why take a couple of really good players who will miss the playoffs, and won't resign in Buffalo.

If we are picking 5th in 2022 and 9th in 2023, all these two will do is lower lottery percentage.

I know that other teams don't care about that, and go ahead, send the flak our way if we tank. Im just saying, Fiala/Dumba are counter productive and just means more 7th or 8th overall picks
From a fan perspective, I wouldn’t want to take back good players either. In reality, Adam’s is going to want to. He’s going to want to get closer to the playoffs, not the basement continually. He won’t keep his job for long if they’re still at the bottom of the league next year.

Reactions: jay from jersey

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
From a fan perspective, I wouldn’t want to take back good players either. In reality, Adam’s is going to want to. He’s going to want to get closer to the playoffs, not the basement continually. He won’t keep his job for long if they’re still at the bottom of the league next year.

I'm pretty sure Terry Pegula will have to approve trading Eichel. If he does, Kevyn will just tell him what everyone knows...no Eichel next season means no playoffs next season. And Eichel can be replaced with (hopefully) Shane Wright. I happen to think next years top 6 prospects would all be more suitable first overalls than anyone in the 2021 class.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
He knows he’s not going to get a superstar talent back, what he will get is 3-4 very important pieces that will be key to making the Sabres a l better deeper team for years to come. He’ll probably take a shot at a guy like Johnson in the draft.( most pure talented goal scorer IMO). And he’ll stay the course to try and get Wright or Bedard in the following drafts. With Cozens, Dahlin Quinn, Pekar Borden etc he can really lay a good foundation for a future star they draft so it’s not another Eichel situation in the future. I think CBJ is kicking themselves for not getting a futures heavy package back for PLD. They knew resigning laine was 50/50. At least they could have insulted themselves at some positions in case Jones or Werenski decide to leave. Now it looks like all 3 might walk and they have nothing left to show for it except rosolvic. By taking that chance, jarmo set the franchise back by a year or 2. I get why he did it. He wanted to make the jackets as competitive as they could be in hopes of resigning their big guns, but it blew up in his face

Last edited:

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
From a fan perspective, I wouldn’t want to take back good players either. In reality, Adam’s is going to want to. He’s going to want to get closer to the playoffs, not the basement continually. He won’t keep his job for long if they’re still at the bottom of the league next year.[/

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I'm pretty sure Terry Pegula will have to approve trading Eichel. If he does, Kevyn will just tell him what everyone knows...no Eichel next season means no playoffs next season. And Eichel can be replaced with (hopefully) Shane Wright. I happen to think next years top 6 prospects would all be more suitable first overalls than anyone in the 2021 class.
I agree with you 100%. Beniers predicts to be the best center of the draft this year. I don’t think he becomes more then a High end 2C in the NHL. I think Power is a safe bet to be a Top 4 D for a long time though. I don’t know what his ceiling might be just yet

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
The problem with Dumba is he is a UFA in two years. If the Sabres aren't a playoff team by then, it will be hard to keep him. It may be hard to keep him even if they somehow make it in and if they do, they'll be paying top dollar.

If Dumba has 3+ years on his contract, it would be a different story. I just wouldn't want to be in the position where the Sabres finish bottom 10 again and now you have Dumba, with 1 year left on his contract. Then you have to make a tough decision on whether to trade him for less than he is worth because he only has 1 year left, or to go into a season with him, hoping to make the playoffs and convince him to stay.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
The problem with Dumba is he is a UFA in two years. If the Sabres aren't a playoff team by then, it will be hard to keep him. It may be hard to keep him even if they somehow make it in and if they do, they'll be paying top dollar.

If Dumba has 3+ years on his contract, it would be a different story. I just wouldn't want to be in the position where the Sabres finish bottom 10 again and now you have Dumba, with 1 year left on his contract. Then you have to make a tough decision on whether to trade him for less than he is worth because he only has 1 year left, or to go into a season with him, hoping to make the playoffs and convince him to stay.
I have a hard time believing that Adam’s is worried about this. If they’re not a playoff team in 2 years, he’s not the GM anymore. He’s also gotta change the perception around Buffalo to the point where people want to stay there and win there, otherwise it won’t matter if Dumba stays or leaves because no marquee players will go there.

Shroud of Orrin

Come on, Bob
Apr 29, 2020
Haligonia
I'm no Sabres fan but, I'd use Eichel to shore up the teams future on the blue line and in goal for the next ten years and not get lead into a "must somehow replace Jack now" scenario and get taken with a 27 year old has been centre. Add one of Clarke or Hughes in the '21 draft to help seal that blue line. Dahlin is a kid anyway.

The '22 and '23 drafts are laced with the centerpiece to replace Eichel. Whether that's Wright, Michkov or Bedard. While teams like NJ, Detroit and Ottawa improve next year it opens up a lot of opportunity to be best positioned for some potential superstar talent. Picks and other key elements like power and defensive forwards for Reinhart and Risto. Yes lotteries can be cruel but that's the price for poor management.

Burn it all down. Hire someone the fans can trust to direct this and do it right. BTW...I understand Jeff Gorton is unemployed...

Ledge And Dairy

I'm no Sabres fan but, I'd use Eichel to shore up the teams future on the blue line and in goal for the next ten years and not get lead into a "must somehow replace Jack now" scenario and get taken with a 27 year old has been centre. Add one of Clarke or Hughes in the '21 draft to help seal that blue line. Dahlin is a kid anyway.

The '22 and '23 drafts are laced with the centerpiece to replace Eichel. Whether that's Wright, Michkov or Bedard. While teams like NJ, Detroit and Ottawa improve next year it opens up a lot of opportunity to be best positioned for some potential superstar talent. Picks and other key elements like power and defensive forwards for Reinhart and Risto. Yes lotteries can be cruel but that's the price for poor management.

Burn it all down. Hire someone the fans can trust to direct this and do it right. BTW...I understand Jeff Gorton is unemployed...
Dont forget about Lambert, kid was a monster at world juniors

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
With Eichel's neck issue, that's going to limited what kind of value sabres get in return especially if the suppose surgery he wants ends up hurting his career.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
That wouldn't make you happy? Think about it for a minute.
Three players not in your lineup for a 24-year-old franchise centre?

Fans are weird.
24 year old franchise center
Who wants out
And is injured currently
And is openly lobbying for a experimental procedure to be done on his neck.

let’s call it what it is.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
So I'm hoping Pegula learned his lesson. They got got by a motivational speaker and thought they could buy an 8 million dollar magic bullet into the playoffs.

If anything Kevyn has more pull and more time *now* because the band aids and mumbo jumbo disastrously failed.

I dont thing Terry Pegula is stupid. I do think he can sour on a highly paid player (ROR and maybe a bit of a stretch but Bills Watkins/Dareus). If it means ditching Eichel because he pulled his shtick on media day...yeah, Pegula can go there. And he can afford a couple seasons of misery, and hopefully secure an elite center in the next draft. There are 3 eliye right handed centers in 2022 it seems like the plan can't miss if they get Beniers this year and another pivot in 2022.

2023-24 or bust...I can be patient. If the plan is coherent and they commit to it. No more half measures and jackassery in personnel decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad