Tribute Jack Campbell Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Yeah, the stench is always subjective and while I agree it was only one pee wee wrister, there was a few others, especially in the last few games that you might not love either.

And generally the term, I’d agree with you… but this is Campbell’s one and only payday. I wouldn’t blame him for trying to maximize it. He might get 6x6 on the open market - how much less would he have to take to stay with the Leafs?

You’re right, big decisions looming.

It's hard to figure what the market will be, and that's scary as hell. Last summer we had at least some leverage (injury risk plus we were the only bidder), this summer we will have none. I really hope Dubas is trying hard to get it done now because if he doesn't, the only way Jack will be back is the market is much less than his agent thinks it is and I wouldn't be too sure of that as it only takes one GM out of 32 to make a big offer.

Reactions: sparxx87

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Yup we don't have the cap space to be running 1a/b goalies
Did they really think Mrazek could step in as #1 if need be?

I assume they did. It seems reasonable to me, he's much better than an average backup.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
It's hard to figure what the market will be, and that's scary as hell. Last summer we had at least some leverage (injury risk plus we were the only bidder), this summer we will have none. I really hope Dubas is trying hard to get it done now because if he doesn't, the only way Jack will be back is the market is much less than his agent thinks it is and I wouldn't be too sure of that as it only takes one GM out of 32 to make a big offer.
I think I probably agree with his agent at this point. He has a case as one of the better starters in the league over the last two years, and that ‘late bloomer’ status also served to limit the miles on the body relative to his age. The agent could be selling one of the better goalies in the league for the next 4-6 years and you’re right, it only takes one GM to buy it.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I think I probably agree with his agent at this point. He has a case as one of the better starters in the league over the last two years, and that ‘late bloomer’ status also served to limit the miles on the body relative to his age. The agent could be selling one of the better goalies in the league for the next 4-6 years and you’re right, it only takes one GM to buy it.

Agree 100%. If I had to predict who the best goalies would be over the next 4-6 years, Jack would be pretty high on my list. Jack's agent must have big smile on his face these days.

There's always risk but let's be honest, there's risk with ever single goalie in the league with the possible exception of Vas. I wonder, is there anyone here who wouldn't have Jack in their top 10 for the next 4-6 years? What about top 5?

To me that's the choice we're facing, it's either Jack or it's "who the f*** knows". I'm willing to overpay for Jack because the other option is so horrible, I don't even want to contemplate it.

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
to continue on what you said. A team like the Devils for example, who have infinite cap space and a desperate need for a goalie.... yeah I can see them making a big pitch towards Soup, obviously depending on how this season plays out.

gotta lock him up now before we can no longer afford him. just my 2 cents.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
It's amazing that some people believe that Campbell will be scratching and clawing for every single last dollar he can possibly earn, but simultaneously believe that he would have signed for 3-4 mil last year easy peasy. I wonder if they realize the contradiction.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
to continue on what you said. A team like the Devils for example, who have infinite cap space and a desperate need for a goalie.... yeah I can see them making a big pitch towards Soup, obviously depending on how this season plays out.

gotta lock him up now before we can no longer afford him. just my 2 cents.
I doubt he's interested in signing now while his value continues to rise.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I think we're at the point now that this isn't going to happen until after the playoffs (if at all). If he and the team falter again in the playoffs his price tag will probably drop a bit, whereas if he does well, I don't see it going up that much (from the rumored 6). Perhaps I'm drunk

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
It's amazing that some people believe that Campbell will be scratching and clawing for every single last dollar he can possibly earn, but simultaneously believe that he would have signed for 3-4 mil last year easy peasy. I wonder if they realize the contradiction.

Your choice of words is hyperbolic but leaving that aside, I would think it's obvious to everyone that the price of signing Jack has gone up and it's left until the summer, how high it might be is anyone's guess.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I doubt he's interested in signing now while his value continues to rise.

There's no guarantee it will continue to rise though.

I think we're at the point now that this isn't going to happen until after the playoffs (if at all). If he and the team falter again in the playoffs his price tag will probably drop a bit, whereas if he does well, I don't see it going up that much (from the rumored 6). Perhaps I'm drunk

FML I hope you're wrong.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Your choice of words is hyperbolic but leaving that aside, I would think it's obvious to everyone that the price of signing Jack has gone up and it's left until the summer, how high it might be is anyone's guess.
The only thing hyperbolic is these claims about this massive and infinite rise of cost from last offseason, to right now, to post-playoffs.

I guess you could add in the hyperbolic claims of how "screwed" we are without him.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
The only thing hyperbolic is these claims about this massive and infinite rise of cost from last offseason, to right now, to post-playoffs.

I guess you could add in the hyperbolic claims of how "screwed" we are without him.

Your words, not mine. Especially "infinite", take it easy there buddy.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
It's always amusing seeing people try to pretend that they're not utilizing hindsight when they very clearly are using hindsight to dismiss the potential team-crippling risks associated with their desired past action.

It's also amusing to see people try to pretend that they know what went down in negotiations last year in order to form their narrative. It's so easy to sit at home and say "Sign this guy! Not signing him is a failure!", and you don't have to concern yourself with things like whether that guy is actually willing to sign, and if they are, whether they're willing to sign for a reasonable amount relative to what they've shown.
Not extending Campbell before letting Andersen walk is a complete fail, no matter how you want to spin that it wasn't. Who does that in any business? Any leverage you had was gone at the moment Fred signed somewhere else.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Not extending Campbell before letting Andersen walk is a complete fail, no matter how you want to spin that it wasn't. Who does that in any business? Any leverage you had was gone at the moment Fred signed somewhere else.

He literally could not be signed to an extension until the same day Andersen was free to (and did) sign with another team.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Not extending Campbell before letting Andersen walk is a complete fail
That's an interesting opinion, considering that Campbell wasn't even eligible for an extension until Andersen was gone. :laugh:

Just goes to show how much thought is put into these criticisms of Dubas.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
i guess some of us aren't are confident in Mzarek/Woll/Hutch as you are .

but then again you'll be spewing something completely different next season if Campbell leaves and the team actually goes with the above mentioned goalies

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
i guess some of us aren't are confident in Mzarek/Woll/Hutch as you are.
I mean, Mrazek's a good goalie, but I'm not sure why you think our off-season goalie moves would consist of losing Campbell and doing absolutely nothing else. I remember not too long ago, people talking about how "screwed" we would be once Andersen left.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
He literally could not be signed to an extension until the same day Andersen was free to (and did) sign with another team.
Andersen signs Mid August, he was a free agent July 1st. We signed Mrzak in the beinning of August. There was a month of negotiating that should have went on.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I mean, Mrazek's a good goalie, but I'm not sure why you think our off-season goalie moves would consist of losing Campbell and doing absolutely nothing else. I remember not too long ago, people talking about how "screwed" we would be once Andersen left.
something else would also cost cap space we don't have so i'll flag these posts and see what your spinning next year if Campbell doesn't re-sign

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
That's an interesting opinion, considering that Campbell wasn't even eligible for an extension until Andersen was gone. :laugh:

Just goes to show how much thought is put into these criticisms of Dubas.
There was plenty of time to talk and negotiate before July 1st as well. We didn't start negotiating with JT on July 1st and sign him a minute later.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Andersen signs Mid August, he was a free agent July 1st. We signed Mrzak in the beinning of August.
Where are you getting your dates? Free agency was July 28th this year. Andersen signed on July 28th. Mrazek signed on July 28th.
We didn't start negotiating with JT on July 1st and sign him a minute later.
No, the NHL had a week-long courting period back then.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
something else would also cost cap space we don't have
We have cap space (you need that for Campbell too FYI), and paths to create more. I'm not sure what would make you think that we would do absolutely nothing goalie-wise if Campbell leaves.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Where are you getting your dates? Free agency was July 28th this year. Andersen signed on July 28th. Mrazek signed on July 28th.

No, the NHL had a week-long courting period back then.
So you believe neither team contacted either goalie beforehand but everything was settled the sameday they were eligible to sign.

My appologies I thought it was July 1st not 28th. Regardless there should have been plenty of negotiating going on with Campbell before any of the other moves went down.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
My appologies I thought it was July 1st not 28th. Regardless there should have been plenty of negotiating going on with Campbell before any of the other moves went down.
I'm not sure why some people always seem to think that a lack of deal equals a lack of negotiation, but regardless, Campbell was not eligible for an extension until the same day Andersen left, so your statement that "not extending Campbell before letting Andersen walk is a complete fail" is confusing and factually incorrect. Also, the same day Andersen left, Mrazek was signed, so I'm not sure where you're getting this supposed loss of leverage from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad