Tribute Jack Campbell Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Opening up a new can of soup.

Anyway, with contract discussions up in the air it would be great to see him sign for another 3 years or so and I could see the dollar amount falling somewhere between $4 and $4.5 million with $4.25 million being a nice comfy number for all.

Question is how do we shuffle the cap to make things work. At the moment Rielly is due a $2.5 million raise, $1.2 will come from Kessel and $1.3 could be covered by the entire cap increase. Campbell is at $1.6. So we would need to basically get rid or Kerfoot to comfortably make that happen and replace him with an ELC forward. Or maybe a bigger shakeup with Muzzin and Holl could save us some cap.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Lock him in for 5 years.

Will take him to the twilight of his career. Anything under 4AAV I'd consider a major win.

He wants to be a Leaf, We desperately want him to stay. Something will get done.

my guess: 5 year x 3.5AAV

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
He's looked good so far this season. Likeable guy, team seems to feel the same. Only caveat is...was he really any better than Freddy in the playoffs? Seems to me we had the same thing in a different package. Couldn't come up with the big save under pressure when we really needed it. I wouldn't be rushing into signing a big contract until I know more about what I have.

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Lock him in for 5 years.

Will take him to the twilight of his career. Anything under 4AAV I'd consider a major win.

He wants to be a Leaf, We desperately want him to stay. Something will get done.

my guess: 5 year x 3.5AAV

Considering what others signed for in the summer, I doubt his agent let's him sign a contract like that.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Considering what others signed for in the summer, I doubt his agent let's him sign a contract like that.
Ya for sure, but the same could have been said for Reilly.

Ultimately if Jack wants to be a Leaf, a deal will get done. Yes this is a business, and he may end up getting more from us, but I really don't think he is looking to bend us over either.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Ya for sure, but the same could have been said for Reilly.

Ultimately if Jack wants to be a Leaf, a deal will get done. Yes this is a business, and he may end up getting more from us, but I really don't think he is looking to bend us over either.

Agree in principle. But percentage wise, your proposed deal seems like an even bigger discount then Rielly gave us. 5x4 seems a bit more realistic to me, we'll see.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Whatever price he comes in at, more contracts will have to be moved to accommodate.
- Holl could be gone soon to make room for Mikheyev's return.
- Unless Ritchie really steps it up Dubas can move him in the off-season (there's always a GM willing to bite on players like him).
- Kerfoot is a candidate next Summer esp. if Robertson looks ready to make the jump by then.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
He's looked good so far this season. Likeable guy, team seems to feel the same. Only caveat is...was he really any better than Freddy in the playoffs? Seems to me we had the same thing in a different package. Couldn't come up with the big save under pressure when we really needed it. I wouldn't be rushing into signing a big contract until I know more about what I have.
He posted a .934 and had a shutout in 7 GP. He let 1 soft goal in the entire series. Our big boys no showed, and we made 2 very critical mistakes in OT on games 5 and 6 that cost us the series. Carey Price was also playing as good as he has ever played in his very decorated career.

Campbell was not just good, but he was outstanding in the playoffs last year. Not even remotely close to the reason we lost.

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
Mrazek gets traded for a cheaper backup in the off-season to offset Jacks salary increase, he is a heart and soul player, but he's never been paid before, I'd guess even with his stellar play we could get him at something like 5x5.

Regardless he gets what he wants If his play continues (and I have always been a beleafer in him, so I expect it too). We will just meet it when it comes.

I don't expect any ludicrous demands like 7 or 8, with Mrazek gone and Holl being shopped, we should have enough.

Maybe Holl being shopped is in anticipation for Jack being paid, he has this year and next left on his contract, we trade for a player that helps now with just this year left and then he comes off the books to create the space available for Campbells extension this off-season. Sounds plausible.

There have been reports the contract is already being negotiated.

Reactions: Nylanderthal

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Opening up a new can of soup.

Anyway, with contract discussions up in the air it would be great to see him sign for another 3 years or so and I could see the dollar amount falling somewhere between $4 and $4.5 million with $4.25 million being a nice comfy number for all.

Question is how do we shuffle the cap to make things work. At the moment Rielly is due a $2.5 million raise, $1.2 will come from Kessel and $1.3 could be covered by the entire cap increase. Campbell is at $1.6. So we would need to basically get rid or Kerfoot to comfortably make that happen and replace him with an ELC forward. Or maybe a bigger shakeup with Muzzin and Holl could save us some cap.
What I'm thinking is that at least either:
- Mrazek is gone
- Kerfoot is gone (or maybe Ritchie)
- Holl &/or Dermott are gone.

I didn't personally care for the Mrazek signing, it was a bit rich given how the team's structured cap-wise. It's early but I think they'll need to look for a cheaper backup next season; I also highly doubt both of Holl & Dermott are back.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Agree in principle. But percentage wise, your proposed deal seems like an even bigger discount then Rielly gave us. 5x4 seems a bit more realistic to me, we'll see.
Ya you're probably right. I think he likely has to match the AAV of Mrazek as well on second thought, which would be 3.8AAV. I'd still be very happy at 5 x 4AAV. I really think Jack is coming into his own and finally fulfilling what he was drafted to become. He doesn't look like a backup or even a 1A. He looks like a true #1

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
I've said it before, offer him 20 million dollars and he can have it over 5,6 or 7 years, his choice. That's enough money for him and his family to live well off for the rest of their lives.

If he wants a 3 or 4 year deal, it probably falls between 3.5 and 4 million

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Someone would give him 5 years x $7 mil on the open market if he keeps this up. Hope he really wants to stay here

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Offload Kerfoot. Only real option.

His caphit is 3.5 mil, but he's only getting paid 2.7 mil in real money next year.

If they trade him after his July 1st signing bonus, a poor team can get a year of Kerfoot at only 750k real money. The catch is that his 10 team ntc kicks in July 1st as well.

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012

Absolutely.

His name should be so far from blame that if mentioned, any attentive Leafs fan would be rightly surprised that it was ever brought to mind.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Matthews/Marner were the 2 biggest issues in that series, all we needed was 1 stinking goal from either of them in games 5-7 and we take that series. Everything else was secondary, including Jack's play.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Some team could rightfully really like the guy just take a $$$ gamble on him, he's tough for comparables though because he's been really good but doesn't have much of a track record at 29.

Some reasonable comparables to him right now are (kept Binnington out as that guy won a cup):
1. Merzilkins 5.4 X 5
2. Kuemper 4.5m X 2
3. Peterson 5m X 3
4. Driedger 3.5m X 3
5. Mrazek 3.8m X 3
6. Ullmark 5m X 4
7. Bernier 4.125m X 2
8. Nedeljkovic 3m X 2
9. Demko 5m X 5

Here's some factors:
- He's the nicest human on earth, not up for discussion
- Easily to tell he loves playing in Toronto, has finally found himself here, & they're competitive
- Toronto's an expensive place to live, & he only has about 4.2m in career earnings
- He's recently been very good in a short period of time, a very small track record, & has a history of injuries

I think he's in the ballpark of 5m+ but he'll take less than that if they commit some term, clauses & signing bonuses to him on an early extension.

Reactions: horner

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
- Toronto's an expensive place to live, & he only has about 4.2m in career earnings
- He's recently been very good in a short period of time, a very small track record, & has a history of injuries

I think he's in the ballpark of 5m+ but he'll take less than that if they commit some term, clauses & signing bonuses to him on an early extension.

This is key. He's never made bank before so signing now and not risking a career injury this season has to be very attractive for him. I really wish this would have gotten done in the off-season but this season just started so his leverage shouldn't be that much more than it was. Time to get it done is definitely now though, Dubas should really drop everything else until this is taken care of. 5x4 seems like a deal both sides can be happy with, make it happen.

Reactions: 123offtheglass

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
Love the player but I worry about his injury history and lack of a track record of being a starter.

Very nervous about what we might offer in a long term contract.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Whatever price he comes in at, more contracts will have to be moved to accommodate.
- Holl could be gone soon to make room for Mikheyev's return.
- Unless Ritchie really steps it up Dubas can move him in the off-season (there's always a GM willing to bite on players like him).
- Kerfoot is a candidate next Summer esp. if Robertson looks ready to make the jump by then.

Pretty much came to post this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad