Jack Campbell - a legit starter or hot streak?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Kings goalie factory does it again

Unfortunately we appear to have reached the end of the road after our peak design, California Petersen

Campbell showed well here too, small sample size but he's got all the tools. I personally think he can't handle a FULL 50-60 game workload, but he should be one of those terrific 40 game guys.

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
He looked like a potential starter for a stretch in LA. And he's got the numbers of a starter so far in Toronto.

I think Dubas loves him, and he'll get a chance to be the guy next season with the Leafs.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Great start for him, definitely very small sample size.

He has always had that potential since being drafted but had encountered some issues from injuries to mental illness, etc. He is a very athletic goalie, works hard and has fun with the game. He has a great attitude too.

A great team guy. I wish him the best going forward. Hopefully he can solidify the starting position here.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
Glad to see he's doing well. He was a likable guy when he was with the Kings. The players loved him.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Probably both. There's no way he's going to keep up this level of play, but there's no reason he can't be a decent starter

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Glad to see he's doing well. He was a likable guy when he was with the Kings. The players loved him.

Everyone loves him. He's the most positive NHL player I've ever followed in terms of how he talks about his teammates. He's the kind of guy who would apologize to his defensemen after a shutout because he gave them too many rebounds to clear.

Reactions: JayDog17

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Love Campbell, I've talked about him a bit in the Leafs section. He's going to be a legit starter, I said it the day Dallas traded him to LA and I stand by that. He's been on an upward trend ever since his was assigned to Idaho in the ECHL 5 years ago. Developed real well under Imoo and Ranford in Ontario, looked fantastic as Quick's backup in LA, and has been even better in Toronto. If the Leafs are smart he's their #1 goalie from here on out. Phenomenal contract too.

But its still way too early for a main board thread, as we can see the usual replies of small sample size and durr Leafs overrated. Anyone who's seen him play in the last year or two knows he's legit, and those who haven't will continue to look stupid

Glacious

Dec 28, 2009
This seems exactly like that "Carter Hart has a .957 save%" or the "Is Mackenzie Blackwood the best young starter in the East?" threads that blew up when those guys went cold again.

Well the obvious difference between those threads and this one is that previous threads made bold proclamations about the goalie in question while this one simply presents stats and asks a question.

I think the premise of the thread is reasonable enough in comparison. Though I would definitely question the sample size at this point.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
One of the qualities of being a legit starter is being able to handle a starter's schedule workload. 71 gp is not enough evidence of that.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Toronto should definitely sign him to a 6x6 deal and run with him as their number 1 going forward.

Rondo Hatton

Dec 20, 2013
He's probably similar to Jake Allen. He'll look like a starter for about 30-35games a year and if you play him more he plays worse.

That's my hunch, and really a back up that can be relied upon for 30 quality starts is exactly what I would want in a #2. Need that until the #1 can get his shit together. If Andersen can't get it together, Leafs need to go shopping. But this can't be determined until this year is over.

Reactions: Captain97

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Too early to tell, he looked great in every game he's played so far. But still only 7 games. He had MAYBE 1 bad game so far, overall looks good, let's wait until the season ends.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
I think he has the talent/ability for it, his fundamentals are very solid. Campbell is almost never out of position and that allows him to be able to stop a lot of deflections or shots he might not see.

The big question is his health, he needs to be able to string together a consistent stretch of games without getting hurt like other starters can. When he shows he can do that I'll be more confident

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad