Jack Campbell - a legit starter or hot streak?

disgruntleddave

Aug 31, 2009
Canada
He hasn't had to be great. He's been good. Above average good. So, combination of both.

Maybe just being himself elevates the teammates to play better in front of him, which is certainly a factor.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Wouldn't be the first time a hIghly touted goalie takes a long time to reach his peak.

Seems like it takes many goalies to their late 20s before they are really fully developed.
Dallas also really screwed up his development. They didn't even have an AHL goalie coach. No, seriously. A team that drafted a goalie 11th overall, a guy who was considered pretty raw even for goalie prospect standards on top of that (I remember him and Gibson being about equally hyped up roughly during that early 2010's timespan, but Gibson was considered to be a more polished prospect), and the dude was pretty much left on an island. Once he got a good environment to develop in with LA's system, it finally clicked.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I’ve thought he could be a starter if given a chance for the last couple of years. He’s really good. Very composed and a smart goalie

Reactions: JKG33 and hn777

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
I don’t think anyone expects him to maintain those numbers. He obviously won’t.
But can he be a starter is a different question. His overall career numbers are good enough but the sample size is small and he has had injury issues.

And I think that is a question that will be answered before the end of next season. He will get his chance here and next season.

FelixPotvin29

Oct 21, 2012
You need him to be able to play 60ish games per year, at this level, to really consider it.

Very impressed with him however.

Reactions: WillyNy

Whileee

May 29, 2010
He looks like a legit starter to me at this point. But goalies are voodoo. In any case, he's not a 0.951 save % goalie, so he's going to come back down to earth.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I remember a thread just like this about Curtis McElhinney a few years ago.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Small sample but I love how he never seems phased by anything. The odd time he gives up a soft goal it seems to only fuel him to be better and close out the game while most goalies fall apart.

This is something he's really improved on since joining LA. I can't speak for his OHL days, but during his ECHL stint in Idaho he could be the best goalie in the world one minute, but if he let in a soft one then 3 or 4 more would follow and that was the end of his night. Super happy he's managed to put it all together

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
His numbers will come down to earth but it feels nice to see him shut down other teams.

We just need our offense to score more goals, give him more peace of mind.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
I don’t think it’s necessarily either or both depending on how you look at it. He was always a good backup, so wasn’t ever a poor goalie, however he is currently 7-0 and that’s obviously unsustainable. Could end up being a good starter but unlikely he’d be in the top tier.

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
I want to see how the standings change after the deadline. Leafs will be looking to add a forward, maybe defenseman/goalie. Jets need another D. Oilers could use a top 6 winger. Habs need a top 6 forward, defense...all of it.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I don’t think it’s necessarily either or both depending on how you look at it. He was always a good backup, so wasn’t ever a poor goalie, however he is currently 7-0 and that’s obviously unsustainable. Could end up being a good starter but unlikely he’d be in the top tier.

I'll go completely out on a limb and say he'll either be the next Tim Thomas or the next Andrew Hammond. Or somewhere in between.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad