Jack Campbell - a legit starter or hot streak?

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Wouldn't be the first time a hIghly touted goalie takes a long time to reach his peak.

Seems like it takes many goalies to their late 20s before they are really fully developed.

Reactions: TheKrebsCycle

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
His career has been pretty short- only 71 games so its tough to say.

I would certainly say hes a solid 1B, too early to see if hes a starter considering the most games hes played in a season is 31

Reactions: banks

shaner82

Apr 18, 2017
If you look at stats, the sample size is way too small. If you've watched every game he's played (for the Leafs) like I have, you realize just how solid he is. He's always in the right place. His anticipation and positioning is top notch. He's got a calmness about him that Anderson doesn't have. Anderson seems to have to make more flashy, erratic saves, but Campbell never looks flashy because he's always in the right position.

You can tell by watching him that he's starter material. The only question is whether he can stay healthy.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Biggest question is whether his health can hold up with a regular workload. He's missed time twice this year with leg issues and its scary to solely rely on him given that.

He's been incredible when he's played tho, analytics love him too. There have been other goalies who didn't become starters until their late 20s, so its definitely possible.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
That’s basically one season total played. He’s been a good back up. He could be a good starter. Not enough sample.
Yeah, but its not just a 7 game hot streak. Its a 7 game hot streak backed up by a seasons worth of high level performance. Obviously he's not going to sustain a .948 sv pct but he's building the case that he can be a legit starter.

Reactions: banks

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
He’s a 29 year old goalie with 71 GP. Probably a hot streak, not some hidden gem. Leafs need a real #1 goalie next season

shaner82

Apr 18, 2017
He’s a 29 year old goalie with 71 GP. Probably a hot streak, not some hidden gem. Leafs need a real #1 goalie next season

Or before commenting perhaps you should actually watch him play. Stats rarely tell the whole story. He doesn't look like a goalie on a hot streak, he looks like a goalie with absolutely top notch fundamentals. That doesn't just go away.

rajuabju

The One & Only
Dec 30, 2006
Los Angeles
I don’t think he’s ever gonna be an all star. But he’s always had the ability to be a legit 1A type .

Our goalie system has been crazy good in LA, the key is whether he can maintain it or flame out like Martin Jones or Ben Scrivens.

I think Campbell has a better chance of long term success.

Reactions: Jmo89

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
Legit 1b starter. Obviously our defense is great so that helps, but Anderssen was crap behind the same group. He won't stay undefeated but I expect his play to keep up. He should be in conversation for some top 5 vezina votes

Palio

Dec 9, 2015
He passes the eye test as a legit starter. And the small sample size worth of numbers back it up. I'm very excited to see what he can do if he can stay healthy and play the majority of the games.

The Leafs don't even need vezina level goaltending. They are playing great team defence allowing very little every game. I would settle for average goaltending at this point

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad