Jack Campbell - a legit starter or hot streak?

makbeer

Sep 28, 2006
If you look at stats, the sample size is way too small. If you've watched every game he's played (for the Leafs) like I have, you realize just how solid he is. He's always in the right place. His anticipation and positioning is top notch. He's got a calmness about him that Anderson doesn't have. Anderson seems to have to make more flashy, erratic saves, but Campbell never looks flashy because he's always in the right position.

You can tell by watching him that he's starter material. The only question is whether he can stay healthy.

If you watch he’s gotten a lot of help from the D to cover up his rebound control issues (he puts tons of pucks back into the slot) and he plays a much more old school style that sees him end up on his stomach or stacking the pads. He is very aggressive (moreso than goalie coaches teach now) which works because his D has also done a great job allowing him to focus on the shooter.

He is an old school battler which you don’t see often anymore so his hot streak could be appropriated to lack of sample size and opponents not heavily scouting him.

this is why backup QBs/goalies often have really good stats until they get a full season of film in the table for teams to scout them you see then tank.

With Soup there are two worries.

1) can he adapt his game when teams start to game plan for him
2) can he play more than 3-4 games in a row without his body breaking down. He needs to go 20+ games playing every other day in the playoffs.

I love soup and he’s the absolute perfect backup. Change of pace style wise, great teammate, hard worker and battles every night. Starter? We will only know by the end of this season.

Freddy is the significantly better technical goaltender by 2021 standards, but between the ears Soup is miles ahead and I don’t know if there’s a more mental position than goaltending.

that said if I’m the leafs I’m in the market for a goalie, you can’t be this roster on either soup or Freddy right now. It’s too thin a line to walk.

Puckrobber

Backup Netminder
Feb 28, 2016
Central Oklahoma
You can thank the Kings for making him what he is today. They traded an AHL-ECHL defenseman in Nick Ebert for him, then let Bill Ranford do his magic. I love Campbell. If not for Cal Petersen doing well, I would be missing him. I think with a year or so of continuous starting work, he'll turn into a a solid #1 goalie, whether it be for the Leafs or whoever.

Reactions: JKG33

The90

Feb 27, 2017
I don’t think it’s necessarily either or both depending on how you look at it. He was always a good backup, so wasn’t ever a poor goalie, however he is currently 7-0 and that’s obviously unsustainable. Could end up being a good starter but unlikely he’d be in the top tier.
8-0 ;)

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Next time someone complains about the media pandering to the Leafs, count how many Leaf threads have been made this week by non Leaf fans. They draw all the attention.

Its people that makes posts like these that draw all the attention. Whenever Leafs fans come into the threads you mention and post things that have nothing to do with the topic and start instantly trying to play victim like this post, it puts a target on their back for people to ridicule them. You aren’t helping the cause for yourself or your fanbase. Just learn to ignore the outside hate or rant about it on your team forum.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
He really only needs to channel his inner Jordan Binnington and have one sustained run at the right time. If he captures lightning in a bottle this spring then the Leafs will be a much tougher out.

It’s a big “If” for a career back up but he looked amazing last night.

Reactions: NyQuil

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
He really only needs to channel his inner Jordan Binnington and have one sustained run at the right time. If he captures lightning in a bottle this spring then the Leafs will be a much tougher out.

It’s a big “If” for a career back up but he looked amazing last night.

You don't seem to need a great goalie, you just need a hot goalie at the right time.

Throwing money and term at goalies is looking increasingly silly.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
You don't seem to need a great goalie, you just need a hot goalie at the right time.

Throwing money and term at goalies is looking increasingly silly.

There is a randomness to it in the playoffs for sure.

Fisticuffer

Mar 14, 2020
Definitely one of the feel good stories this season. Couldn’t happen to a nicer guy.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Probably just a hot streak. I’m hoping Du as buys into it and goes with him as a starter from now on

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
If you watch he’s gotten a lot of help from the D to cover up his rebound control issues (he puts tons of pucks back into the slot) and he plays a much more old school style that sees him end up on his stomach or stacking the pads. He is very aggressive (moreso than goalie coaches teach now) which works because his D has also done a great job allowing him to focus on the shooter.

He is an old school battler which you don’t see often anymore so his hot streak could be appropriated to lack of sample size and opponents not heavily scouting him.

this is why backup QBs/goalies often have really good stats until they get a full season of film in the table for teams to scout them you see then tank.

With Soup there are two worries.

1) can he adapt his game when teams start to game plan for him
2) can he play more than 3-4 games in a row without his body breaking down. He needs to go 20+ games playing every other day in the playoffs.

I love soup and he’s the absolute perfect backup. Change of pace style wise, great teammate, hard worker and battles every night. Starter? We will only know by the end of this season.

Freddy is the significantly better technical goaltender by 2021 standards, but between the ears Soup is miles ahead and I don’t know if there’s a more mental position than goaltending.

that said if I’m the leafs I’m in the market for a goalie, you can’t be this roster on either soup or Freddy right now. It’s too thin a line to walk.

You think the 6 other teams in the division haven't spent a good amount of time scouting the team that's been in 1st for the majority of the season?

I also find it interesting that we always hear how bad the Leafs D is, yet here they are covering up Campbell's mistakes.

Honestly I have a hard time keeping track of the reasons why the Leafs are so bad.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Not yet. If I had to guess no, I'll value the seasons before this one more than his very good 8 games so far.

Reminds me of 2012-13 when Ray Emery went 17-1, sub 2 GAA. Emery had already been a starter by that point too.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
He's always had excellent numbers.
He's a high draft pick.
He's was stuck behind Quick in LA.
He is extremely injury prone.
Goalies are voodoo and come out of nowhere.

Verdict: Who the hell knows.

Basically this

makbeer

Sep 28, 2006
You think the 6 other teams in the division haven't spent a good amount of time scouting the team that's been in 1st for the majority of the season?

I also find it interesting that we always hear how bad the Leafs D is, yet here they are covering up Campbell's mistakes.

Honestly I have a hard time keeping track of the reasons why the Leafs are so bad.

They scout the team but they have much more limited books on the backup goalie. Partially because they don’t have enough recent film on Campbell to identify clear tendencies and partly because teams only have so many hours they can spend and there are 20 players and another goalie they need to scout before him. In a condensed season you’d be surprised how little time teams have to spend on film. You can get some general themes but I guarantee you the book and trends analysis they have on Freddy and the one they have on soup are totally different in depth.

leafs D has been good this season. Stop living in the past.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad