Jérémy Roy (31st overall)

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
I only saw 2 periods yesterday, but Roy looked great. Very poised, very smart. I'm excited about him now.

Hangemhigh

Dec 20, 2013
Too skinny for the NHL right now. Why don't they wait until next year to sign him? Is there an advantage to signing him now?

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Too skinny for the NHL right now. Why don't they wait until next year to sign him? Is there an advantage to signing him now?

As long as he plays in Jr his contract will continue to "slide" and essentially it makes no difference whether they signed him now or a year or two from now.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Having him signed also gives the organization up to 9 games to play him in the regular season before the first year of the contract is burned. And keep him in camp longer.

Junior players (drafted, but not signed; or ATOs) must be returned about a week before the NHL season starts.

I think it more than likely he'll return to CHL. (While the three potential CHL over agers might be signed and stay in SJ.)

Roy's parents are currently in town watching his early camp activities.

Hangemhigh

Dec 20, 2013
Having him signed also gives the organization up to 9 games to play him in the regular season before the first year of the contract is burned. And keep him in camp longer.

Junior players (drafted, but not signed; or ATOs) must be returned about a week before the NHL season starts.

I think it more than likely he'll return to CHL. (While the three potential CHL over agers might be signed and stay in SJ.)

Roy's parents are currently in town watching his early camp activities.

OK, keeping him in camp longer makes sense.
Otherwise, they could sign him when he is ready for 9 games after the camp.

Hangemhigh

Dec 20, 2013
As long as he plays in Jr his contract will continue to "slide" and essentially it makes no difference whether they signed him now or a year or two from now.

So the safer way would be to sign him later.
It could be a way to instill loyalty to the organization or increase his confidence.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
It could be a way to instill loyalty to the organization or increase his confidence.

How is it safer to sign him later? Junior players can and do hold out if not shown good faith by the nhl club. Sign him early and make sure that player is your property for the next 7 years minimum.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

There's no safety issue involved, really. The only way he makes it past 9 games and burns a contract year is if he comes in and just plain blows the doors off everyone's expectations and shows he belongs in the NHL as a teenager, á la Vlasic. At which point you're no longer wasting a contract year because he would deserve to play and is contributing something to the team. Otherwise he goes back down during/after camp or the preseason, or even during/after term the 9 game audition and the contract slides and next year he comes into camp still having a full length ELS deal ahead of him. Just like this year. Only way this turns out bad is if the Sharks go full Oilers and keep him up for a couple months before sending him back to Jr like what happened to Draisaitl. But that's highly unlikely to happen and the risk of it is worth it in light of the security for signing him now.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
I don't think we keep him up. Even though he looked good, he still got out muscled a few times and could use more time to grow into his body. He did throw a couple good hits though, mostly in protecting forecheckers from the puck, and stood his ground, but against grown men I'm not sure how he would be.

But what evs. We can afford to let him grow for a couple years before bringing him up full time. I can't wait to see this kid develop.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Is he an RD or LD? Looking at that play by play video, he's playing the left side but he's right handed.

Sherbrooke has a lot of RHD, which is rarely something you see. He was very often paired with Neill, who is also a righty, so Roy would often play on the left-handed side. Rarely do you see righties able to play both sides, but it's the case for Jérémy. It's certainly a testimony of his off-the-charts smarts/hockey IQ.

penaltykiller

Feb 19, 2007
province of quebec
Sherbrooke was winless in their 4 games without Roy. They are currently in their 2nd game back with him (and 2 other guys back from training camps) and he has 6 points in 2 games so far. They are in the 3rd period and Sherbrooke is about to win again.

Last edited:

hockeey

Oct 28, 2014
CA
Just watched the Sherbrooke game from the 27th and I was extremely impressed with Roy. Insane composure and finesse. Probably the sharks prospect I'm most excited about.

Vanier on the other hand had a couple nice plays but I wasn't very impressed with him. Pretty slow still although he has improved from what I saw when he was first drafted. Had a couple nice steps on offense and was okay on defense overall but when he gets the puck he kind of just throws it forward blindly a lot of the time. Unless he makes any significant changes to his skating though, I don't think he has a future in the NHL.

Hangemhigh

Dec 20, 2013
How is it safer to sign him later? Junior players can and do hold out if not shown good faith by the nhl club. Sign him early and make sure that player is your property for the next 7 years minimum.

I didn't remember that Juniors could refuse to sign and holdout as it is rare. So safer to sign him now as he is a future NHL star.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I didn't remember that Juniors could refuse to sign and holdout as it is rare. So safer to sign him now as he is a future NHL star.

Its rare because the player is in essence putting his nhl career on hold. And there is no guarantee being entered back into the draft will mean a better team or even that he will be drafted again.

Weip

Oct 3, 2008
Sherbrooke
What a happy guy with his first star of the week.

12087083_1096896140335425_6759759576991345397_o.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad