Jérémy Roy (31st overall)

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
2hhkmj7.jpg

SCOUTING REPORTS

Jeremy Roy is a gifted two-way defenceman that establishes his presence on the ice through playing authoritative hockey, with and without the puck. His absolute and total awareness of other players' positions on the ice is a testament to his incredible knowledge of the game. Roy possesses the intangibles of maturity and character that can't be taught, as well as the individual skill that turns heads every time he is on the ice. All-in-all, a highly intelligent defenceman that plays high-percentage hockey and is a catalyst for positive plays in all three zones. (Curtis Joe, EP 2014)

When talking to scouts about Jeremy Roy, the name Duncan Keith often shows up in the same sentence; the offensive and defensive traits embodied by the Chicago Blackhawks star defenseman seem to be akin to what the young Roy aspires to.
- http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=151150

"Jeremy is a very good puck-moving defenseman. He skates well and plays a physical game. He's a right shot that often played left side. He can quarterback the power play and he's highly skilled with the puck."
- NHL Central Scouting's Troy Dumville

"Elite skating defender who is compact-sized but whose offensive prowess and skating burst is giant-sized. An aggressive attacker who also uses his acceleration, powerful leg drive, and stick to get back in position after the puck goes back in transition. He plays fairly physical and handles attackers and the front and has decent gap control and stays with attackers. His true strength is his as a dynamic attacker and puck carrier who understands the tempo and can slow down the play but also feels in an instant that window to aggressively explode the zone with either an aggressive pass or even by going straight into the slot and letting the puck fly. Very solid puck handler who is strong on his carries but also precision-like in his outlets and set-ups."
- Bill Placzek of DraftSite.com

An offensively gifted defenseman who is solid in the defensive zone…has a real smooth stride and is pretty mobile…very mature game with strong positioning and smart with the puck…tough to separate from it as he has a heavy stick…makes terrific passes and rarely has anything intercepted…has a good point shot as well and he gets it on net…has the vision and creativity to QB a PP…solid defensively, using his smarts and his strong stick to break up plays and take away chances…uses his strength on defense to play physically down low and contain his man…used in all situations…a big presence on the ice and slows down the play when the puck is on his stick.

A quick-moving offensive defenseman, Jeremy Roy took quite a step forward in his development this season. The 6’0, 183-pound defender was given an ‘A’ on his jersey this year, and, despite injuries, played through 46 regular season games and recorded 43 points. He also had five points in six playoff games.

Given his team’s early playoff exit, he was named to Canada’s U18 World Championship team, where he again impressed. He scored three goals in seven games, despite scoring just five in 43 games with Sherbrooke, and was one of the team’s top all-around defensemen. He has a high hockey IQ and, combined with his skating and offensive skills, he should be a first-round pick in this draft.
- HF

Here’s a guy that’s bounced up and down the board all year. At one point, he was a potential top ten pick, though that ship seems to have sailed. He scores nearly a point-per-game (albeit, in the QMJHL, where final scores look like football scores) and has a high hockey IQ. He’s not as big as Carlo, but is still fairly solid at 6’0, 183, and has an uncanny ability to spot guy on the ice that others may not notice.

STYLE COMPARISON: Drew Doughty
- @TPLHockey

2015 NHL draft profile Jeremy Roy

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
I love this pick and I love that the Sharks made a move to get him.

They don't have a single prospect in their pipeline that projects as a top 4 offensive d-man that can be a PPQB and considering Roy's talent I think he's the orgs best D prospect.

This pick makes me feel better that they went kinda safe with in the 1st round.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
Awesome. Exactly the type of player most wanted in the 2nd. Sounds like this kid could have potentially gone in the 1st round, no?

Odd that Button has his skating as being a bit mediocre. The other reports above say it's a strength…

PROJECTION: NO. 3 OFFENSIVE DEFENCEMAN
Jeremy’s game is based on strong play with the puck. He has that ability in all areas; defensively, offensively and in transition. Great poise with the puck and he makes strong decisions that create advantages for his team. His speed is not exceptional but his mental pace of play is outstanding. A strong competitor who finds ways to meet the challenges.

NHL COMPARABLE: DAN BOYLE, NEW YORK RANGERS :naughty:

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
These player comparisons have gotten out of control.

Comparisons are bound to happen. I get that you don't like them but that is just how it is.

Also, when people compare one player to another they are not expecting them to have identical careers. In most cases it is a stylistic comparison (right or wrong).

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Comparisons are bound to happen. I get that you don't like them but that is just how it is.

Also, when people compare one player to another they are not expecting them to have identical careers. In most cases it is a stylistic comparison (right or wrong).

Ya, I know. But comparing an undersize d-man who needs work on his defensive game and improve his skating to one of the top 3 elite skating two way blueliners in the NHL is pretty laughable in my opinion.

penaltykiller

Feb 19, 2007
province of quebec
I am from Sherbrooke. I can make a few comments about him. The plus/minus has to do with the fact that he was by far and away our no 1 def at age 16/17 on an expansion team. Last year, we were last.

He is a quarterback on the PP. He played most of the year on the left side since our team had mostly RHD.

We got ourselves a LHD in the person of Alexis Vanier so I guess I have to keep you updated on him as well.

I was clamoring for the habs to draft him with the 26th pick. In the end , I am glad I won't have to cheer against him.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Super happy about this pick. Roy was one of my favorite guys in the draft. One of the guys I wanted us to trade to get a 1st to select. The fact that we got him in the 2nd is amazingly lucky.

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
This is going to be our best pick of the 2015 draft.

1st round talent.

The cost initially looked steep but in retrospect, it's good value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad