Jérémy Roy (31st overall)

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I don't know, both Ryan & KA play well rounded games though neither have great upside, but ya, the D pipeline was completely lacking in a player like Roy.

If he 'hits' he's the kind of player that could possibly make Mueller work in a top pairing role.

I think he can get there. Getting drafted is a huge boost of confidence. Being at training camp and around Vlasic and Burns will only push him harder.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I don't know, both Ryan & KA play well rounded games though neither have great upside, but ya, the D pipeline was completely lacking in a player like Roy.

If he 'hits' he's the kind of player that could possibly make Mueller work in a top pairing role.

So you generally take the route that Roy > Mueller? Is that more an appreciation of Roy or a criticism of Mueller?

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
So you generally take the route that Roy > Mueller? Is that more an appreciation of Roy or a criticism of Mueller?

Like Gene said, they'd most likely complement each other. Usually a defensively minded defenseman tops out as 2nd pairing unless they're ridiculously good like Hamhuis or Vlasic and to lesser extents Braun and Hjalmarsson who are more like number 3 guys who could easily complement on a top pairing. It's pretty unlikely Mueller gets to Vlasic levels but I don't think it's totally out of the question for him to be a top 4 that could complement on the first pair.

Also kind of a testament to the defensive depth of the 2015 draft. Lots of good guys ranked near the end of the 1st round/beginning of the 2nd.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
If you had told me that we'd get one of the top two RHD in this draft for our 2nd+Brad Stuart+6th, I'd have been absolutely thrilled.

This was a nice pick up. I am okay with Meier, but this is the highlight of the draft from my perspective.

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
If you had told me that we'd get one of the top two RHD in this draft for our 2nd+Brad Stuart+6th, I'd have been absolutely thrilled.

This was a nice pick up. I am okay with Meier, but this is the highlight of the draft from my perspective.

Agreed, very excited about Roy. But I wish we had taken Ratanen instead of Meier.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Here he is playing midget hockey at 15.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6dDpvbjIk8

The Habs missed the boat big time ignoring this kid.
It's the same idiot scouting chief who looked over Claude Giroux for David Fischer.

3 Days late and to a poster who's probably no longer monitoring the thread, but I'm re-reading Gare Joyce's book Future Greats & Heartbreaks (great read to the behind-the-curtain aspects of scouting. Even better now that you have like 9 years of history to put the events of the book into context) and it was funny to notice this morning that in going over a bunch of names for the 06 draft in the Columbus draft prep, David Fischer's name came up. The Jackets tagged him as "No Draft". They wouldn't touch him no matter what round. :laugh:

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009
With Winnipeg's logjam on D, any chance we could get Morrissey?

What would it take?

Roy and Morrissey in the pipeline would be awesome

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

The 6th came with Stuart, no?

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
3 Days late and to a poster who's probably no longer monitoring the thread, but I'm re-reading Gare Joyce's book Future Greats & Heartbreaks (great read to the behind-the-curtain aspects of scouting. Even better now that you have like 9 years of history to put the events of the book into context) and it was funny to notice this morning that in going over a bunch of names for the 06 draft in the Columbus draft prep, David Fischer's name came up. The Jackets tagged him as "No Draft". They wouldn't touch him no matter what round. :laugh:

Speaking of Gare Joyce, I was looking up stuff on first nations players right after Price sweeped the awards and talked about First Nations hockey and I cacme across an article by him about Cheechoo. Pretty good read.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?section=magazine&id=3634275

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Absolutely fantastic pick. Not super happy about Timo, but, this more than makes up for it. He's definitely first round talent. I wouldn't be shocked at all if he ended up being better than Meier.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Speaking of Gare Joyce, I was looking up stuff on first nations players right after Price sweeped the awards and talked about First Nations hockey and I cacme across an article by him about Cheechoo. Pretty good read.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?section=magazine&id=3634275

Yeah, I've seen that. It's a really cool read.

Have you read the book I mentioned? If you like all the nuts and bolts of scouting and the draft it's really interesting to see them pull back the curtain and sit in on Blue Jackets' draft room and interview process and whatnot, all surrounding the 2006 draft with Kessel and (the Jackets' eventual pick) Brassard and his Royal Toewsness. There's also a lot of time spent on scouting and watching games critically at tournaments and stuff. And things like Kessel bombing his CBJ interview or David Fischer being tagged as "do not draft"

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Yeah, I've seen that. It's a really cool read.

Have you read the book I mentioned? If you like all the nuts and bolts of scouting and the draft it's really interesting to see them pull back the curtain and sit in on Blue Jackets' draft room and interview process and whatnot, all surrounding the 2006 draft with Kessel and (the Jackets' eventual pick) Brassard and his Royal Toewsness. There's also a lot of time spent on scouting and watching games critically at tournaments and stuff. And things like Kessel bombing his CBJ interview or David Fischer being tagged as "do not draft"

I tend to not read sports books but I'll look into, it sounds pretty cool.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Just ordered it off of Amazon. Thanks for the suggestion.

Did you buy that used hardcover that was $15? Because I don't see it there anymore. It's a shame the book is out of print now though and the only options are to get it for like $30 off the marketplace or buy the Kindle version for $13.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Did you buy that used hardcover that was $15? Because I don't see it there anymore. It's a shame the book is out of print now though and the only options are to get it for like $30 off the marketplace or buy the Kindle version for $13.

Yea I bought that one. Sorry to anyone that wanted it for cheap :laugh: I'll sell it to one of you guys if you want it once im done.

hockeey

Oct 28, 2014
CA
Probably the sharks prospect im most excited about. Only real issue with him is his awkward skating but if he cleans that up and can improve his shot I think he can be a great dman.

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!

Just finished this book, a good read for sure. Some talk on Sharks propsects from that time which I found interesting. I am suprised at what an old boys network scouting was back then, cant help but think that advanced stats is gonna change this, if it hasnt already.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad